NFL DIV3

Started by mattockranger, January 27, 2009, 01:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavanmaniac

Cavan are definitely in with a shout, Louth look to be flying (so much for the training ban? ach maybe they did their own programmes, who knows!) and Down are a match and more for either. Two from those three to go up, but I think Cavan need to take a win out of either Drogheda or Newry to have a chance and the fixtures have worked out very imbalanced in this regard in that both these games are away days for Cavan but them's the rubs.

Limerick will be battling too but aren't league men IMO and I think Offaly, Longford have too many problems and Roscommon are the unknown quantity.

mattockranger

Quote from: bridgegael on January 29, 2009, 03:14:27 PM
Quote from: mattockranger on January 29, 2009, 12:32:12 PM
I think Cavan have huge potential!

there forward line could look like

10 martin reilly
11 Michael Lyng/ronan flanagan
12 Cian Mackey
13 Paddy Gummley
14 Seanie Johnston
15 Jason o'Reilly

they boost huge scoring potential

with Gerald pearson mark mckeever, Eddie o'reilly, larry reilly as a sub also and dermot Mccabe still worthy of a place

Along with a strong midfield of lorcan mulvey an improving michael mcdonald and Nicholas Walsh playing good football supplying them ball i can see them doing alot of damage

Down for me have too many question marks surrounding their team, management and style of play mixed with an arrogant attitude that they have a divine right to be in a higher division makes them vulnerable. they have 4 long treks also so they are poor value as favourites for this group.

Roscommon for me show alot of potential also with a youthful enthusiaism under fergal o'donnell they will want to undo their previous seasons woes and make their county respectable again
and they have good players to do it.

With league football a good start is half the battle get the points on the board early relieves the pressure especially in Div3 where relegation pressure is most felt!!

what is this based on??

My opinion

on flanagan i thought that also he is a class act just wasn't his day a future centre half maybe in a couple of seasons when he masters the left-half spot
very composed player on the ball

where does he play football at club level?
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

bridgegael

i'm just curious as to why you feel Down are arrogant and have a divine right to be in a higher div. 
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

mattockranger

Its based on The pressure Ross and DJ are under to succeed when they posses an

Unsettled side
over reliance on Benny
lack of a gameplan
loss of starting midfield
Unwarranted favourites tag

Louth Exile

The natives will give you a lovely welcome to the marshes on valentines night MR  :D :D
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

cavan4sam

Flanagans versatility is a disaster, he plays everywhere and anywhere for us but his best position is CHB, last year in championship he was left half forward, really stupid decision by our management team!

cavanmaniac

I'd just tell young Flanagan to roam between the two forty-fives and get on as much ball as possible. Any time I've seen him, it's his intelligence, ability to spot an opportunity and deliver the ball accurately by foot that marks him out. Cavan should seek to process as much ball through his hands as possible because it's all well and good having Jelly and Pierson inside but damn all use if the ball into them isn't pinpoint, they're not the types to win dirty ball like a Clarke or McDonnell can.

Flanagan and a fit Lyng operating out the field would be very good news for Cavan's forwards IMHO.

mattockranger

Quote from: Louth Exile on January 29, 2009, 05:20:11 PM
The natives will give you a lovely welcome to the marshes on valentines night MR  :D :D

HaHa think i'll definitely be treating the woman that night!!

But i think all my points are justified...??

I thought flanagan was excellent at half forward last season in supplying seanie (jelly) made his life alot easier!

cavan4sam

Thats what I'm saying, its a problem that he can equally as well at number 2 as he could in any position right up to 15 and could probably do a job in goals too. Agree with cavanmaniac, hopefully we get to see that!!

passedit

Quote from: bridgegael on January 29, 2009, 04:55:52 PM
i'm just curious as to why you feel Down are arrogant and have a divine right to be in a higher div. 
Quote from: mattockranger on January 29, 2009, 05:07:28 PM
Its based on The pressure Ross and DJ are under to succeed when they posses an

Unsettled side
over reliance on Benny
lack of a gameplan
loss of starting midfield
Unwarranted favourites tag

You didn't really answer the question MR.

I think you'll find that most Down fans are arrogant and believe we have no business in division 3 however as for the team and management well i'm not so sure. Maybe a bit more arrogance/swagger (delete according to allegiance) is required.

Anyways i'd be very worried if minnows like Louth and Longford, for example, kept the ball kicked out to us.

Don't Panic

mattockranger

I think i did answer the question passedit and you backed it up..... ;)

passedit

Quote from: mattockranger on January 30, 2009, 12:10:26 PM

Last time I looked, I wasn't on the panel nor do I have any input in selection policy. If I did however, i'd recommend that we give our under 21's a run out against the likes of yourselves and Longford.  ;)
Don't Panic

mattockranger

I never said the panel was arrogant.....I referred just to the undeserved pressure the management is under to succeed when i think some of your players lack quality to play at a higher level.

Quote from: passedit on January 30, 2009, 01:36:30 PM
Quote from: mattockranger on January 30, 2009, 12:10:26 PM
Last time I looked, I wasn't on the panel nor do I have any input in selection policy. If I did however, i'd recommend that we give our under 21's a run out against the likes of yourselves and Longford.  ;)

If you knew your county as well as i do.....

You'd know that your county under21's were defeated by ours recently..... ;)

and if you were in drogheda the last two seasons we have met you would not be so ignorant to overlook my counties ability

Shame you give your counties fanbase a bad name... WUM??

Billys Boots

QuoteAnyways i'd be very worried if minnows like Louth and Longford, for example, kept the ball kicked out to us.

Don't be worrying about us P, as if you were.  ::) 

Your mates in Kerry - they're the ones to worry about.  Hopefully Paul Barden will be fit again for your trip to Pearse Park.   :-*
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

corn02

Louth and Down to go up.