U17 Football Championship

Started by Itchy, May 04, 2017, 09:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

Why were they those black jerseys?
I heard someone say on Sunday that they don't wear the Tyrone crest because they're still in the academy and have to earn the right to wear the senior jersey. I thought it sounded crazy. Anyone else hear this?

Rois

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 29, 2017, 12:11:49 AM
I heard someone say on Sunday that they don't wear the Tyrone crest because they're still in the academy and have to earn the right to wear the senior jersey. I thought it sounded crazy. Anyone else hear this?
Absolutely right Fuzzman, the whole concept of the Acadamh structures means that they don't get the white jersey til they make the senior team. It was felt that there was an issue with boys making it into one of the development squads and thinking they had "made it" full stop, and became complacent when they had all the gear. They wear their club jerseys to training.

mrhardyannual

Quote from: Rois on August 29, 2017, 06:20:16 AM
Absolutely right Fuzzman, the whole concept of the Acadamh structures means that they don't get the white jersey til they make the senior team. It was felt that there was an issue with boys making it into one of the development squads and thinking they had "made it" full stop, and became complacent when they had all the gear. They wear their club jerseys to training.
That's a protocol worth considering. Selection for and retention in academies in Mayo is highly problematic.

AZOffaly

Same in Tipp. Academy squads wear Blue and Gold jerseys, but they are not the same jerseys as the 'Adult' teams.

GlenMan

Surely everyone who really follows Tyrone GAA should know this? The Acadamh structure including jersey and crest have been like this for a couple of years and well publicised.

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 29, 2017, 03:08:50 PM

Same in Tipp. Academy squads wear Blue and Gold jerseys, but they are not the same jerseys as the 'Adult' teams.

Must be common enough, Down academy players play in black jerseys.

mrhardyannual

Does this competition now merit having a final on All Ireland Senior Final Sunday in coming years?

AZOffaly

I believe that's the plan. Effectively this is the new 'Minor'.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 31, 2017, 02:52:05 PM
I believe that's the plan. Effectively this is the new 'Minor'.
I remember reading elsewhere that next years U17 All Ireland will be officially known as minor and the same cup that will be presented to Derry or Kerry this September will be given to the 2018 winners.

Orchard park

Minor is u17 next year onwards.

this was a one off competition to cater for 1st yr minors who would miss out next year effectively

AZOffaly

Quote from: Orchard park on August 31, 2017, 04:06:19 PM
Minor is u17 next year onwards.

this was a one off competition to cater for 1st yr minors who would miss out next year effectively

Yes, basically this is the Minor championship from now on.

Rossfan

This year's U17 is officially a "Competition"
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rossfan

Ros lost the U16s Ted Webb Cup Final tonight by a point to Galway City/West. We led by 3 pts going into injury time,  conceded 1-1 then.
Gave away 3 very avoidable goals but letting Galway run the length of the pitch for the 3rd was criminal.
Was an excellent game otherwise.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on September 09, 2017, 12:10:06 AM
Ros lost the U16s Ted Webb Cup Final tonight by a point to Galway City/West. We led by 3 pts going into injury time,  conceded 1-1 then.
Gave away 3 very avoidable goals but letting Galway run the length of the pitch for the 3rd was criminal.
Was an excellent game otherwise.

Roscommon teams are immune to taking a card to close out a game. Do the dirt and don't be a mug, the other teams are fully willing to do it to us when they're ahead at the end. Hopefully the lads learn that lesson as they have every chance in the Fr. Manning and in Connacht next year.