Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteOK when I say not great, they are as good as liverpool and not too far off man utd standard going on results head to head etc, but maybe the standards are falling

Now I like Celtic but they are not as good as either Man U or Liverpool. Granted they could put it up to them over two games (as they did with Man U) but if they were to play both of them 10 times they would definitely lose more than they win.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 09, 2007, 12:48:01 AM
QuoteOK when I say not great, they are as good as liverpool and not too far off man utd standard going on results head to head etc, but maybe the standards are falling

Now I like Celtic but they are not as good as either Man U or Liverpool. Granted they could put it up to them over two games (as they did with Man U) but if they were to play both of them 10 times they would definitely lose more than they win.

come off it
over two legs against man u they put up a bette show than most EPL sides and a fair result would have been a draw in both games.
How can people continue to keep saying that celtic will never be able to compete with the top epl sides when each time Celtic play one in the past number of years, the results have been more in Celtics favour.
This with a tiny fraction of a budget that the epl sides have.
I know why you say this, but if you take a step back you must see this is pants - Sorry but that old line can hardly apply any more.

It used to be that Celtic (or any scots club) couldnt match up with an english top side - hardly draw let alone win.
Then when Celtic beat liverpool/blackburn/man u etc - it is now, they couldnt compete over the 38 games in an EPL season.
If and when Celtic ever get into the epl/british elite league etc - I am sure that the goalposts will eventually have moved to something like
'only when Celtic (or scots team) manage to do the quadruple' or' if Celtic can make it 10 league championships in a row....'

the english media have yez all touting the same lines.
Celtic are not brilliant - but they are not that bad, and the top sides in the epl are not that much better...imo
Chelsea and arsenal are the two sides I think are good (but look where they are so my opinion is rubbish there too)

I take your point, but dont really agree with it!

ClosetotheHarte

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 09, 2007, 12:48:01 AM

How do you explain then that in Celtic's last 8 European meetings with EPL opposition (ManU twice, Liverpool four times, Blackburn twice) that Celtic have lost just once? And the one defeat might have been avoided if the ref hadn't given a dodgy pen at Old Trafford to let ManU into the game! Is this just a lucky streak?
The problem with comparing Celtic to EPL sides is that the EPL players get such an incredible amount of exposure that they achieve celebrity status quickly and people begin to believe that many of these players are actually better than they are. Celtic players don't get the same exposure and because they haven't the same celebrity status, people automatically assume they aren't as good as the premiership players. I'm always amazed when unknown foreigners (Liverpool signed them by the dozen a few years ago) come into the premiership and people suddenly start talking about hot properties and they are blown up to be something special very quickly when in reality they're anything but.
The really big difference between Celtic and the EPL clubs is the vast difference in TV revenue they receive, with EPL clubs now allowed to spend as they like on players, although the transfer prices then become so inflated that fans again think the players they've bought are way better than they are, not realising that their club has just paid miles over the odds for those players.
Celtic, unless they get into the EPL, will always have much less to spend on players but lately they have been spending it smartly, getting great value in most cases. God forbid, I would just hate it if Celtic were ever taken over by someone like Abramovich and could buy £30 million players whenever they felt like it.

PS Why has nobody given Celtic any credit or respect for beating teams like ManU, Liverpool, Juventus, Barcelona, Porto, Ajax, Benfica, Lyon, Valencia, Stuttgart, Celta Vigo, Blackburn, Bordeaux, Boavista, Rosenborg, Copenhagen, Anderlecht and many others in recent years, and drawing with teams like Milan (3 times), Villareal and Bayern Munich? Are Celtic lucky all the time? And what about the club's home record in Europe which is second to none? Have people not learned anything about Celtic from these results? In the case of Barcelona, last year's CL winners, Celtic have drawn with them twice in the Nou Camp as well as beating them at Celtic Park.

hobnob1

Lads, Milan should have had a penalty too, when Naylon took down inzaghi and the ref gave a free kick on the edge of the box. That was  a clear penalty. Celtic would have been beaten 4 or 5 nil only for boruc, ye have to admit that. Lennon is shit, jes they need a new midfielder that can hold the ball and grind out posession, Lennon in my eyes was over rated always. Sno will be a great player yet, Vennegor is a top striker just give him a chance. Nakamura is also quite good. McGeady is awful weak, he needs to bulk up a bit. Telfer used to paly for southampton did he? if so it speaks for its self, from championship to cvhampions league, it dosent work

ClosetotheHarte

Quote from: hobnob1 on March 09, 2007, 10:28:53 AM
Lads, Milan should have had a penalty too, when Naylon took down inzaghi and the ref gave a free kick on the edge of the box. That was  a clear penalty. Celtic would have been beaten 4 or 5 nil only for boruc, ye have to admit that. Lennon is shit, jes they need a new midfielder that can hold the ball and grind out posession, Lennon in my eyes was over rated always. Sno will be a great player yet, Vennegor is a top striker just give him a chance. Nakamura is also quite good. McGeady is awful weak, he needs to bulk up a bit. Telfer used to paly for southampton did he? if so it speaks for its self, from championship to cvhampions league, it dosent work

Milan at least got a free kick for that foul by Naylor, plus many other dubious frees throughout the match! The ref sadly didn't have the courage to give Celtic either of the two penalties they deserved.
"Celtic would have been beaten 4 or 5 nil only for boruc" - that's like saying it would have been 0-0 only for Kaka!
As for your point on Telfer (who was only bought as back-up anyway and has played more than was intended because of injuries) are you saying that there isn't an player who once played in the Championship now playing for any of the top teams in the EPL? What a stupid point you made! All the top English players in the EPL have either come through their club's youth system or played for a smaller club before making the breakthrough/step up.
It pleases me greatly to see how impressive a player like Kevin Doyle has been in the EPL for Reading this season, a player who cost £78,000 and who learned his trade in the League of Ireland, then the Championship!
Lennon has been a brilliant servant to Celtic and, although he did a decent job on Wed night, his time is now up, as is Telfer's.

tyroneman

QuoteAs for your review of each player I find a lot of them unbelievable. Naylor had an excellent game and is one hell of a buy at £600k. Telfer might not be a fans favourite but got the job done and calling McManus "bombscare" is crazy...did well and led a defence which held a clean sheet in the San Siro over the 90mins - bombscare?  Sno also did well and is another cracking bargain from Strachan. VoH wasnt match fit and playing as a lone striker...what were you expecting from him? Good shift in the circumstances. And was it not for Kenny Miller's outstanding showing against Benfica you would have been out of the competition long ago....plus his performances for Scotland against Italy and Germany have shown he can do it against the best defenders.

You need to be a bit more realistic.

I would suggest you pay for Setanta or make a few trips over to CP my friend.

Naylor is excellent VALUE, and a reasonable / good player in the SPL- however in Europe he gets is often skinned and relies on last ditch tackling (which always pleases the masses) to get him out of jail. His distribution is also generally poor. 7 times out of 10 he will punt the ball aimlessly upfield in any given match.

Kenny Miller is a joke. An international striker who has managed what 4, 5? goals for Celtic so far?

McManus is a big solid, uncomproising defender- nothing more. He is also prone to at least 1 or 2 scares per match and does not have the pace or brains to elevate himslef into a higher bracket. A squad player who has benefitted from the injury of others.

Telfer has been shocking all season. No pace, little skill.

Sno was rank in Milan. Gave one of the worst displays of p[assing in recent years. If it didnlt go backwards it ended up with a Milan player - and how often did he piss around on the ball so much that it was simply lifted off his toe?

Lets not confuse a'heroic' rearguard action against an average Mil;an side with us suddenly being world beaters.

cavan4ever

Its always a hard luck story with Celtic,  until they go out and buy players who are good enough to play in the champions league things will get no better. 

hobnob1

Lennon has been a brilliant servant to Celtic and, although he did a decent job on Wed night, his time is now up, as is Telfer's.
Lennon has been a brilliant servant to Celtic and, although he did a decent job on Wed night, his time is now up, as is Telfer'

Exactly my point, Celtic only bought Telfer at the end of his career, he couldnt cut it in the premiership with southampton or in the championship last season yet celtic buy him and expext him to perform against AC Milan, not a hope in hell of winning anything of merit if they keep bringing in these worn out stags

lynchbhoy

Quote from: cavan4ever on March 09, 2007, 02:34:31 PM
Its always a hard luck story with Celtic,  until they go out and buy players who are good enough to play in the champions league things will get no better. 
I'd say they would be happy to get to the last 16 each year and within an asses roar of going through like they did the last night - better teams have dominated yet still not got through.
Celtics euro tactics are just like those of Red star when they had 11 men behind the ball refused to play any sort of football and held out for penalites, then stuck them all in the cornes, watched marseill miss a couple and become winners of the european cup.
Then you have milan playing liverpool off the park a couple of seasons ago and liverpool scored against the run of play, changed the game and we all know what happened after penalties.
:)

cavan4ever

IF they want to suceed in europe they will have to get out of the SPL.  They are a big club in a small pond and the players that they need won't come.  Sno will fcuk of within 2 years and  nakamura prob won't stay much longer.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: cavan4ever on March 09, 2007, 03:08:01 PM
IF they want to suceed in europe they will have to get out of the SPL.  They are a big club in a small pond and the players that they need won't come.  Sno will fcuk of within 2 years and  nakamura prob won't stay much longer.
Thats Dermot Desmonds holy grail. Hes working hard on a lot of epl chairmen!
There are plenty of decent players about and to be had to replace the likes of nakamura and sno - like JVOH who I had never heard of before and I now think he is superb..

cavan4ever

yes decent is the word, celtic need world class players though.  Mcgeady might be a great player if he weighted more than 7 stone if he gets stronger he has a chance if not he will disappear.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: cavan4ever on March 09, 2007, 03:16:18 PM
yes decent is the word, celtic need world class players though.  Mcgeady might be a great player if he weighted more than 7 stone if he gets stronger he has a chance if not he will disappear.

not necessarily,
Think TEAM is what you want first.
Madrid had a squad of percieved ' superstars' but were complete and utter rubbish...

a combo is required. A couple of stars in a good TEAM imo is what you need.

Chelase are as close as a good team of superstars are you are gonna get.
The rest of the last 8 in the CL I think are predominatly good decent players with a few outstanding individuals in each.

cavan4ever

yah chelsea there lucky drogba(how d fuk u spell it) doesn't get to many injuries.  Well if celtic y get outta SPL they will have better chances of success in Europe thats 4 sure

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: tyroneman on March 09, 2007, 02:21:41 PM
Lets not confuse a'heroic' rearguard action against an average Mil;an side with us suddenly being world beaters.

I didnt use the word heroic or say Celtic were world beaters or anything near that. It was though a decent effort and a good solid European campaign when Celtic went further in the Champions League than they ever had before. To slate the team like you did shows a lack of understanding of Celtic's situation and their standing in the European game.

One mistake Strachan did make the other night was not getting Riordan on...a player who can pose the same threat down the left as McGeady but also pop up with a goal out of nothing. A player who has not been a proper chance to shine with Celtic so far.