You know what really grinds my gears?

Started by corn02, June 02, 2007, 03:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

On that theme, I am getting fed up with ramps that are too high for my car to go over.  There's one in my development, if I don't have the right acceleration going over it, the bottom of the car whacks off it.  Surely there's some maximum height for ramps or minimum height for car undercarriages or whatever??

maddog

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 20, 2009, 10:46:55 PM
Quote from: hardstation on January 20, 2009, 10:36:20 PM
That's something that I've always wondered about. Anytime I've been going to England, everyone says "Make sure you get Bank of England notes" but I can never be arsed and take whatever I have, usually a mixture of BOI, Northern, First Trust etc. I've never had a problem.

Is it a big problem?
I've one in the wallet since I came back from Christmas holidays and I can't get f**king rid of it! I just get dumb looks "sorry we can't take that"
"why not"
"it's irish"
"it's sterling"
"we can't take irish money"
"but it's sterling"
"we can't take..."
"oh f**king forget it! give us back our country!"

It just depends on whether you get an intelligent person at a checkout or not, so far I havent!
Couldnt believe the self service checkout wont take it though, how does it know?!!!
How hard is it though? They'll take bank of scotland notes! 

Know an Irish boy who was over though with bank of ireland notes and they refused to take it of him in some shop so he just picked up his things and went to walk out the door with them running after him "excuse me, you've to pay for that" to which he replied "I was paying for it and you wouldnt take it" - they took it then! Dont think I'll have the balls to do that. 

Rarely have a problem round Birmingham anymore with that. Any of the supermarkets seemed to have a bit of training on it now, if its says sterling its good enough for them. The exception are Scottish fivers which they wont touch.

thebigfella

Quote from: Rois on January 21, 2009, 09:14:40 AM
On that theme, I am getting fed up with ramps that are too high for my car to go over.  There's one in my development, if I don't have the right acceleration going over it, the bottom of the car whacks off it.  Surely there's some maximum height for ramps or minimum height for car undercarriages or whatever??

Maximum height allowed for ramp is 100mm. Quite a few councils in England have had legal challenges about their ramps being too high and had to lower them.

No minimum ride height for road cars. Racing cars are different due to lowering centre of gravity, ground effect aerodynamics ect..... Regulations are there to stop cars from be dangerously low and bottoming out.  Might as well forget about that 200 grand supercar, you'll never get it into your development.

Hardy

The wiliest man in Ireland. Aaaaarrrrrrrgh.

Rois

Quote from: thebigfella on January 21, 2009, 10:19:47 AM

Maximum height allowed for ramp is 100mm. Quite a few councils in England have had legal challenges about their ramps being too high and had to lower them.

No minimum ride height for road cars. Racing cars are different due to lowering centre of gravity, ground effect aerodynamics ect..... Regulations are there to stop cars from be dangerously low and bottoming out.  Might as well forget about that 200 grand supercar, you'll never get it into your development.

Oh I might get my ruler out then.  My car is incredibly low but those are the only ramps I have problems with if I go at them slowly. 

pintsofguinness

Maddog
Rarely have a problem round Birmingham anymore with that. Any of the supermarkets seemed to have a bit of training on it now, if its says sterling its good enough for them. The exception are Scottish fivers which they wont touch.
I've tried educating them in tesco but they dont listen!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Minder

Charles De Gaulle airport Paris, what a shithole.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Gnevin

The insurance ads before Sci-fi on sky. The one with the guy with no top on talking pure balls
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ziggysego

Quote from: Minder on January 21, 2009, 08:48:53 PM

Was in it once, in the middle of the night. Hateful place.
Testing Accessibility

Minder

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on January 21, 2009, 09:44:14 PM
Quote from: Minder on January 21, 2009, 08:48:53 PM

Pourquoi?

Was in it yesterday for 4 hours, hardly any seats. Maybe the fact that i was tired and wanted to get home and my two year old daughter was running amok might have had something to do with it. It was like being in a foreign country...............
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Fear ón Srath Bán

Never spent a lot of time in it, always just passing through. Not the worst of airports I've been in, and probably slightly more structured and ordered than Heathrow, though that's the best I coiuld say about it.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Hardy

I love the bouncy walkways they have there. All our footpaths should be like that.

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 20, 2009, 10:32:07 PM
Having a bank of Ireland 10 pound note I can't get rid of, the self service checkout in tesco won't even take it.  ffs!

I'll post you over a bank of England fiver for it...
Depends where you are if they will take it or not..I have been in Liverpool 5-6 times over the last 2 years and have never had any problems..
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: Square Ball on January 09, 2009, 06:51:50 PM
Quote from: The Watcher Pat on January 09, 2009, 06:46:15 PM
When you get on to a bus with a £20 note and the driver says he cant take you as he's no change...Not my problem...get some....

I have been told that he cant ask you to get off, he is supposed to give you some sort of ticket to allow you as a good citizen to go and pay for it.

Just recieved a 1 day freedom of NI ticket because i complained about this.. Not bad for a £1.50 fare...
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME