Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_cuervo_fc

Benny there is a 50km cycle on Saturday from Madden to Tyholland and back to raise money defibrillators. Are you doing it?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bennydorano on August 07, 2012, 05:53:26 PM
You're coming into the period when it's a good time to buy a bike, (online mainly) stockists are already lining up 2013 stock and start to discount heavily in the next couple of months, so you could pick up a .£700 yoke for in around 500.

If I were you  I'd get some freebie advice  at a local bike shop, size etc...and then buy online - take a look at Evanscycles, wiggle,  winstanley bikes & the like.

Cheers benny, I'm borrowing a racing bike for the race but will have to invest in one for next year, hopefully Santa is checking in on GAA Board
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Eamonnca1

Can't remember if I've posted this already but if you're taking it even half seriously then you'll get a lot more out of it if you join a cycling club.  Even if you're not racing you'll still learn a lot more about how to train, where to train, how to pace yourself, even how to maintain your bike and where to get the best deals etc.  Riding in groups is always better crack than riding on your own too, makes it a lot more interesting.  Also motivates you to keep at it because it's so much more enjoyable.  When you're chatting to your mates it takes your mind off how much it might be hurting. Plus the safety-in-numbers thing...

bennydorano

Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on August 07, 2012, 07:18:49 PM
Benny there is a 50km cycle on Saturday from Madden to Tyholland and back to raise money defibrillators. Are you doing it?
There's quite a few of the harps guys doing it, i dont  think i will be about.

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: bennydorano on August 07, 2012, 09:37:56 PM
Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on August 07, 2012, 07:18:49 PM
There's quite a few of the harps guys doing it, i dont  think i will be about.

I might take a wee run at it.  I think it's leaving at 14:30 so there should be plenty of time to get back before the Ogs match

supersarsfields

Just a wee plug for a Charity cycle our Club (Drumragh) are running this weekend in the Omagh area. Options of either 30 or 60 miles.

All the details are on the facebook page below. Or if you need any other info drop me a PM. 

https://www.facebook.com/FriendsOfCathalCycle

Milltown Row2

I'm doing a sprint triathlon on Sunday, Have been going fine recently but did the route for the bike run on Sunday, now I'd a function on the Saturday night :o, I know poor prep and all that, in truth I was hammered the night before, but thought sure it's only 21 k.

The route was far harder than I thought (though the drink didn't help) , fairly hilly and to be honest knocked me a bit. Took 55 Min's (I'd been doing 12 miles in 42/45 mins) and my arse was fooking aching, now I've been cycling a bit of late (same distance, different route) and never had any effects. Also developed a bitta cramp, the thought of running after the bike run was going to be difficult.

What prep work (stretches/light runs?) would you do leading up to this race? Obviously I'll be laying off the drink but, types of meals/breakfast and energy foods would you take on-board?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

el_cuervo_fc

Dehydration would be a big factor in getting cramps. I done "Lap the Lough" on Sunday and found myself getting cramps about ten minutes after taking any of those energy gels.

bennydorano

High 5 zero tablets do the job for me in regards to cramp, just drop 1 or 2 into your bottles.

gerry

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 28, 2012, 12:38:58 PM
I'm doing a sprint triathlon on Sunday, Have been going fine recently but did the route for the bike run on Sunday, now I'd a function on the Saturday night :o, I know poor prep and all that, in truth I was hammered the night before, but thought sure it's only 21 k.

The route was far harder than I thought (though the drink didn't help) , fairly hilly and to be honest knocked me a bit. Took 55 Min's (I'd been doing 12 miles in 42/45 mins) and my arse was fooking aching, now I've been cycling a bit of late (same distance, different route) and never had any effects. Also developed a bitta cramp, the thought of running after the bike run was going to be difficult.

What prep work (stretches/light runs?) would you do leading up to this race? Obviously I'll be laying off the drink but, types of meals/breakfast and energy foods would you take on-board?

a good article here

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/fitness/article/the-best-carbs-to-eat-for-cycling-34900/
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Milltown Row2

Quote from: gerry on August 29, 2012, 11:04:17 PM

a good article here

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/fitness/article/the-best-carbs-to-eat-for-cycling-34900/

Completed my first Triathlon, good craic, manic in the pool and the bike run was a hill for 9 percent of the way but did all right. Some serious competitors there

Abble

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 02, 2012, 01:26:04 PM

a good article here

Completed my first Triathlon, good craic, manic in the pool and the bike run was a hill for 9 percent of the way but did all right. Some serious competitors there

Well done MR2, take my hat off to you. I enjoy a bit of cycling and general fitness but I would never consider doing a triathlon, the mere thought of it terrifies me, you're a good one.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Abble on September 02, 2012, 01:41:09 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 02, 2012, 01:26:04 PM

a good article here

Well done MR2, take my hat off to you. I enjoy a bit of cycling and general fitness but I would never consider doing a triathlon, the mere thought of it terrifies me, you're a good one.

1.45 mins, chuffed considering it's me first. Disappointed with my bike run but was a hilly enough route. Biking aint my strong point, both swim and run were 21 mins, probably save a min on transation but overall happy. Target would be full Triathlon

gerry

good man milltown.  i find it hard enough on the bike
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Milltown Row2

Quote from: gerry on September 02, 2012, 11:44:45 PM
good man milltown.  i find it hard enough on the bike

About 5/6 lads passed me on the bike on route, and they fooking glided past me!!! I was on a decent racing bike and these lads weren't in any trouble, caught two of the fat shits on the road running thought!!!

Well run and over 230 competitors. A couple of DF and they weren't happy!!