2024 Joe McDonagh Cup

Started by Mossy Bruce, March 24, 2024, 08:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossy Bruce

Oh, that final is going to be a cracker of a match!!!
I sure hope someone is going to televise it!
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

G@@

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on May 19, 2024, 05:06:44 PMOh, that final is going to be a cracker of a match!!!
I sure hope someone is going to televise it!
Almost certain RTE TV will cover this game ahead of the Leinster Final on June 8th. It'll probably be a 3.30pm or 4pm Irish time throw in with the Leinster Final to follow at 6pm.

I don't know if RTE matches are geo-blocked outside of Ireland Mossy, if you can go to https://www.rte.ie/player/onnow on Sunday from around 2pm Irish time and see if you can watch whatever game is on live.

If it doesn't work for you, then you'll need to look at getting some VPN software which allows you to cloak your location and set it to Ireland. There are plenty of free VPN software to be had at the end of a google search!
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

imtommygunn

GAA Go might do it too for non Ireland?

Spiritof1915

Our neighbours in Offaly are beginning to play 'Laois only have to turn up to win card' across their forum.
Seems they didn't like the press they got last year for fielding their 2nd team against Carlow and waiting breathlessly to see what Laois team fields away to Westmeath this year.
The final is a 50 50 game. Just hoping the laois boys don't fall into that trap being set across the border. Sur don't they have the best u20 hurling team of all time.

Laois Rising

I think this game is possibly more 60/40 in Offaly's favour. They were for a long period of time the better team in the opening round contest and had they been more ruthless in taking their chances we wouldn't have been in a position to mount the fightback that we did. They will bring that hurt into the game and look to rectify things come the final.

The added feel good factor and positivity that the u20s success will bring to the camp and the fact its playing Laois all tip the scales slightly towards Offaly I fear.

No disrespect to previous Joe McDonagh finals and winners but this final is probably the strongest one in terms of the two teams competing in the final yet. Really looking forward to it and the final should bring a big support out from both counties.   

redsetanta

The one thing I would say is that Laois have been unstoppable since that win against Offaly.
The best team in the competition.
The Offaly win seems to have given them a lot of confidence.
Plenty of players have been used and Maher has rotated with every game and during games.
We have a very good panel and subs have been used at the right time in games.
Overall I think management have also done very well and will have the lads ready for the final.
The only downside I see is Offaly in Croke Park, a place where we haven't fared so well against them in the past and tradition and mentality will play a big part.
Looking forward to what should be a cracking game of hurling.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

County Man

Huge congratulations to all on reaching the Joe McDonagh final with a game to spare.

June 8th promises to be a fantastic occasion with a big crowd expected especially with the double header with the Leinster final.

I read earlier that it will be the first senior hurling game between Laois and Offaly at Croke Park since 1997.

burdizzo

Yes, I agree - firstly with the congrats to the management team, who seem to have the team ratchetting up nicely - but also w/ Laois Rising's assessment of this being slightly in Offaly's favour. Even if we do manage to beat them, though, I'd say it'll be the last time we do for quite a while.

Joeythelips

The bookies cant separate them anyway, 5/6 for either to win. Offaly with u-20s success have a feel good factor but Laois know they can beat them. It will be a proper championship game with both sides getting a crack at the AI championship. This is the format hurling and football take, forget the provincials and run off the 2nd tier comp and the winners get a go at the big one as well as promotion for next season.

The Boy Wonder

Quote from: redsetanta on Today at 12:21:29 PMOverall I think management have also done very well and will have the lads ready for the final.
The only downside I see is Offaly in Croke Park, a place where we haven't fared so well against them in the past and tradition and mentality will play a big part.
Looking forward to what should be a cracking game of hurling.

I think you summed it up pretty well - we travel in hope more than confidence.
Let's hope for a repeat of the great clashes with Offaly in the early 1980s with us coming out on top for a change.

From Hoganstand:
Saturday 15 / Sunday 16 June
All-Ireland SHC preliminary quarter-finals
Joe McDonagh Cup winner v 3rd placed Munster team, TBC, TBC
Joe McDonagh Cup runner-up v 3rd placed Leinster team, TBC, TBC

The winner of the Joe McDonagh Cup draws the short straw - a probable date with Cork  :(

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: G@@ on Today at 10:01:32 AMAlmost certain RTE TV will cover this game ahead of the Leinster Final on June 8th. It'll probably be a 3.30pm or 4pm Irish time throw in with the Leinster Final to follow at 6pm.

I don't know if RTE matches are geo-blocked outside of Ireland Mossy, if you can go to https://www.rte.ie/player/onnow on Sunday from around 2pm Irish time and see if you can watch whatever game is on live.

If it doesn't work for you, then you'll need to look at getting some VPN software which allows you to cloak your location and set it to Ireland. There are plenty of free VPN software to be had at the end of a google search!

Quote from: imtommygunn on Today at 10:05:00 AMGAA Go might do it too for non Ireland?

RTÉ is geo-blocked, here in the States. A few years back, I tried watching a match on RTÉ via a VPN but RTÉ could detect it and I was still blocked (clever bastards). I do have a better VPN service, now, so I might try again.

I do have a GAAGO account so that's going to be first choice.

I'm REALLY looking forward to this match. It's going to be a brutal fight.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!