Ulster Semifinal- Derry v Tyrone 21/6/09 Casement Park

Started by Oakleafer93, May 31, 2009, 03:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrone Dreamer

Massive game for Derry next week. They've put their poor championship performances in recent years down to poor management. They have now got the manager in they wanted and must deliver. An ulster title minimum will be expected and dont think they'll want to go down the qualifer route.

Tyrone will be motivated by the 2006 disaster. Should be good next week and will much more physical than Armagh game. Justy was excellent the last day and think he would make a great partner for McGinley in midfield. However not sure if this stage that we can afford to take him out of defence. You could play obviously bring in Sean O'Neill at centre half but he is inexperienced at this level. Will say Tyrone will start like this:
Devine
PJ
Gormley
Ricey
Harte
Justy
Jordan
McGinley
Hub
Mellon
T or B McGuigan
Joe McMahon
O'Neill
Cavanagh
Mulligan

screenexile

Tyrone have definitely a better panel of players than we have no question but our best 15 against theirs would be very very close and I would be fairly confident we would win! Given the fact that both teams seem to have an injury crisis all the time this will not happen anytime soon I imagine.

Not that I would use our injuries as an excuse it's plain to see that Tyrone's backup players are far better than ours and that's just the way it is.

For me our strongest team with everyone on form and not injured would be...

Gillis
McGuckin
McCusker
Lockhart
O'Kane
B McG
SL McG
Doc
Muldoon
Lynn
Lynch
McGuigan
Bradley
Bradley
Kielt

That would be with Kielt dropping to HF and the 2 Bradleys staying up. That team would take some stopping imo but in truth McCusker, Lockhart, Muldoon, Lynch and Doc are either going to be missing or going into the game injured (as well as Murphy, Patsy Bradley, Mullan and Carton being decent backups also being injured/suspended) and I am just not as confident that the players that will come in for them will be good enough to do the business against a Tyrone team clearly hungry to win back to back All Irelands.

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: screenexile on June 11, 2009, 07:36:01 PM
Tyrone have definitely a better panel of players than we have no question but our best 15 against theirs would be very very close and I would be fairly confident we would win! Given the fact that both teams seem to have an injury crisis all the time this will not happen anytime soon I imagine.

Not that I would use our injuries as an excuse it's plain to see that Tyrone's backup players are far better than ours and that's just the way it is.

Gillis
McGuckin
McCusker
Lockhart
O'Kane
B McG
SL McG
Doc
Muldoon
Lynn
Lynch
McGuigan
Bradley
Bradley
Kielt

That would be with Kielt dropping to HF and the 2 Bradleys staying up. That team would take some stopping imo but in truth McCusker, Lockhart, Muldoon, Lynch and Doc are either going to be missing or going into the game injured (as well as Murphy, Patsy Bradley, Mullan and Carton being decent backups also being injured/suspended) and I am just not as confident that the players that will come in for them will be good enough to do the business against a Tyrone team clearly hungry to win back to back All Irelands.

Not saying Derry cant beat Tyrone in a one off game but dont think their best 15 are close to as good as Tyrone's. The records this decade prove this and Derry's poor results werent all about poor management. The players havent been good enough. There's a lack of pace in that full back line, half back line is good but not great, Muldoon hasnt the legs for midfield and the half forward line is no better than average.

omagh_gael

Heard Jason mc Annulla broke his leg playing 4 omagh u21s, quoted from a Tyrone referee

ExiledGael

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on June 11, 2009, 07:41:21 PM

Gillis
McGuckin
McCusker
Lockhart
O'Kane
B McG
SL McG
Doc
Muldoon
Lynn
Lynch
McGuigan
Bradley
Bradley
Kielt

Not saying Derry cant beat Tyrone in a one off game but dont think their best 15 are close to as good as Tyrone's. The records this decade prove this and Derry's poor results werent all about poor management. The players havent been good enough. There's a lack of pace in that full back line, half back line is good but not great, Muldoon hasnt the legs for midfield and the half forward line is no better than average.

Have to agree. As a neutral Derry are a seriously strong side but you're deluding yourselves if you think you're as talented as Tyrone. There are a few exceptions but if you were to make a XV from the two squads it would be dominated by Tyrone players. Rough stab at it (when all fully fit).
John Devine

Gerard O'Kane
Conor Gormley
Ryan McMenamin

Davy Harte
Justin McMahon
Philip Jordan

Enda McGinley
Fergal Doherty

Enda Muldoon
Brian McGuigan
Eoin Bradley

Stevie O'Neill
Sean Cavanagh
Paddy Bradley

ONeill

I think that head to head Derry could take Tyrone if both were at full strength. That's the nature of the rivalry. However, if you're talking about putting in a succession of titanic performances in late Summer, Derry would lack that quality. This Tyrone core have been winning All-Ireland titles on a regular basis since 1998.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: ExiledGael on June 11, 2009, 08:00:18 PM
Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on June 11, 2009, 07:41:21 PM

Gillis
McGuckin
McCusker
Lockhart
O'Kane
B McG
SL McG
Doc
Muldoon
Lynn
Lynch
McGuigan
Bradley
Bradley
Kielt

Have to agree. As a neutral Derry are a seriously strong side but you're deluding yourselves if you think you're as talented as Tyrone. There are a few exceptions but if you were to make a XV from the two squads it would be dominated by Tyrone players. Rough stab at it (when all fully fit).
John Devine

Gerard O'Kane
Conor Gormley
Ryan McMenamin

Davy Harte
Justin McMahon
Philip Jordan

Enda McGinley
Fergal Doherty

Enda Muldoon
Brian McGuigan
Eoin Bradley

Stevie O'Neill
Sean Cavanagh
Paddy Bradley

If fully fit Dooher would have to be in there some were.

ExiledGael

screenexile

Quote from: ONeill on June 11, 2009, 08:05:29 PM
I think that head to head Derry could take Tyrone if both were at full strength. That's the nature of the rivalry. However, if you're talking about putting in a succession of titanic performances in late Summer, Derry would lack that quality. This Tyrone core have been winning All-Ireland titles on a regular basis since 1998.

Can't argue with that!

Tyrone Dreamer

Who's going to partner Diver next week in midfield? There doesnt seem to be too many options. Is Lynch a possibility? Are Patsy bradley and Muldoon definately out?

Oakleafer93

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on June 11, 2009, 10:00:46 PM
Who's going to partner Diver next week in midfield? There doesnt seem to be too many options. Is Lynch a possibility? Are Patsy bradley and Muldoon definately out?

Now that would be telling.

jodyb

I just cant see us getting a result with this one. Aside from the injuries that have been well documented here, with Doc, its not just a matter of missing our best midfielder. He's more than that. The ground he covers and the fight and grit and leadership that he brings will be sorely missed. God knows there are enough examples over the past 3 or 4 years where Derry just haven't showed the fight and the composure when he's been absent.

Zapatista

Quote from: omagh_gael on June 11, 2009, 07:47:35 PM
Heard Jason mc Annulla broke his leg playing 4 omagh u21s, quoted from a Tyrone referee

Can this be confirmed? I hope he is OK.

bellaghy_lad

fair chance it could be paul murphy

rrhf

Can we bring in the new rules just for  this game.  ;)  Seriously think this will come down to a shootout between O Neill, Cavanagh  and the two bradleys.  This game will defy all the punditry and badmouthery towards Ulster football.