Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Thinking about LTL myself - the stories from last year sound horrendous, but hopefully they'll learn from it for this year. It actually seems like a fairly handy route for something of that length - very flat.

I like the sound of the Armagh one. Do you know if the route is mapped anywhere that shows the elevation? I can't understand when sportive events are organised and the website doesn't even give you a proper route with the elevations - is that not one of the first things cyclists are interested in?

Maguire01

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: gerry on March 28, 2012, 09:30:10 PM
Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on March 28, 2012, 07:54:38 AM
Has anyone here ever taken part in the "Lap the Lough" event. I'm thinking of signing up to it this year.

How well is it run etc?

i done it last year and  the third year they ran it.  the course itself is flat except for one wee hill but can be windy due to no shelter. 

the first year i done it my mates brakes failed and he went straight at a junction and ended in the hedge with a recked bike.  he finally got back to the start in the back of a van in the dark with other broken bikes and cylist, every time they went round a corner he got hit with a bike. by the way a cylist took a heart attach and died on the course that year.

last year they ran out of food at the feeding stations,which pissed alot of people off.  seeing that i ride alot on my own and bring my own food with me, so thats not an issue.

alot of novice riders seem to do this which i guess accounts for alot of the issues.  hopefully i will do it again this year as i enjoy cycling around new roads.

this looks to be a nice ride Tour of the Orchard County, i hope to do this after we beat armagh on the 10th june

check out the lough forum for issues and details on the lap lap the lough

Cheers for that Gerry. Reading through the comments and then replies from the organisers hopefully they have learnt a few lessons. I signed up for it anyway.

There's one on this Sunday from silverbridge around Carlingford and back. It's about 50 miles so should be somewhere to start. http://sgwheelers.com/

That one around Armagh has a few tasty hills. I've done a few variations of it before

gerry

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 28, 2012, 10:35:41 PM
Thinking about LTL myself - the stories from last year sound horrendous, but hopefully they'll learn from it for this year. It actually seems like a fairly handy route for something of that length - very flat.

I like the sound of the Armagh one. Do you know if the route is mapped anywhere that shows the elevation? I can't understand when sportive events are organised and the website doesn't even give you a proper route with the elevations - is that not one of the first things cyclists are interested in?

i just mapped it, i have seen worst

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/78924722/?new_route=1 (i hope the link works)

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Maguire01

Cheers gerry - doesn't look too bad at all - only one rated 'climb' and the second half is fairly flat. Might give that a go.

gerry

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 28, 2012, 10:39:21 PM
Another one here that I like the look of - https://www.facebook.com/bangorcoastalchallenge

i have signed up for this An Post Tour de Burren the week after so i give that one a miss
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

cavan4sam

Maybe some of you lads might be interested in this.

25K Fun Challenge
Castlerahan GAA will host a 25K Fun Challenge and family fun day on Sunday, 6th May 2012 at Fay Park Ballyjamesduff, Co Cavan.

The race element of the day will begin at 12 p.m. sharp with a 5 kilometre run followed by a 20 kilometre cycle.  The start and finish lines for both elements of the challenge will be at Castlerahan GAA's grounds - Fay Park - in Ballyjamesduff.

Entry is open to individuals who wish to compete in both events or a team of two individuals; one to complete the run, the other the cycle. The emphasis on the day is fun and we anticipate that this will be a successful and well-run event which we would hope to make an annual occurrence.

The entry fees are as follows;

An individual adult competing in both events can do so for €15
    A team of two adults can compete for €20
    An individual juvenile (aged 14 to 18 years) competing in both events can do so for €10
    A team of two juveniles (both aged 14 to 18 years) can compete for €15

There will be prizes for the first finishing male and female adult individuals and adult team. There will also be prizes for the first finishing male and female juvenile individuals and juvenile team.

Showering facilities and refreshments will be provided to all competitors free of charge.

For more info on registration and routes visit: http://www.castlerahan.gaa.ie and follow the links.

Hope to see some of you there on the day.

Maguire01

bennydorano

www.etapemourne.com  an interesting one on the 27th May (£30 entry), 45m & 70m routes, couple of serious climbs.  I'm doing it in preparation for Wicklow.

bennydorano

Giro D'Italia started today (in Denmark), Taylor Phinney taking a short TT.  Cavendish and even money favourite to win tomorrow's flat stage (2 more in Denmark), Cav hasn't dont a big pile lately so prob not much value in that price,  JJ Haedo @28/1 & Demare @ 20/1 good EW bets.

Apparently overall it's no were near as savage as last year's route.  From what I've been watching lately I would back Tiralongo, Pozzivivo, Rodriguez and john Gadret for mountain stage wins, unfortunately it's knowing what day they are really up for it. Pozzivivo is bound to be a good outside bet for the GC at 14/1, he really pissed the Giro Del Trentino recently.

AQMP

Lads, looking for a half decent wireless bike computer...any ideas??

bennydorano

Quote from: bennydorano on May 05, 2012, 09:58:19 PM
From what I've been watching lately I would back Tiralongo, Pozzivivo, Rodriguez and john Gadret for mountain stage wins, unfortunately it's knowing what day they are really up for it.
Tiralongo takes todays 1st real mountainy stage, didnt see prices as i was out cycling myself, probably 40/50 to 1 i'd imagine, not a shilling on him :'(

bennydorano

Quote from: gerry on March 28, 2012, 11:35:12 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on March 28, 2012, 10:39:21 PM
Another one here that I like the look of - https://www.facebook.com/bangorcoastalchallenge

i have signed up for this An Post Tour de Burren the week after so i give that one a miss
Are you for the Fr Ted one Gerry?  that looks nasty

bennydorano

Pozzivivo wins today

qwerty123

I need ideas for a moderately priced bike, just looking to cycle the roads.  I don't need an all-singing all-dancing bike, just one that is reliable and hopefully comfortable.