You know what really grinds my gears?

Started by corn02, June 02, 2007, 03:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: upmonaghansayswe on July 09, 2010, 10:36:52 PM
People who change their name into Irish on Facebook.. If it wasn't in Irish when ya set it up don't change it.. A poor attempt at patriotic bullshit !..

Well said.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Puckoon

Quote from: ONeill on July 27, 2010, 07:17:39 PM
People who change their name into Irish on Facebook.. If it wasn't in Irish when ya set it up don't change it.. A poor attempt at patriotic bullshit !..

Well said.

Had a friend who did this. I asked him why he did it. He changed it because he was in the job market, and wanted to be undetectable to any potential employers.

When I started my new job, I found out most of my co-workers and my bosses wife had facebooked and/or googled me.

Something to think about.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Puckoon on July 27, 2010, 07:22:40 PM
Quote from: ONeill on July 27, 2010, 07:17:39 PM

Well said.

Had a friend who did this. I asked him why he did it. He changed it because he was in the job market, and wanted to be undetectable to any potential employers.

When I started my new job, I found out most of my co-workers and my bosses wife had facebooked and/or googled me.

Something to think about.
Do they know they can set the privacy so not everyone can see the page?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Puckoon

Suppose its a catch 22.
It is a social networking site - so you dont want to have privacy set to fort knox levels and end up being un-findable. At the same time, most of us want to have a degree of privacy. I've my own set to a relatively private level, but a search would produce my name and profile picture. So if I was applying for a new job and had a profile picture of me swilling a pint of stout - it might not produce the same levels of excitement in a potential employer as it would for myself. Not to mention, you cant set it to block people who you dont know might be looking for you. It's hard to think about everything, and you can't know what you don't know, and I will conceede that my buddy's rationale cannot be applied across the board.

pintsofguinness

I can't see any employer caring if you have a picture of you drinking a pint - posing naked or something may be different.

This excuse about employers has been wheeled out now about people putting their degrees on facebook and now about people changing their names to Irish - I don't buy either of them.

Puckoon

I am certainly not selling excuses - just throwing up a reason. There is a difference.

Do people need an excuse for either of those things when we really get down to it?

ONeill

Quote from: Puckoon on July 27, 2010, 07:29:52 PM
Suppose its a catch 22.
It is a social networking site - so you dont want to have privacy set to fort knox levels and end up being un-findable. At the same time, most of us want to have a degree of privacy. I've my own set to a relatively private level, but a search would produce my name and profile picture. So if I was applying for a new job and had a profile picture of me swilling a pint of stout - it might not produce the same levels of excitement in a potential employer as it would for myself. Not to mention, you cant set it to block people who you dont know might be looking for you. It's hard to think about everything, and you can't know what you don't know, and I will conceede that my buddy's rationale cannot be applied across the board.

I hate that rationale (not saying it's yours). You are who you feckin are.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Puckoon

I had never thought about it before, until my "welcome to the group" lunch at my new job. They'd all fecking googled and facebooked me, and the entire group had had input into my hiring. I am sure some idiot out there has gotten burned by public information they have put online. It maybe ties back to the reason people would be against posting their real names on this forum as was discussed in another thread.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Puckoon on July 27, 2010, 08:18:54 PM
I am certainly not selling excuses - just throwing up a reason. There is a difference.

Do people need an excuse for either of those things when we really get down to it?
The irish name thing doesnt really bother me - but anyone who puts their degree on there or letters after their name etc just screams KNOB!

Quote from: ONeill on July 27, 2010, 08:22:05 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on July 27, 2010, 07:29:52 PM
Suppose its a catch 22.

I hate that rationale (not saying it's yours). You are who you feckin are.
exactly

They sound like a nosey crowd puck.

Puckoon

upmonaghansayswe

Ya just got in there before me Puckoon..  That is the feckin world we live in..

pintsofguinness

We've a good few started work with us about a month ago and it never occurred to me to google for facebook any of them - jeeze I couldn't care less.

Puckoon

Then theres the fecker you just hired - who in 3 months is gonna turn an automatic rifle on you all and then people will be wondering where the feckin background check was. It's a no win situation.

I'll be wondering if I am getting your xbox.

pintsofguinness

personally I dont worry about anyone turning an automatic rifle on us all because I know if anyone is going to do that it's most likely going to be me. 

pintsofguinness

when your playing snooker/pool on the ps3 and you get distracted by the gaaboard then when you go back to it you can't remember what ball you're suppose to be aiming for.