Hare Coursing

Started by IolarCoisCuain, February 08, 2019, 09:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

easytiger95

Wouldn't really have a problem with it. I think if it is done in as humane a way as possible, and if there is conservation function, then let them at it. But I'm not a hare with two effin big greyhounds chasing me  ;D

I think there is a link to a much bigger argument about conservation and natural ecosystems. Hare coursers and hunters would have always argued that such practices husbanded resources rather than depleted them. I read a really depressing piece in the Guardian this morning about the collapse of insect numbers

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/feb/10/plummeting-insect-numbers-threaten-collapse-of-nature

and one of the main culprits seems to be modern day, intensive farming, which combines pesticide use with the destruction of habitats such as hedgerows. It seems that an occupation such as farming, which is always thought of as in harmony with nature, is now directly contributing to Nature's demise.

In 50 years time, hare coursing may be extinct, because hares will be extinct, and it won't be from coursing.

Puckoon

Quote from: oakleafgael on February 10, 2019, 07:32:45 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/can-coursing-be-good-for-hares-the-strange-answer-is-yes-1.3738552?mode=amp

Link to an independent study carried out contained within the article. I appreciate that coursing isn't to everyone's taste but without it the Irish Hare would have a bleak future.

We've actually had this conversation before

I appreciate you providing the article and the link to the biodiversity website. I'm not certain this substantiates the claim that the hare would be wiped out were it not for coursing. Id expect significantly larger populations in areas where shooting was prohibited and the area was kept free of foxes (at what expense to that animal, I wonder?).

If the coursing clubs are taking muzzling measures and the slow animals are only dying from shock as opposed to being caught by the dogs, it's at least a move in the right direction. Comparisons to the food industry or actual pest control blind eye don't fly in my opinion. 

Itchy

Quote from: Maiden1 on February 10, 2019, 09:39:17 PM
Quote from: Itchy on February 10, 2019, 08:41:26 PM
I understand the winning of it is the dog that gets the hare to turn. Its very rare a dog will catch a hare, they are too fast and nimble. That said I am sure the hare doesn't enjoy the event!

Anyway, I always find the animal rights crowd a curious bunch. Its only small furry animals they are interested in. What about the pain a mouse feels eating poison, or the thoughts of a fly smashed by the swatter? The Pig and the Cow in the slaughter house? There are surely bigger fish to fry (dont mention the fish) than the hare being chased in coursing.
What about the plague? what about slavery? what about the nazis? what about the person who got meningitis and his arms and legs had to be amputated?

It's not really an argument for the rights and wrongs of something that you can think of something worse.

What a load old bollix. I'm drawing attention to the absolute hypocrisy of animal rights activists, save the cuddly animals and f**k the ugly ones. You are mentioning a pile of unrelated things and msking no sense when doing it.

Maiden1

Quote from: Itchy on February 21, 2019, 06:18:50 PM
I understand the winning of it is the dog that gets the hare to turn. Its very rare a dog will catch a hare, they are too fast and nimble. That said I am sure the hare doesn't enjoy the event!

Anyway, I always find the animal rights crowd a curious bunch. Its only small furry animals they are interested in. What about the pain a mouse feels eating poison, or the thoughts of a fly smashed by the swatter? The Pig and the Cow in the slaughter house? There are surely bigger fish to fry (dont mention the fish) than the hare being chased in coursing.
What about the plague? what about slavery? what about the nazis? what about the person who got meningitis and his arms and legs had to be amputated?

It's not really an argument for the rights and wrongs of something that you can think of something worse.

What a load old bollix. I'm drawing attention to the absolute hypocrisy of animal rights activists, save the cuddly animals and f**k the ugly ones. You are mentioning a pile of unrelated things and msking no sense when doing it.
Who says that they are saying f**k the ugly ones.  I doubt any of them are saying that. I'd imagine if they are protesting about hare coursing they also would like other animals to be treated well.

Rabbits have feelings too you know  ;)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bFYRd9ydZFo
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Itchy

Quote from: Maiden1 on February 22, 2019, 11:32:10 PM

Who says that they are saying f**k the ugly ones.  I doubt any of them are saying that. I'd imagine if they are protesting about hare coursing they also would like other animals to be treated well.

When's the last time you saw an animal rights campaign to stop the cruel poisoning of mice and rats?

Maiden1

Quote from: Itchy on February 23, 2019, 06:34:22 PM

When's the last time you saw an animal rights campaign to stop the cruel poisoning of mice and rats?
It's a different thing. Mice in the house are a pests and can ruin your electrics etc. Hare coursing is a choice. Something people choose to do for fun.

LCohen

Is there anyone you know who seeks out mice and rats to kill recreationally?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: LCohen on February 23, 2019, 11:02:41 PM

Is there anyone you know who seeks out mice and rats to kill recreationally?

Cats
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Itchy

Quote from: Maiden1 on February 23, 2019, 06:40:46 PM

It's a different thing. Mice in the house are a pests and can ruin your electrics etc. Hare coursing is a choice. Something people choose to do for fun.

There are non lethal ways to trap pests and surely it's about the pain the animal feels??

Hardy

Indeed. But I'm sure the mice and rats in their death throes appreciate the fact that we're not taking pleasure from it.

Maiden1

Quote from: Itchy on February 24, 2019, 12:41:51 AM
Quote from: Maiden1 on February 23, 2019, 06:40:46 PM

There are non lethal ways to trap pests and surely it's about the pain the animal feels??
That's true and if your argument is that they should expand their protest then fair enough. If your argument is that because there are other animals that suffer they should do nothing then that is a different story.  I could try the what about the dripping tap and grass that needs cut argument  the next time my wife asks me why i haven't cleared up the breakfast dishes when she comes back from somewhere and I'm sitting watching tv in my boxers. 

I would say there are people who object to all types of animal suffering

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/03/parisians-protest-genocide-rats-city-battles-rodent-infestation/amp/