Official Irish Football Association Thread (Northern Ireland)

Started by Mentalman, September 04, 2007, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: BennyCake on November 15, 2017, 11:40:31 AM
Quote from: screenexile on November 15, 2017, 09:49:21 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 14, 2017, 07:40:45 PM
Quote from: screenexile on November 14, 2017, 11:09:09 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 14, 2017, 10:43:13 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on November 14, 2017, 10:38:21 AM
The North getting put out due to a mistake by the referee is a sickener to be honest.  Switzerland didn't beat NI, the ref did.

I don't recall the ref scoring the penalty.

Seriously, NI didn't make it. Boo hoo, I won't be losing any sleep over it. Can't believe the sob stories over this.

Do you remember Henry's handball??!!

Yes I do. And I got over it 10 minutes later.

Anyway, there's reason to get annoyed at something when your own team is involved. Very few have any affiliation to Norn Iron on here, so why would you care?

I'm not talking about you in particular but the whole country/media lost its marbles at the time. Much worse than the North complained about the non handball!

Yes I remember. What people forget is that at 1-1, Ireland still needed to score again to qualify. The Henry incident changed very little. Had Ireland scored again, they'd have qualified anyway, on away goals. They couldn't get another, so they didn't qualify. Move on.

Norn Iron couldn't score in 2 games. Even if the ref hadn't awarded that penalty, they would've needed to score to qualify. They didn't, so didn't qualify. Again, move on.

They didn't need to score, a draw would have led to penalties and they could have gone through without scoring. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

NetNitrate

The North getting put out due to a mistake by the referee is a sickener to be honest.  Switzerland didn't beat NI, the ref did.

Seriously, NI didn't make it. Boo hoo, I won't be losing any sleep over it. Can't believe the sob stories over this.

Anyway, there's reason to get annoyed at something when your own team is involved. Very few have any affiliation to Norn Iron on here, so why would you care?

I'm not talking about you in particular but the whole country/media lost its marbles at the time. Much worse than the North complained about the non handball!

Yes I remember. What people forget is that at 1-1, Ireland still needed to score again to qualify. The Henry incident changed very little. Had Ireland scored again, they'd have qualified anyway, on away goals. They couldn't get another, so they didn't qualify. Move on.

The Henry goal changed everything. It was scored in 104th minute of extra time and left Ireland with little time to score. Had the goal been correctly disallowed, the game would have went to penalties.

It differed from the NI penalty, in that Henry cheated. The NI penalty was a bad ref call - every team suffers bad calls. We lost out on qualification for WCs because of bad calls - the Frank Stapleton goal against Belgium for 1982, etc.

longballin

I'd rather get thumped like last nite than robbed... the Tierry Henry incident hurt for ages. Last nite like water off a duck's back. Northern Ireland boys pining which is great consolation  8)

BennyCake

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 15, 2017, 01:09:50 PM

Norn Iron couldn't score in 2 games. Even if the ref hadn't awarded that penalty, they would've needed to score to qualify. They didn't, so didn't qualify. Again, move on.

They didn't need to score, a draw would have led to penalties and they could have gone through without scoring.

Yes, but there was no guarantee they'd win the shoot out.

BennyCake

Quote from: NetNitrate on November 15, 2017, 02:34:09 PM

The Henry goal changed everything. It was scored in 104th minute of extra time and left Ireland with little time to score. Had the goal been correctly disallowed, the game would have went to penalties.

It differed from the NI penalty, in that Henry cheated. The NI penalty was a bad ref call - every team suffers bad calls. We lost out on qualification for WCs because of bad calls - the Frank Stapleton goal against Belgium for 1982, etc.

Ireland went 1-0 up after 33 minutes, so thats nearly 90 more minutes to get another, not 16 minutes.

nrico2006

Quote from: BennyCake on November 15, 2017, 05:50:16 PM

No guarantee they'd lose it either.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

tiempo

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 16, 2017, 08:52:07 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 15, 2017, 05:50:16 PM

No guarantee they'd lose it either.

No guarantee they'd score in the shootout.

gallsman

How is this still going. At first it was a joke but now there's actual genuine moaning about it.

I always chose to blame Paul McShane over Henry.

AQMP

Michael O'Neill to Scotland?  On the face if it, it makes sense.  More money, he lives in Scotland and maybe has taken NI as far as he can?

supersub

Ireland and Northern Ireland both didn't qualify because they are nowhere near good enough. Squads of average and below average lower league players.

michaelg

Quote from: AQMP on November 16, 2017, 12:02:14 PM
Michael O'Neill to Scotland?  On the face if it, it makes sense.  More money, he lives in Scotland and maybe has taken NI as far as he can?
If he  goes, it can only really be for the money.  He will be unlikely to take Scotland any further than last 16 in a Euros or World Cup. Scotland fans also have an over-inflated belief in their team's abilities, so much more pressure too.

stiffler

Quote from: michaelg on November 16, 2017, 05:36:28 PM
If he  goes, it can only really be for the money.  He will be unlikely to take Scotland any further than last 16 in a Euros or World Cup. Scotland fans also have an over-inflated belief in their team's abilities, so much more pressure too.

Scotland Havnt been to a major tournament in 20 years. For o Neill to get them to the euros, this would undoubtedly add to his reputation.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

michaelg

Quote from: stiffler on November 16, 2017, 05:43:32 PM

Scotland Havnt been to a major tournament in 20 years. For o Neill to get them to the euros, this would undoubtedly add to his reputation.
I don't think it would, particularly as it is now much easier to qualify for the Euros.  Having success at a club team would have a much bigger impact on his reputation. Going to Scotland would be a (lucrative) sideways step.

BennyCake

Quote from: michaelg on November 16, 2017, 06:00:33 PM

I don't think it would, particularly as it is now much easier to qualify for the Euros.  Having success at a club team would have a much bigger impact on his reputation. Going to Scotland would be a (lucrative) sideways step.

Is he related to Finn McCool?  :o

michaelg

Quote from: BennyCake on November 16, 2017, 08:42:30 PM
Quote from: michaelg on November 16, 2017, 06:00:33 PM
Didn't mean geographically.

Is he related to Finn McCool?  :o