?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on March 02, 2007, 02:17:10 PM
Quote from: mannix on March 02, 2007, 01:02:07 PM
It annoys you boys because its true, celtic have little or no competition in scotland.
I am not here to wind anyone up, just tire of hearing lads on about the great celtic and my cousin saying they would beat any team in the world.Its great and all being a big fish in a small pond,but its a great wonder the do not join the epl, i suppose that would not suit a team that knows it will be champion for 10 of the next 20 years or more.
I have nothing against celtic.They are no doubt a massive club but are definetly hamstrung in a third world league, the league of ireland is not far behind in terms of quality if the truth be told and only for the big 2 spl teams the thing would be just as big a joke.

I leave it at that and let you get all pissed off, the truth hurts.

Celtic have no competition in Scotland yet they have been knocked out the CIS Cup and were a minute away from going out of the Scottish Cup last week....looks like competition to me. You say they will be champions for 10 of the 20 seasons so presumably somebody else is going to win the other 10, isnt that competition :o?

As for you saying the SPL is a joke other than the old firm I doubt you have a clue what youre talking about, there are plenty of good players and good teams outside the old firm (which is why the old firm are always raiding the other teams for players).

I fear both you and your cousin are talking a load of rafael scheidt.

shit we really are going to the bottom of the barrel!!!!   ;)
Tbc....

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

The night is nearly upon us.............!!!
Ohhhh I could crush a grape!!!

Just heard a Celtic fan was knocked down last night by a taxi, he died this morning. God rest his soul.

Hears to a Hoops victory, if only for the memory of this young fan....  :(
Tbc....

charlie linkbox

And thus ends the European adventure.......

Syd The Sailor

Did youse hear Ruud Gullit pishing himself laughing at the site of Lennon with his top off after the game. Priceless...
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"

tyroneman

Can't remember when I have been as bored watching one of Celtics big Euro nights. There was something of the inevitable about it all - you just knew they carried NO threat to Milan whatsoever.

Thats not to say Milan were good, far from it but even so they hit the post and bar how many times????Shot count near end = 28 to 5 at one stage

WGS has moulded a team that believes only in square /  backwards passing and hoofing long balls up front in random directions and which has enjoyed the luck of a million black cats, wearing rabbits feet sleeping under horseshoes adn the bonus of the worst Rankers team in decades.

For what it's worth........tonight

Boruc: once again our best player by a country mile
Naylor: good in places but still made way too many misplaced punts upfield. Last ditch tackling seemed to be interpreted as classy defending by pundits.
O'Dea: Solid
Bombscare: usual, solid and unskilfull
Telfer: usual shite self
Naka: where was he, did he miss the plane?
Lemon and Slow: back, back, sideways, back, lose ball -now repeat. Truly awful the both of them
Jarosik: how he looked good in prem is beyond me. A clown.
McGeady: tried at least, only threat we had all night
JVoH: not at races, won little in air, seemed to have very poor positioning (although this could be down to the STOOPID long balls we played from the back)

Subs:
Tommy G: played very well, only urgency in CM all night. Looked a bette forward in 20min than Miller has all season.
Beattie: last touch summed it up. Ball to feet in box - he falls over and ball ends up over goal line to kill game. Awful player.A bigger clown than Jiri even.
Miller: Time to go Kenny

bignifanatic

Just got in, what a great night out and I am knackered, it was grreat to see that Kaka shit all over celtic ;D

why dont all of you start supporting an up and coming team like Northern Ireland, at least we are still in the hunt for qualificationn for the European championship unlike you beloved sellik and do not even get me going on that shit you call fotball, it is a bad night for sellick fans and I am one happy wee country suporter. ;D I did the bouncy all the way home na nah na na.

stephenite

Quote from: bignifanatic on March 08, 2007, 02:25:54 AM
I am one happy wee country suporter. ;D I did the bouncy all the way home na nah na na.

What country would that be son?

charlie linkbox

I think bignidickhead your comment would be more suited to the "irrational phobia" thread.
Celtic should be congratulated for their efforts.

ClosetotheHarte

Tyroneman, I think you were a bit harsh there in places. I was gutted at the outcome but I thought Celtic's performance was close to heroic for a lot of the game. Celtic needed all the luck going (as most teams visiting the San Siro would) and although the crossbar came to their rescue a few times they could have had two penalties - the first was a stonewall penalty. If that decision had been given Milan would have needed 2 goals and we could have had a classic.
Celtic didn't have many clear chances but they were brilliant defensively (the vast majority of those Milan shots were from far out because they found it very hard to get inside) with O'Dea (only 19), McManus and Naylor all outstanding. Even Telfer was solid. Is Boruc the bets keeper in the world right now?
In midfield, Sno (only 19) had a great first half but everything went pear shaped for him after that and he made the mistake which led to the goal. Don't worry, he'll come good in time. Lennon was quietly effective, but is clearly coming to the end. McGeady (only 20) was outstanding all night but Naka was certainly quiet on the other side while Venegoor battled away but found it tough up front on his own. Jarosik was disappointing (as he has been too often this season) but Gravesen made a big difference when he came on.
Celtic are certainly short a few quality players to reach the latter stages of the CL but they still could have done it last night. But I'm confident this team is on the way up and we'll see some more quality arriving in the summer (apparently Celtic will have their biggest transfer budget for years). The basis of a good team is there and I'm confident the Celts are going to get stronger under Strachan.
Celtic have come a long way in recent years and are still on an upward curve. The fact that they are being criticised by some for drawing home and away with Milan shows how far they've come.

tyroneman

ClosetotheHarte. Much as I would love to champion last nights performace I just can't. In what was the biggest game for Celtic in a long long time I can't remember being so bored.

WGS has put together a team of cloggers, even moreso than MON. At least we had Larsson to inspire - who now??? Naka - sure he only plays home games. If you truly believe that the way forward for Celtic is to pack a MF with 2 holding players and hope for a free kick near the box then I that just sums up how low Celtic's footballing standards have got.

O'Dea is a good prospect however of the rest I would only keep Boruc, Naylor and McGeady

QuoteThe basis of a good team is there

Where???? Slow, Lemon, Jarosik, Majic, Miller, McManus, Telfer, Wilson and Beattie are all NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Naka - once again hid all night. Even his free kicks were dreadful to a one.

QuoteLennon was quietly effective, but is clearly coming to the end

Lemon did fcuk all last night. Couldn't even tub Kaka over in the centre to halt  his run. Was finished 2 years ago.

QuoteI thought Celtic's performance was close to heroic for a lot of the game.

If by heroic you mean like the alamo, scrambling to get head, leg, foot and whatever else in front of the ball in a blind panic then fair enough. But lets not forget Milan had to basically break down a 10 man wall - and still hit the woodwork numerous times.

Next year we will need about 7 new faces for that squad. I predict the bargain basement will be raided.

ClosetotheHarte

Quote from: tyroneman on March 08, 2007, 01:15:18 PM
ClosetotheHarte. Much as I would love to champion last nights performace I just can't. In what was the biggest game for Celtic in a long long time I can't remember being so bored.

WGS has put together a team of cloggers, even moreso than MON. At least we had Larsson to inspire - who now??? Naka - sure he only plays home games. If you truly believe that the way forward for Celtic is to pack a MF with 2 holding players and hope for a free kick near the box then I that just sums up how low Celtic's footballing standards have got.

O'Dea is a good prospect however of the rest I would only keep Boruc, Naylor and McGeady

QuoteThe basis of a good team is there

Where???? Slow, Lemon, Jarosik, Majic, Miller, McManus, Telfer, Wilson and Beattie are all NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Naka - once again hid all night. Even his free kicks were dreadful to a one.

QuoteLennon was quietly effective, but is clearly coming to the end

Lemon did fcuk all last night. Couldn't even tub Kaka over in the centre to halt  his run. Was finished 2 years ago.

QuoteI thought Celtic's performance was close to heroic for a lot of the game.

If by heroic you mean like the alamo, scrambling to get head, leg, foot and whatever else in front of the ball in a blind panic then fair enough. But lets not forget Milan had to basically break down a 10 man wall - and still hit the woodwork numerous times.

Next year we will need about 7 new faces for that squad. I predict the bargain basement will be raided.

I agree changes are required - and they'll happen. Also agree there are question marks over a lot of players - Jarosik and Gravesen above all, although Tommy is starting to show some of the reasons why we bought him and may come good next season - but I'v no doubt players like Naylor, Wilson (injury has held his development back this year), McManus (can't believe you didn't see how good he was last night!), O'Dea, Caldwell, McGeady, Sno (you're not giving a 19 year old much of a chance!), Naka, Riordan and Venegoor all have big roles to play in Celtic's future, plus Kennedy if he makes it back to where we was before his injury. Plus Hartley could have lots to offer over the next couple of years - his energy would have helped last night. Boruc is world class - hopefully we can keep him.
Time is up for Lennon, Telfer and Bobo - and Zurawski, partly through injury, has gone backwards, and I think most Celtic fans believe its also time to let Miller and Beattie go and get in a top quality partner for Big Jan, who went into last night's game with an injury and didn't do himself justice.
There is some surgery needed but not as much as you think. One good attacking midfielder and a real quality striker are top of the list. And maybe another two on top of that.
I agree it was very frustrating at times last night (couldn't say I was bored though) because Celtic had the beating of Milan and were lacking a cutting edge, and Naka was way below par, but it was another great learning experience for this side. As I said Celtic have come a long way and some more patience is required among supporters. Strachan has only been in charge for about 18 months and is still building his own team. It's a fact that Celtic will be spending more money this summer than they have done for some time.

hows she cutting

lennon did look slightly overweight i'd admit. I've been a big fan of his over the years and although yes he can still do a job in th SPL we need something more when it comes to the CL.

Sno needs to learn to pass the ball to a team mate and not always backwards

thought Graveson played well when he came on, although his delivery from set pieces when Naka went off was poor

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: tyroneman on March 08, 2007, 12:53:07 AM
WGS has moulded a team that believes only in square /  backwards passing and hoofing long balls up front in random directions and which has enjoyed the luck of a million black cats, wearing rabbits feet sleeping under horseshoes adn the bonus of the worst Rankers team in decades.

For what it's worth........tonight

Boruc: once again our best player by a country mile
Naylor: good in places but still made way too many misplaced punts upfield. Last ditch tackling seemed to be interpreted as classy defending by pundits.
O'Dea: Solid
Bombscare: usual, solid and unskilfull
Telfer: usual shite self
Naka: where was he, did he miss the plane?
Lemon and Slow: back, back, sideways, back, lose ball -now repeat. Truly awful the both of them
Jarosik: how he looked good in prem is beyond me. A clown.
McGeady: tried at least, only threat we had all night
JVoH: not at races, won little in air, seemed to have very poor positioning (although this could be down to the STOOPID long balls we played from the back)

Subs:
Tommy G: played very well, only urgency in CM all night. Looked a bette forward in 20min than Miller has all season.
Beattie: last touch summed it up. Ball to feet in box - he falls over and ball ends up over goal line to kill game. Awful player.A bigger clown than Jiri even.
Miller: Time to go Kenny

Bizzare stuff given Celtic were up against one of Europe's superpowers and a team who are on a different level in terms of quality of player and finance. Celtic were never going to go to the San Siro and boss the game but they did a good job of keeping it tight and threatening on the break. They should have had a penalty and crucial away goal in the first 5 minutes too and had another good shout later on.
Despite inheriting an aging team and a shrinking budget Strachan has taken the team further in the CL than MON ever did...you would think he deserves a bit of praise ???

As for your review of each player I find a lot of them unbelievable. Naylor had an excellent game and is one hell of a buy at £600k. Telfer might not be a fans favourite but got the job done and calling McManus "bombscare" is crazy...did well and led a defence which held a clean sheet in the San Siro over the 90mins - bombscare? :o Sno also did well and is another cracking bargain from Strachan. VoH wasnt match fit and playing as a lone striker...what were you expecting from him? Good shift in the circumstances. And was it not for Kenny Miller's outstanding showing against Benfica you would have been out of the competition long ago....plus his performances for Scotland against Italy and Germany have shown he can do it against the best defenders.

You need to be a bit more realistic.

ClosetotheHarte

Lamh Dhearg Alba, well said. I thought Tyroneman was very harsh in his analysis - maybe it was just a knee jerk reaction to the defeat last night.
The Celts did us proud in the San Siro and sometime in the near future we may even get one of those penalty decisions in our favour against one of the 'superpowers' and more history can be made by this team. When you think of the number of dodgy penalties given against us in Europe (Lyon, ManU, etc) you'd think it would balance itself out over time but once again we didn't get even one of the two penalty awards we deserved last night.
Onwards and upwards!

lynchbhoy

Celtic were / are just nt good enough. G Strachan has got them to the last 16, but they are not a great side to be honest and were lucky to get that far. OK when I say not great, they are as good as liverpool and not too far off man utd standard going on results head to head etc, but maybe the standards are falling

Celtic cannot complain, Strachan has been playing a rotation system that has stunted any kind of team continuity and as a result Celtic couldnt give a decent account of themselves even if they wanted to.

then Strachan plays a def formation. It worked at home v man u and also to a certain extend v milan last time out. They conceeded no goals, so GS more or less has to continue this line up.
I think he also is still feeling the pain of losing 5-0 away to artmedia bratislava, and the managerial lesson he learned that night - where he was complacent about his opponents.
So rather than go out and make a game of it, GS wants to keep it tight and hope to nick a goal from a breakaway, set piece or free kick etc as has happened this season.
The service to JVOH and any Celtic striker has been dire. Also playing jarosik as a secondary striker has never worked from day one when strachan did this. Why persist.
A decent run and battling performances from a very game side- but limited.
Also limited manager, is he a lucky one ...next season will tell...