Would you be in favour of a second tier?

Started by sligoman2, June 26, 2017, 12:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be in favour of an alternative championship for Div 3 and 4 with winners and runners up rejoining the other championship.

Yes
136 (52.7%)
No
104 (40.3%)
Undecided
18 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 258

Cunny Funt

Quote from: stevecw on July 14, 2017, 01:49:47 AM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 13, 2017, 04:35:16 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on July 13, 2017, 02:37:41 PM
Carlow captain Darragh Foley says a second tier championship does not appeal to him.

A championship for lower-ranked counties has been mooted again this year but Foley feels it would be of no benefit to the Barrowsiders, whom face Monaghan at home this weekend in round three of the All-Ireland SFC qualifiers.

"It wouldn't appeal to me. If you're playing in a 'B' championship you're seen as a lesser player,” Foley told the Irish Independent.

"We'd never get a chance in a 'B' championship like we're getting on Saturday - playing a Division 1 team in a Round 3 qualifier at home before Sky TV cameras. That's where you want to be."

Fair play to him talking sense there.

I'd say he speaks for most players from so called weaker counties there. A b championship will never work in football. It was tried a few years ago and failed miserably. A couple of wins and a decent draw can lead any well trained team to still be playing championship football in mid July. To see Carlow as one of the last 14 teams left is amazing for me. A home game v Monaghan live on tv, in front of a massive Carlow crowd on Saturday evening. This beats any stupid B championship competition, where the final is played before 50 uninterested people.

Great post and the sooner some realize that there is more to All Ireland championship than just winning the All Ireland as you have highlighted here the better but unfortunately i feel some stupid B championship will be brought in by the men in suits at congress whom won't listen to what the majority of players and supporters want. 

Esmarelda

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 14, 2017, 03:24:50 PM
Carlow captain Darragh Foley says a second tier championship does not appeal to him.

A championship for lower-ranked counties has been mooted again this year but Foley feels it would be of no benefit to the Barrowsiders, whom face Monaghan at home this weekend in round three of the All-Ireland SFC qualifiers.

"It wouldn't appeal to me. If you're playing in a 'B' championship you're seen as a lesser player," Foley told the Irish Independent.

"We'd never get a chance in a 'B' championship like we're getting on Saturday - playing a Division 1 team in a Round 3 qualifier at home before Sky TV cameras. That's where you want to be."

I'd say he speaks for most players from so called weaker counties there. A b championship will never work in football. It was tried a few years ago and failed miserably. A couple of wins and a decent draw can lead any well trained team to still be playing championship football in mid July. To see Carlow as one of the last 14 teams left is amazing for me. A home game v Monaghan live on tv, in front of a massive Carlow crowd on Saturday evening. This beats any stupid B championship competition, where the final is played before 50 uninterested people.

Great post and the sooner some realize that there is more to All Ireland championship than just winning the All Ireland as you have highlighted here the better but unfortunately i feel some stupid B championship will be brought in by the men in suits at congress whom won't listen to what the majority of players and supporters want.
To date, I think they have listened. They've acknowledge that there is an appetite to retain the provincials and that there's not an appetite to bring in a tiered-championship among inter-county players.

Supporters may be split on this but the campaign is mostly coming from elements of the media. The GAA get a lost of abuse for the decisions they make but we can only hope that they don't let such campaigns guide them.

Rossfan

"It wouldn't appeal to me. If you're playing in a 'B' championship you're seen as a lesser player," Foley told the Irish Independent.

sooner some realize that there is more to All Ireland championship than just winning the All Ireland .....the better
Moysider Farrandeelin Creteen Lar etc please note!!!

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Rossfan on July 14, 2017, 04:18:45 PM

sooner some realize that there is more to All Ireland championship than just winning the All Ireland .....the better
Moysider Farrandeelin Creteen Lar etc please note!!!

And you who won't be that bothered if Roscommon are placed into Intermediate/B section competition!!

Rossfan

If we're not good enough for Senior.......
We are this year though 8)
So "just winning the AI" is just a nuisance thing?
Sure why have competition at all? Why keep scores? Why does the team who scores most go on to another round? Why have cups and medals?

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on July 14, 2017, 04:44:56 PM
Sure why have competition at all? Why keep scores? Why does the team who scores most go on to another round? Why have cups and medals?

I'm still laughing at the idea best Connacht final victory in at least 37 years makes the year a 5/10. I'll get back to you when I stop.

Blowitupref

The underdog stories like Down,Roscommon winning against the odds v Monaghan,Galway this summer or Tipp reaching AI semi final last year is what is makes this competition a bit special. Look at any cup competitions across the world, the top teams more often or not will win them but its the underdog stories that will last a lifetime e.g non or lower league team in England causing a few upsets in the FA Cup.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

sligoman2

i feel some stupid B championship will be brought in by the men in suits at congress whom won't listen to what the majority of players and supporters want. 

With all the negativity, more people have voted for a two tier competition than have voted against it.  Granted a small sample but the suggestion is obviously favored by quite a few followers on this board.  I would only be in favor if the prize was re-entry to the championship at the latter stages
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 14, 2017, 05:04:38 PM

The underdog stories like Down,Roscommon winning against the odds v Monaghan,Galway this summer or Tipp reaching AI semi final last year is what is makes this competition a bit special. Look at any cup competitions across the world, the top teams more often or not will win them but its the underdog stories that will last a lifetime e.g non or lower league team in England causing a few upsets in the FA Cup.

Exactly and the memories Tipp players and supporters got from winning last years All Ireland quarter final is something they will never forget while in comparison winning a B competition will be quickly forgotten.

seafoid

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 14, 2017, 05:46:41 PM

Exactly and the memories Tipp players and supporters got from winning last years All Ireland quarter final is something they will never forget while in comparison winning a B competition will be quickly forgotten.
That is a value judgement.
Is winning the Pro 12 a joke ?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBALg4xBWXQ
Or would it be better to lose valiantly in the pool group of TAFKA Heineken cup?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Esmarelda

Quote from: seafoid on July 14, 2017, 06:05:55 PM

Or would it be better to lose valiantly in the pool group of TAFKA Heineken cup?
Absolutely. But as it stands, it seems that the players agree.

criostlinn

I don't know what your point is. The pro 12 is not a B competition.

criostlinn

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 13, 2017, 03:05:50 PM

You see that's where he is wrong! If there was a last 12 or quarter final place for the second tier winners there would be a chance of playing a Division 1 team before Sky cameras. And they would have had a couple of games in the Championship and Silverware!

Sure what would he know about it.

So he goes into a last 12 or last 8. So lets say 16 in top tier, 16 in bottom. How do we go about this craic where the winner of bottom tier all of a sudden landing into the last 12 of the top tier. This means the bottom tier will have to be wrapped up before the top tier even attempts to take of properly.

seafoid

Quote from: criostlinn on July 14, 2017, 11:57:42 PM

It effectively is. How many English and French clubs does it have ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on July 15, 2017, 01:11:07 AM
Quote from: criostlinn on July 14, 2017, 11:57:42 PM

It effectively is. How many English and French clubs does it have ?

I don't think you understand how rugby is structured very well.