Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

Quote from: maddog on April 10, 2013, 03:38:34 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on April 09, 2013, 10:38:51 PM
Lads, I haven't been on a bike for about 10 years but have been approached about a couple of charity cycles, each around 80 miles, at the end of the summer.
Not sure I want to get into spending big money as don't think I would keep the cycling up afterwards. I am reading here about boys spending £800-£1200 on bikes. Is there any point in me going out and buying a basic racer at about £200 or am I just wasting my money?

For about £300-£350 you would be able to pick up a 2nd hand one that would do for what you want it for. There are loads of them out there, i picked up a bianchi bike for a mate a few weeks back £350, alu frame with carbon fork, full shimano ultegra throughout in mint condition as the guy had "upgraded" on the cycle to work scheme.
You would be far better to do this than spend the same amount on a new more basic bike.

Cheers MD (and MR2).
As a quick education in what to look out for. i.e. what is the difference between what I get for

£1000: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_789235_langId_-1_categoryId_165710

£500: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_810601_langId_-1_categoryId_165710

£200: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_912087_langId_-1_categoryId_165710

bennydorano

On a sliding scale the less money you spend the poorer quality your bike will be:

Frame quality & weight, goes up from Steel, Alu, to Carbon. Cheapest are steel, mid range Alu.

Groupset / Gearing, Shimano's goes from 2300, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra, Dura Ace. Your cheapest is below 2300, so it'll not be smooth & have fewer gears.

Wheels:  Heavier & poorer performing the cheaper they are.

Tyres: Same, as you pay more they become better performing, cheap tyres can be  durable but awful performance wise.

In my own experience a shite bike might put you off altogether, comfort is the most important thing imo, if you're not comfortable you're screwed, so sizing is vital, frame geometries vary with bikes too, some with a more race minded design others with a relaxed set up. Trek have the simplest system, H1, H2 & H3 designs racey to relaxed/sportive.

LeoMc

Quote from: bennydorano on April 22, 2013, 01:46:45 PM
On a sliding scale the less money you spend the poorer quality your bike will be:

Frame quality & weight, goes up from Steel, Alu, to Carbon. Cheapest are steel, mid range Alu.

Groupset / Gearing, Shimano's goes from 2300, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra, Dura Ace. Your cheapest is below 2300, so it'll not be smooth & have fewer gears.

Wheels:  Heavier & poorer performing the cheaper they are.

Tyres: Same, as you pay more they become better performing, cheap tyres can be  durable but awful performance wise.

In my own experience a shite bike might put you off altogether, comfort is the most important thing imo, if you're not comfortable you're screwed, so sizing is vital, frame geometries vary with bikes too, some with a more race minded design others with a relaxed set up. Trek have the simplest system, H1, H2 & H3 designs racey to relaxed/sportive.

Cheers Benny, a lot of common sense in what you say re comfort, performance and weight (wheels & frame) but the bit about gears is double dutch to me. I need it broken down further.

Are 2300, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra, Dura Ace brand names for the different levels of Shimano gear sets?
Are Shimano the bench mark for gear sets?

bennydorano

They are, in theory Dura Ace is the lightest & best performing Shimano groupset. Sram & Campagnolo are other brands, Shimano is the most popular on these shores.

On a progressing scale of expense & performance Sram has, Apex, Rival, Force & Red

Campagnolo has Xenon, Veloce, Centaur, Athena, Record & Super Record.

Each has Electronic options at the top ends.

gerry

Done this on Sunday,  Map my ride

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

JimStynes

Good stuff. Anyone doing the maracycle at the end of June? Signing up for it myself. Never did that sort of distance before but I'll give it a go!

bennydorano

Early days in the Giro but think Cadel Evans is looking well up for it, backed him there EW at 14/1. Wiggins losing time in lost bonuses & getting caught in crashes, TT on Saturday will tell a tale, but Wiggins still Evens fav. I'd lay him all day on Betfair.

Pan flat 2moro, Cavendish odds on for the stage, backed Roberto Ferrari @ 33's for an intetest - took a stage last year taking Cav out by the root in the process.

Orior

I did the Portadown towpath to Newry and back last weekend. My only issue was a lack of useful cycling signposts once you get in to Newry - I would have liked to go on out the Omeath road
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

gerry

Great to see new teams attacking each day, makes a change from a sky leadout.  Cav didn't look great on the hills yesterday and probably gave up and saved his energy until today.  The TT will sort out the GC cyclists this weekend.  Its a pity dan or nico not in it to give us somebody to shout for.

bennydorano

Wiggins is having some shocking bad luck in the Giro. Crashes & yesterdays spill, Puncture & bike change knobbles his TT hopes today and hampers his expected GC recovery.

gerry

Wiggins was lucky not to have dropped more time today, his confidence in descending in the rain seems to have  gone

Maguire01

Quote from: Orior on April 15, 2013, 10:07:45 AM
Joe Brolly's Life Cycle - you can register now

http://makelifeyourlegacy.com/
Anyone else on here doing this? Might do the short one - I've managed to get the bike out of the garage for the first time this weekend for two fairly short spins (wind was savage tonight!) so not ready to push the distance just yet.

gerry

Quote(wind was savage tonight!)

i never seen a year as much wind between the rain and the wind yesterday it was tough going.

Orior

Quote from: gerry on May 13, 2013, 07:59:18 PM
Quote(wind was savage tonight!)

i never seen a year as much wind between the rain and the wind yesterday it was tough going.

Indeed. That is why my bike stayed in the garage yesterday and I went for a jog in the rain.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

JimStynes

Went round the lough on sunday. 82 mile in serious wind and rain! Tough going.