You know what really grinds my gears?

Started by corn02, June 02, 2007, 03:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Never beat the deeler

Jays lads ye're in great form these days - had to go to page 4 to find this thread.....

Was sitting down to watch a film the other night, and the lad beside me goes 'You'll love this, its a great movie with a great twist at the end.'

So I sat there, knowing that it obviously wasn't the guy that we were supposed to think was the bad guy, and was probably his seemingly straight laced partner.... Ruined the feckin' thing  >:(
Hasta la victoria siempre

paco

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: paco on August 10, 2010, 11:02:32 PM
What was the film?

****SPOILERS*****

Deliberately didnt mention it so I wouldnt ruin it for anyone who hasnt seen it, but Righteous Kill

Could do with a spoiler function on this board
Hasta la victoria siempre

ross4life

funerals..

Just returned from one, a local lad i knew passed away, what grinds my gears is the whole set up of irish funerals e.g going around shaking hands with each & every family member not knowing what to say?

A life should celebrated & not mourned... for family to sit through that is terrible

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: ross4life on August 13, 2010, 08:05:59 PM
funerals..

Just returned from one, a local lad i knew passed away, what grinds my gears is the whole set up of irish funerals e.g going around shaking hands with each & every family member not knowing what to say?

A life should celebrated & not mourned... for family to sit through that is terrible

Maybe some family's take great comfort in it and find it helps ease the pain..
Do you not think it be worse if they were left alone with no one offering their condolences? 
And what do you mean not knowing what to say?
You shake their hand and say sorry for your loss,its not that difficult.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

pintsofguinness

funerals..

It's showing your support for the family, personally I've taken great comfort from it when in that situation.
Families aren't generally in the celebrating mood in the days after a loved one's death either.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ross4life

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 13, 2010, 08:09:55 PM
funerals..

Do you not think it be worse if they were left alone with no one offering their condolences? 

Sitting down for hours shaking hands with mainly strangers doesn't help ease the pain, should be a get together to celebrate the life, IMO family members are put on display having to sit through it & You have go to each member & say sorry for loss sounding like a broken clock in the end

Having sat through a lot funerals myself there must be a better way of doing it?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ross4life on August 13, 2010, 09:00:05 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 13, 2010, 08:09:55 PM
funerals..

Sitting down for hours shaking hands with mainly strangers doesn't help ease the pain,
should be a get together to celebrate the life, IMO family members are put on display having to sit through it & You have go to each member & say sorry for loss sounding like a broken clock in the end

Having sat through a lot funerals myself there must be a better way of doing it?
Not my experience or my family's either. 
What would you want people to do to "celebrate the life"?
and you're not required to say the same thing to every member of the family or even to say anything.

ross4life

When i say "celebrate the life" i don't mean some mad party, & sure you have the choice of saying something or not but IMO meeting the family members in the Pub after wards having the chance to sit with them for a proper chat about the good life he/she had helps ease the pain more

anyways the thread title say's it all "grinds my gears" everyone will have a different opinion on it

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ross4life on August 13, 2010, 09:26:31 PM
When i say "celebrate the life" i don't mean some mad party, & sure you have the choice of saying something or not but IMO meeting the family members in the Pub after wards having the chance to sit with them for a proper chat about the good life he/she had helps ease the pain more

anyways the thread title say's it all "grinds my gears" everyone will have a different opinion on it
You do that at the wake  ???

Everyone may have a different opinion on it but this is a discussion board  ;)

Puckoon

funerals..

Surely a bit of sincerity should get you out relatively unscathed. Unless of course the deceased was a shitehawk - in which case don't go or keep your opinions to yourself.

Just because words and phrases are used often - doesnt mean that their meaning gets diluted.

Would saying Happy Birthday to someone suck just because someone else said it too?

ross4life

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 13, 2010, 09:29:51 PM
Quote from: ross4life on August 13, 2010, 09:26:31 PM

You do that at the wake  ???

Everyone may have a different opinion on it but this is a discussion board  ;)

Yes have been to some funerals where we have met in the pub after wards, I have heard of funerals where they play the guitar and everybody sang, ate good food, wore bright colours and really had a joyous time talking about great memories. but it's all a matter of taste i guess

Hardy

One of the things we do very well as a people and a community, in my opinion, is how we handle death, funerals, support of the bereaved and all that goes with it. We're at our best when we're supporting our neighbours and friends through loss. I agree with pintsofguinness that the support of neighbours and friends is a great source of strength in coping with loss.

ONeill

The lack of pipe smokers.
The lack of bearded men.
The lack of moustached men.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ziggysego

Quote from: ONeill on August 13, 2010, 10:37:35 PM
The lack of pipe smokers.
The lack of bearded men.
The lack of moustached men.

I had a moustache last year. It tickled my nose, so I shaved it off. That and it looked like I was auditioning for the Village People. Don't like their music, Mika's where it's at now.
Testing Accessibility