Dublin v Kerry All Ireland Final 2019

Started by Hereiam, August 12, 2019, 01:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crete Boom

Quote from: twohands!!! on August 29, 2019, 03:56:37 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on August 29, 2019, 01:02:13 PM
Kerry need to dominate midfield especially on their own kick outs. I have a feeling they will do okay on Dublin's restarts. If they can dominate mid field then they can either run at the Dubs with O'Brien or get quick direct ball into Clifford. On the face of it you would predict that with enough ball the Kerry forwards will hit say the 2-20 that Michael Murphy put forward as the target to beat the Dubs but the more I think about it I am not so sure.
I think the Dub full back line will hold up okay against Clifford and Geaney and I think the Dublin half back line could dominate the Kerry half forwards which will put more pressure on the Kerry midfield. While Tom O' Sullivan will give Kilkenny his fill I just don't see(outside of mid field domination) how Kerry will handle O' Callaghan, Mannion and Rock or the running of Scully and Howard. Then you have Costello and Connolly to bolster the troops if needed!!!
Hopefully it will be a tight game and Kerry certainly don't lack confidence to go toe to toe with the Dubs but I just think the Dubs find their rhythm early and win by 7 or 8!!

Dublin are going to put serious pressure on Ryan in goals and I think he's going to crack.
If you look at the periods where Dublin go to town and get a string of scores against teams, what's noticeable is the pressure they put on the opposition's kickouts.

What really surprised me in the Tyrone game was how little pressure Tyrone seemed to mange to put on Ryan's kickouts - I was expecting them to give him a far harder time. Based on the games I saw in the Super 8, it looked like a blatant weakness.

After goalkeeper I think this Kerry's teams biggest weakness is midfield as opposed to in the backs.
You take Moran out of midfield and the rest of the Kerry midfielders look more like Division 3/Division 4 quality.

Unfortunately for those of us who want to see a close game I think you are right and Kerry will struggle big time in midfield. Great forwards won't do much against the Dublin backs if they can't get the ball!!

Zulu

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 29, 2019, 03:52:48 PM
I don't know if I can agree about defenders. As someone said in another thread Tyrone ended up kicking the ball up into the air for the FF line to win and they won more or less every one that was put into them. They didn't even need to resort to quality ball. Their FB line is really weak for this level.

That said their forwards are impressive. I am not convinced their HF line will count so much against Dublin but would still expect Geaney and Clifford to make a decent impact.

I'm not sure that's true, I thought some of the ball in was very good. On top of that I think McShane and Donnelly are a pretty potent twosome themselves so struggling against them isn't evidence the defenders are that bad. I think it was Off the Ball where it was suggested that Kerry were standing off a bit in the full back line to avoid goals. I actually said they might do that against Dublin but I didn't notice they were doing it against Tyrone.

I don't think their full back line id brilliant but I think teams are so well coached now and you rarely have 3 forwards in there that the very best full backs will struggle against good forwards if isolated. People are also saying Kerry can't play a sweeper and I can't see how Kerry haven't coaches who couldn't coach that.

Dublin, I think, are the team we know more about and Kerry will have more scope to plan for them and bring something different. Maybe I'm making an argument to suit what I think but I've a feeling Kerry can give this one a good rattle.

imtommygunn

To be fair you are right about McShane and Donnelly but O"Callaghan and Mannion probably more potent presently too. Genuinely watch it back though - some of the ball was just lumped into the air. Yes there were some good balls too but someone else said it here and I thought it too - Tyrone began to realise they could win the ball in there no matter what way they kicked it in.

Yeah I think you are right that we know about Dublin but not about Kerry. To me this is the game where we see how good Kerry are or aren't. We know how good Dublin are. If Dublin blitz Kerry then we knew they were great anyway and it just means Kerry are nowhere near as good as we thought they were. If they don't Kerry are better than we thought they were. I would say they have nothing to lose however apparently their supporters are "animals" so they wouldn't be happy with a tanking lol.

omagh_gael

One thing I noticed at the Tyr v Kerry semi final was that Kerry were hopeless at playing the sweeper. Murphy (I think) was too far away from his full backs to sweep in front of McShane and Donnelly. He left an ocean of room for the long ball to land in. I think Dublin will attack their full back line for goals really early on and will look to have it wrapped up by half time.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 29, 2019, 10:16:11 PM
One thing I noticed at the Tyr v Kerry semi final was that Kerry were hopeless at playing the sweeper. Murphy (I think) was too far away from his full backs to sweep in front of McShane and Donnelly. He left an ocean of room for the long ball to land in. I think Dublin will attack their full back line for goals really early on and will look to have it wrapped up by half time.

Murphy was in the traditional centre half back position rather than playing as a proper sweeper.  Was this an error or deliberate?  Maybe he was positioned to prevent any big run up the middle from the likes of Peter Harte?  Tyrone obviously saw this and preferred to let it in high to the full forward line, more or less 50/50 balls.  Kerry were probably happy enough with that, especially when no goals resulted.  Kerry concede goals when somebody drives down the middle against them.

If Dublin can drive down the middle with their midfielders leaving the Kerry markers in their wake, it will take more than Paul Murphy to stop them and it could be a cricket score. 

Taylor

Quote from: Zulu on August 29, 2019, 03:03:57 PM
Well I'm not a Dub so you doubt wrong I'm afraid. You're entitled to your opinion and you may be right but I don't think the Dublin defenders are much better than Kerry. They are good footballers but I think in one v one situations they struggle as much as anyone and if Kerry go man to man they'll get joy.

Their bench has some big names but Connolly has played hardly any football and others like O'Sullivan and Andrews are not playing to the same level as in previous years. I wouldn't argue Kerry have the better bench but they've plenty of good footballers to come in too - Tommy Walsh, Jack Sherwood, Jack Barry, James O'Donoghue to name a few.

Dublin do have a better bench and probably a better defence but I wouldn't agree it's as clear cut as you're making out.

Apologies for assuming you were a Dub  ;D

Dublin rarely get caught at the back and usually when you beat one man there is another waiting.

I cant see how it will be anything other than a long slog for the kingdom on Sunday

TheGreatest

Going to sign off for the weekend. Win Lose or draw for the Dubs, they will always be the greatest of them all. Only begrudgers would say different.

Safe travel to the Kerry fans.

From the Bunker

Quote from: TheGreatest on August 30, 2019, 01:28:29 PM
Going to sign off for the weekend. Win Lose or draw for the Dubs, they will always be the greatest of them all. Only begrudgers would say different.

The Kerry team 75-86 are the best with 8 titles including a 3 in a row and a 4 in a row! Just! But this will be surpassed by this team.

Really hoping Dublin do it. The future of the Game depends on it!

omaghjoe

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 30, 2019, 02:03:45 PM

The Kerry team 75-86 are the best with 8 titles including a 3 in a row and a 4 in a row! Just! But this will be surpassed by this team.

True... they really need this AI

dublin7

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 30, 2019, 03:35:31 PM

Don't get him started on one of his dublin rants again.... Thankfully the game is only a few days away.

Sportsjoe did their live preview last night and listening to the lads from 70s was gas.

Jack O'Shea on the sunday morning before every All Ireland used to bring a few a subs up the road to play a full round of pitch & putt before coming back to the hotel, getting into his own car and driving down to croke park. He would watch the 1st half of the minor game in the stand and then go into the dressing room for the game

Cunny Funt

Lets not forget Kerry especially the team that was inches away from winning 5 in a row was one team and a few subs. Dublin meanwhile can claim the best squad title as in the last 5 years alone i'd say over 30 players has played in All Ireland finals.

Sportacus

Tommy Walsh named in the subs.  Kerry could fairly have done with James O'Donoghue hitting form and fitness but it seems another season has passed him by.  Have they a dark horse who could have a big game - Spillane?

From the Bunker

The long term future of the game depends on it - Seriously!

Armagh18

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 30, 2019, 08:29:23 PM

The long term future of the game depends on it - Seriously!
You what?😂😂😂

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose