Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: maddog on July 10, 2012, 10:55:39 AM
Quote from: illdecide on July 10, 2012, 10:41:06 AM
Benny i'd say your not far off there as i always get a really sore lower back too, but how do you know what the right settings are? I think i need to invest in a pair of cycling shorts that are not as tight too

As a general rule your saddle should be set so that when your foot is on the pedal and the crank is facing straight down there should be only the smallest of bends in your knee. The saddle then should be around 2-4 inches higher than your handlebar stem, and if you butt your elbow up to the front end of the saddle and stretch your fingers down the stem, your fingers should reach about half way down the length of the stem. If you are set up anything like that then you cant be that far off.

The ball of your foot on the pedal and perpendicular to your leg?

Just got this yesterday for commuting and want to set it up properly...

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

maddog

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 10, 2012, 03:24:18 PM
Quote from: maddog on July 10, 2012, 10:55:39 AM
Quote from: illdecide on July 10, 2012, 10:41:06 AM
Benny i'd say your not far off there as i always get a really sore lower back too, but how do you know what the right settings are? I think i need to invest in a pair of cycling shorts that are not as tight too

As a general rule your saddle should be set so that when your foot is on the pedal and the crank is facing straight down there should be only the smallest of bends in your knee. The saddle then should be around 2-4 inches higher than your handlebar stem, and if you butt your elbow up to the front end of the saddle and stretch your fingers down the stem, your fingers should reach about half way down the length of the stem. If you are set up anything like that then you cant be that far off.

The ball of your foot on the pedal and perpendicular to your leg?

Just got this yesterday for commuting and want to set it up properly...

The ball of your foot on the pedal but the pedal at the bottom of the revolution (as low as it will go to the floor)
Nice bike

trueblue1234

Bite the bullet and bought a second hand Dawes Giro 300 for £200 last night. Just couldn't believe how light bikes are now compared to the ones I was used to that could quite easily have taken the weight of the titanic.

Hoping to get out tonight for a short run if all goes well. 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

illdecide

Portadown to Newry tomorrow morning up the towpath...just hope don't run into any parades (as i have to get to portadown)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

the Deel Rover

Just wondering have any of the lads here done a dualaton type event (gaelforce , sea to summitt) if so would ye have a training programme doing quite a bit of running at the moment but really like cycling as well any help appreciated.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Puckoon

Since every hoor and his granny are cycling these days I thought id get in on the act. Bought myself a Trek road bike and a host of accessories today and am headed out for my first spin. Thinking a wee 15 miler with a few stops along the way. Ceol Irish pub, shenanigans English pub, and maybe Foleys Irish house. It's 102 out there, you'd hate to end up dehydrated.

Puckoon

No wonder everyone is cycling! 7 pints of Magners, a Chinese and a pitch black ride home I've finished my first run. Good times.

BTW those f**king road bikes can fairly motor going down hill. Was fecking petrified a few times!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Puckoon on July 16, 2012, 05:57:45 AM
No wonder everyone is cycling! 7 pints of Magners, a Chinese and a pitch black ride home I've finished my first run. Good times.

BTW those f**king road bikes can fairly motor going down hill. Was fecking petrified a few times!
:D Have to question your refuelling strategy sir!

Abble

Quote from: maddog on July 07, 2012, 10:16:24 PM
Quote from: Abble on July 07, 2012, 08:51:38 PM
yeah, going to look further into this, as you know benny. i wear glasses, sometimes if its sunny i'll stick on sunglasses but it was the same problem. It could be some kind of drying out on my eyes, so might try eyedrops as well. i googled amazon there and also noticed straps on some frames, would be interested in them.

also while i'm on, i have to say i'm really enjoying it since starting cycling over 6/7 weeks ago or so now. during a cycle i have all sorts of moments when i think i'm about to keel over but then i get a second wind or something and them i'm able to start pushing hard again, its unlike anything else i've ever done before requiring fitness, it can be v v hard but also enjoyable. getting to experience different conditions, both weather and road surface etc. getting to know better when to push and not to push myself, ie pace myself.
i'll bat on with 25 milers and then push for a few 30milers before the summers out and then think about entering a sportive or two for 2013. 

also i've yet to clean my bike, but i now have the degreaser, lubricant etc, so maybe tomorrow i'll get it cleaned up !! :)

Abble, sounds like exact same problem as i had. Wearing glasses on the bike isnt great as it doesnt keep out enough of the wind and the bugs. Anyway i got round it by ordering a pair of cycling glasses with prescription inserts that clip in behind the ordinary sunglass lens. Cheapest i could see for these locally was Tesco who wanted £120, ordered a pair for £12 of ebay that come from Hong Kong. Got local optician then to fit the prescription lens into the inserts (£23) and was sorted from there. No more streaming eyes or flys getting in. Happy days. Got a 35 mile charity spin tomorrow and guess what the forecast is ::)

maddog, where were you getting those prescription lens' for your inserts ?
I priced two places in armagh today, 55 and 58stg. didn't think it'd be so high. wonder would i get them online ?

anyway, i plunged for these in the endup $36 incl p&p, nice fitting, cant wait to test
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110641392264?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

maddog

Quote from: Abble on July 27, 2012, 07:56:25 PM
Quote from: maddog on July 07, 2012, 10:16:24 PM
Quote from: Abble on July 07, 2012, 08:51:38 PM
yeah, going to look further into this, as you know benny. i wear glasses, sometimes if its sunny i'll stick on sunglasses but it was the same problem. It could be some kind of drying out on my eyes, so might try eyedrops as well. i googled amazon there and also noticed straps on some frames, would be interested in them.

also while i'm on, i have to say i'm really enjoying it since starting cycling over 6/7 weeks ago or so now. during a cycle i have all sorts of moments when i think i'm about to keel over but then i get a second wind or something and them i'm able to start pushing hard again, its unlike anything else i've ever done before requiring fitness, it can be v v hard but also enjoyable. getting to experience different conditions, both weather and road surface etc. getting to know better when to push and not to push myself, ie pace myself.
i'll bat on with 25 milers and then push for a few 30milers before the summers out and then think about entering a sportive or two for 2013. 

also i've yet to clean my bike, but i now have the degreaser, lubricant etc, so maybe tomorrow i'll get it cleaned up !! :)

Abble, sounds like exact same problem as i had. Wearing glasses on the bike isnt great as it doesnt keep out enough of the wind and the bugs. Anyway i got round it by ordering a pair of cycling glasses with prescription inserts that clip in behind the ordinary sunglass lens. Cheapest i could see for these locally was Tesco who wanted £120, ordered a pair for £12 of ebay that come from Hong Kong. Got local optician then to fit the prescription lens into the inserts (£23) and was sorted from there. No more streaming eyes or flys getting in. Happy days. Got a 35 mile charity spin tomorrow and guess what the forecast is ::)

maddog, where were you getting those prescription lens' for your inserts ?
I priced two places in armagh today, 55 and 58stg. didn't think it'd be so high. wonder would i get them online ?

anyway, i plunged for these in the endup $36 incl p&p, nice fitting, cant wait to test
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110641392264?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Here you go abble, im sure if you posted the inserts and your prescription they would sort you out.

DIRECT SPECS LTD

111 STRATFORD RD, SHIRLEY
B90 3ND SOLIHULL, WEST MIDLANDS

Phone: 0121 7449372

Orior

Quote from: illdecide on July 11, 2012, 04:15:58 PM
Portadown to Newry tomorrow morning up the towpath...just hope don't run into any parades (as i have to get to portadown)

How did it go? Did you do the return journey too?

Sorry, I forgot to set up a roadblock at Poyntzpass (the highest point of your cycle as the canal flows in two different directions.

I'm never cycling on the Belfast to Lisburn towpath again on a Sunday. It was full of people, and one t**t who decided to step out in front of me at the very last moment. Thanks to my speed of reaction, I didnt knock her down, but i wish I had.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

bennydorano

Nicolas Roche to join Saxo Tinkoff next season to be a domestique for Contador  http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/12548/Roche-puts-Tour-personal-ambitions-on-hold-to-ride-under-Contador-at-Saxo-Bank-Tinkoff-Bank.aspx

Could be seen as a strange career move, leaving a team leader role to become a domestique, but reading the article he seems to know what he wants.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Orior on July 29, 2012, 08:12:06 PM
I'm never cycling on the Belfast to Lisburn towpath again on a Sunday. It was full of people, and one t**t who decided to step out in front of me at the very last moment. Thanks to my speed of reaction, I didnt knock her down, but i wish I had.

That's why I stick to the roads where you can keep her lit.

Milltown Row2

Did a 12 mile cycle ride on Sunday morning haven't been on a bike in years properly, would take the kids out for a trike the odd time on the tow path below me in Jordanstown. But preparing for a triathlon in September and wanted to see what time I'd get over that distance.

Problem is that I went flat out on a hybrid bike, while my mate was on a proper racing  bike and I struggled to keep up with him, managed to do it in 42 minutes but I'd do it a lot quicker on a racing bike I'd imagine if I had one. How much (on the cheaper scale) would a racing bike be? £400 odds?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bennydorano

You're coming into the period when it's a good time to buy a bike, (online mainly) stockists are already lining up 2013 stock and start to discount heavily in the next couple of months, so you could pick up a .£700 yoke for in around 500.

If I were you  I'd get some freebie advice  at a local bike shop, size etc...and then buy online - take a look at Evanscycles, wiggle,  winstanley bikes & the like.