China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: Smurfy123 on July 15, 2020, 09:50:45 PM
Well they done 125000 tests on May the 1st and 255000 on May 31st
So they had it ramped up
Blaming the pubs for a few extra cases is crazy. Pubs get the blame and them not even open

They are open, some that are allowed to be and some that are not.

Rossfan

Seems our R rate in the 26 has gone up to between 1.2 and 1.8.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Smurfy123

The magic R Rate.
Low and behold no hospital admissions in a week
No ICU admissions in a week

Cunny Funt

A combination of a knee jerk reaction and Micheál Martin new in the hotseat wanting to show some leadership.

IMO phase 4 should have gone ahead as planned. Any problems then go back to phase 3 if required.

armaghniac

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 16, 2020, 12:43:07 AM
A combination of a knee jerk reaction and Micheál Martin new in the hotseat wanting to show some leadership.

IMO phase 4 should have gone ahead as planned. Any problems then go back to phase 3 if required.

You cannot rationally reduce restrictions when cases are increasing, unless you are an American.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Cunny Funt

Quote from: armaghniac on July 16, 2020, 01:26:56 AM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 16, 2020, 12:43:07 AM

You cannot rationally reduce restrictions when cases are increasing, unless you are an American.
Unlike America we haven't seen any significant rise in cases.

Clusters like the one in Kerry recently can cause somewhat of artificial increase in the R rate,  In Germany the meat plant outbreak caused their R value to shoot up above 2, but its way down again since getting  that outbreak under control.

imtommygunn

I would agree with this.

I would like to see more fact based news on the whole thing. There were x cases - this is where they were and this was the origin of them. I think that would keep everyone considerably more informed to make their own decisions.

If only for example someone like a health minister would stand up and tell the truth >:(

armaghniac

The Kerry cluster was people having a party, there are still people doing this. It us not obviously as isolated a case as a meat plant under the control of an employer.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 16, 2020, 08:10:11 AM
I would agree with this.

I would like to see more fact based news on the whole thing. There were x cases - this is where they were and this was the origin of them. I think that would keep everyone considerably more informed to make their own decisions.

If only for example someone like a health minister would stand up and tell the truth >:(

Telling the truth, unfortunately, is political suicide these days. Strange times..better to say 10 lines of waffle than 10 words of truth.

Covid has come with a lot of sensationalism, too many people are repeating numbers or things read somewhere with no evidence to really back it up and taking it as gospel despite not knowing the true reason why it's being put out there.

Things like R rate and the likes, when someone quotes an R rate they are really saying - "I'm taking a bit of a guess here".

imtommygunn

You are 75% more likely to die of Covid if you are a male retail worker or 60% more likely if you are a female according to Hancock. Source the national institute of statistics. The source has no specifics on any such thing.

If only it was just waffle and not lies.

Yeah agreed on all the guess stuff and sensationalism.

ONeill

Having a party in a meat plant would be some clusterfcuk.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

armaghniac

Quote from: ONeill on July 16, 2020, 10:51:10 AM
Having a party in a meat plant would be some clusterfcuk.

You'd have lovely burgers though.

GetOverTheBar

Meanwhile the heroes in Stormont have decided to do this mid Pandemic.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-53429661

I dunno lads. I just don't know. This thing is either serious or it's not.

thewobbler

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 16, 2020, 11:31:38 AM
Meanwhile the heroes in Stormont have decided to do this mid Pandemic.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-53429661

I dunno lads. I just don't know. This thing is either serious or it's not.

It won't be implemented til next year.

Personally I'm no fan of extended licensing hours. If pubs close at 11, they get busy at 7. If pubs close at 2, they get busy at 11. The only difference is that the pubs pay more out in wages, and patrons can't get out of bed the next morning.

But that said, this has been a decade in the making and it's better to know that Stormont is still sort-of-functioning.