Allianz League Division 3 2020

Started by Ambrose, November 26, 2019, 05:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambrose

I'd still expect to beat Tipp and Louth, we owe Louth big time and it's not much of a journey to that awful kip in Drawda.
It would be a huge bonus if we had a few of the Kilcoo lads on board.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

tbrick18

So do I understand correctly, that teams promoted this year from Div 3 are in Tier 1 of the championship this year?

I reckon Cork are favorites to go up, with possibly Derry/Down/Tipp fighting for the other spot.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: tbrick18 on January 21, 2020, 01:57:34 PM
So do I understand correctly, that teams promoted this year from Div 3 are in Tier 1 of the championship this year?

I reckon Cork are favorites to go up, with possibly Derry/Down/Tipp fighting for the other spot.

Yes, Cork with their pulling power influenced the change in congress. Can't see it happening but would be funny if Cork miss out on promotion.

tbrick18

Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 21, 2020, 04:08:36 PM

Yes, Cork with their pulling power influenced the change in congress. Can't see it happening but would be funny if Cork miss out on promotion.

So does that mean teams relegated from Div 2 this year will play in Tier 2 this year? Seems unfair if that's the case.

Rossfan

Teams relegated from D2 will be in the 2nd Tier unless they reach a Provincial Final.
Price of failure !
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Captain Obvious

Quote from: tbrick18 on January 22, 2020, 10:14:07 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 21, 2020, 04:08:36 PM

So does that mean teams relegated from Div 2 this year will play in Tier 2 this year? Seems unfair if that's the case.
Yes and that wasn't the case until it was changed.

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on January 22, 2020, 12:10:34 PM
Teams relegated from D2 will be in the 2nd Tier unless they reach a Provincial Final.
Price of failure !

But sure Cork has a good chance of reaching a Provincal final.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

five points

Quote from: armaghniac on January 22, 2020, 02:23:41 PM
Price of failure !

But sure Cork has a good chance of reaching a Provincal final.

Not unless they beat Kerry first.

twohands!!!

Price of failure !

The way some are going on about Tier 2 football you'd swear it's going to be the end of the world for the teams who end up in it.
I'd say the only county that it would be a real disaster to end up playing in Tier 2 this summer would be Cork given they were playing Super 8 last summer and the expectation in the county that they have turned things around. I predict that come the end of the summer there's going to be a number of counties who are going to be very pleased with their extended championship and increased amount of games.

tbrick18

Price of failure !

This just seems wrong to me. So a team that plays Div 2 all year will play in Tier 2 championship in the same year, whilst a team that has played Div3 football all year will play in Tier1 championship.

You'd imagine the Div2 side will be very strong in Tier 2 and the Div3 side will be weak in Tier1.

Would it not have made more sense that in any given year, Tier1 = Div1 + Div2 in that same year, Tier2 = Div3+Div4?
I suppose the terms "sense" and "Gaa" don't always go together.

I'm not knocking the Tier2 setup, I think its good that teams can be competitive. I just don't see the logic behind that qualification route.

rodney trotter

Cork would be a better team then 3 or 4 of the teams in Division 2. They wouldn't be weak in Tier 1.  Tipperary made a All Ireland Semi a few years ago. They will be without Quinlivan this year a big loss.  Sweeney and Jack Kennedy are good forwards though.

It adds more incentive to the League by relegating and promoting teams, to Tier 1 and 2.

Blowitupref

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 22, 2020, 05:26:41 PM
Cork would be a better team then 3 or 4 of the teams in Division 2. They wouldn't be weak in Tier 1.  Tipperary made a All Ireland Semi a few years ago. They will be without Quinlivan this year a big loss.  Sweeney and Jack Kennedy are good forwards though.

It adds more incentive to the League by relegating and promoting teams, to Tier 1 and 2.

Rather odd that they allowed themselves to get relegated so.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

rodney trotter

They clearly improved from the League form in the Championship last year. They are aiming to go back up. Sheehan back. All Ireland u20 and Minor champions last year.

Blowitupref

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 22, 2020, 06:34:16 PM
They clearly improved from the League form in the Championship last year. They are aiming to go back up. Sheehan back. All Ireland u20 and Minor champions last year.

Two championship wins last summer v Laois and Limerick. Underage success was good but remains to be seen how many of those players will be established senior starters in the years ahead, afterall its not like Cork haven't had underage success before.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

tippabu

What is the situation with odd numbers in the qualifiers?

There's a few different example you could have anything from 1 munster teams in tier 1 championship to 5 teams.

Clare stay in div 2 or beat tipp and wford/limerick
Cork promotion or beat kerry
Tipp promotion or beat clare and wford/limerick
Wford and limerick - whichever wins 1/4 final then beat tipp/clare

You could have highly unlikely situation Cork don't get promotion and beat kerry, clare stay in div 2 tipp get promotion and Waterford / limerick reach a munster final. Are all possibilities for qualifiers thought about, I presume it's not a case if uneven numbers that one team could get a bye?