NFL Division 1 - 2020

Started by thejuice, January 07, 2020, 12:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Murphy's disallowed point looked a fairly clear square ball to me. Just surprised it took so long to call it back.

greatpoint

Quote from: Main Street on February 10, 2020, 04:58:35 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on February 10, 2020, 02:00:06 PM
Quote from: Main Street on February 10, 2020, 01:48:48 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on February 10, 2020, 01:07:45 PM
Quote from: Main Street on February 10, 2020, 12:21:14 PM
I was surprised by just how much Donegal spent waffling latterly both directions with the ball for 10 or 15 minutes  when they desperately needed two points.  In contrast Tyrone engineered an execution, a brilliant mark and point scored by McCurry, who probably woke up this morning still grinning widely.

Donegal engineered at least three scoring opportunities at the end of the game by recycling patiently. One was scored (then disallowed) and Murphy should really have scored that free at the end to level it.
Recycycling patiently or endlessly passing the ball along the lateral path going nowhere for 15 minutes?
That free slightly inside the lateral path was a foul on McHugh but cheaply conceded, but that was only a chance to  level the game at  the death.
We'll see how that tactic works against Monaghan and Tyrone, from a Monaghan perspective I'm glad we're shod of it.

And what about the disallowed point before that and the other free they missed? You were comparing Tyrone working an opportunity for a score to Donegal's approach. My point is that Donegal engineered three scoring opportunities while they were a point down at the end of the game, they just didn't score any (well one was disallowed.)

Do you think for some reason they are the only team that recycle the ball laterally to draw out a packed defence?
It didn't work and looked aimlesss. Only team or not the only team is besides the point, but hey it's your county or your county's tactic.
This is coming from a reformed lateral.

I don't think you're capable of understanding this.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: J70 on February 10, 2020, 08:30:54 PM
Murphy's disallowed point looked a fairly clear square ball to me. Just surprised it took so long to call it back.

Yeah looked like a square ball straight away.

Main Street

Quote from: greatpoint on February 10, 2020, 08:45:34 PM
I was surprised by just how much Donegal spent waffling latterly both directions with the ball for 10 or 15 minutes  when they desperately needed two points.  In contrast Tyrone engineered an execution, a brilliant mark and point scored by McCurry, who probably woke up this morning still grinning widely.

Donegal engineered at least three scoring opportunities at the end of the game by recycling patiently. One was scored (then disallowed) and Murphy should really have scored that free at the end to level it.
Recycycling patiently or endlessly passing the ball along the lateral path going nowhere for 15 minutes?
That free slightly inside the lateral path was a foul on McHugh but cheaply conceded, but that was only a chance to  level the game at  the death.
We'll see how that tactic works against Monaghan and Tyrone, from a Monaghan perspective I'm glad we're shod of it.

And what about the disallowed point before that and the other free they missed? You were comparing Tyrone working an opportunity for a score to Donegal's approach. My point is that Donegal engineered three scoring opportunities while they were a point down at the end of the game, they just didn't score any (well one was disallowed.)

Do you think for some reason they are the only team that recycle the ball laterally to draw out a packed defence?
It didn't work and looked aimlesss. Only team or not the only team is besides the point, but hey it's your county or your county's tactic.

Yeah ::)  You sound like a nice condescending smug chap.
I've been watching Monaghan play it for years and v Donegal on what feels like umpteen occasions.
I have a fairly good appreciation of Donegal's lateral patient possession game.
See how it goes against Tyrone and Monaghan.

lenny

While Cliffords red card was disgraceful arguably the worst decision of the weekend went almost unnoticed. Meath should have had a penalty in the first half when they were denied a goal by a blatant foot block by I think O'connor. RTE didn't even show a replay of the incident but I'd recorded it and it's actually a blatant and dangerous foot block.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 10, 2020, 06:35:13 PM

Just on the subject of Daly, listening to Anthony Moyles on OTB AM this morning, he had clearly only watched the highlights on TV last night and basically from the one clip of the 2nd Donegal goal formed the opinion that "Galway have issues at 6" when nothing could be further from the truth.
It's absolutely laughable that GAA pundits continue to spoof away with these guessed generalities, ex-players should know vastly more than the punters in the stands and it's this insight and accumulated knowledge that we want to hear, just say you didn't see the match fully and provide the analysis on the games that you did. In contrast I did note from Aidan O'Rourke's coaching column for RTE that he highlighted Galway's "scramble defence" as not good enough throughout the Kerry match and especially for the last two Kerry scores that clinched it. He outlined John Daly's slow reaction to the developing attacks for both scores, having watched it back I think it's harsh to pin the blame with Daly (particularly for Spillane's point) but at least there's a solid analysis made to back up the critique, more of that please.

100% agree with this, it's ridiculous at this time of year. There's only 2 or 3 games televised each weekend so fair enough that pundits won't have seen every game, but they should stop analysing teams as if they have. For the Sunday Game at the weekend just past Pat Spillane and Ciaran Whelan were standing on the pitch directly after the Meath Mayo game supposedly providing analysis on other games that had literally just finished all across the country. They obviously hadn't seen the games and I'd be surprised if they had even seen much highlights. So Pat was spouting general platitudes such as 'Galway are really playing with the shackles off under Joyce'.

Another example is Eoin Sheehan on OTBAM last week, when analysing Tyrone he said they were the only team still playing puke football. How he came to this conclusion when neither of Tyrone's first two league games had been televised I don't know. Had he been at either, particularly the Meath game, he would know Tyrone have actually been experimenting with pushing up on teams more aggressively and have been wide open in defence at times as a result.

MayoBuck

Quote from: lenny on February 11, 2020, 07:06:15 AM
While Cliffords red card was disgraceful arguably the worst decision of the weekend went almost unnoticed. Meath should have had a penalty in the first half when they were denied a goal by a blatant foot block by I think O'connor. RTE didn't even show a replay of the incident but I'd recorded it and it's actually a blatant and dangerous foot block.

The Meath player never actually kicked the ball so it wasn't a foot block.

Tubberman

Quote from: MayoBuck on February 11, 2020, 10:04:27 AM

Correct - DOC kicked it away before the Meath player got to it. Great piece of last-ditch defending.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

macdanger2

Quote from: Tubberman on February 11, 2020, 10:39:19 AM

Correct - DOC kicked it away before the Meath player got to it. Great piece of last-ditch defending.

I didn't think it was a foot block either but I thought it was a penalty as (I think) you can't kick the ball while another player is in possession of it?

blast05

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 11, 2020, 11:10:54 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on February 11, 2020, 10:39:19 AM

I didn't think it was a foot block either but I thought it was a penalty as (I think) you can't kick the ball while another player is in possession of it?

Are you in possession of the ball if you have dropped the ball out of your hands with the intent of kicking it ..... but the ball never reaches your foot because opposing player kicks it away ?

Maroon Manc

Great summary as usual from AFA. I was delighted to see Sean Kelly start at corner back, mentioned it on here previously that I thought he'd be good in that role and he didn't let us down; He was excellent defensively and popped up with a brilliant goal.  Heaney had his hands full with Jamie Brennan and he struggled at times marking him but in fairness he won't be marking too many like Brennan throughout the year, as usual Heaney is the man you'd want going through on goal.

Kicckouts continue to be a problem and will need serious work between league and championship, Galway did well on Paton's kickouts but the wind likely played its part though; Comer made a difference second half and got his hands on every ball that come his way.

I thought O'Donnell had a poor first half, kicked the ball away on several occasions. Perhaps I'm been very harsh but I think on a summer days on a good pitch his lack of speed of the mark will come back to haunt us. Steede was anonymous, not sure how many more chances he'll get and D'Arcy will have to do more to keep himself in the team. Cooke is a big loss especially given the way Galway are playing. Boyle extremely lucky to stay on, PJ must see something in him but we've yet to see it yet. I liked that 2nd point Finnerty kicked, he didn't need much space to get his shot away; I still think he's got a bit of developing to do physically.

Walsh is just a joy to watch, lets hope he keeps this up as there's only a few players who can match him for talent.

greatpoint

Quote from: Main Street on February 10, 2020, 10:05:32 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on February 10, 2020, 08:45:34 PM

Yeah ::)  You sound like a nice condescending smug chap.
I've been watching Monaghan play it for years and v Donegal on what feels like umpteen occasions.
I have a fairly good appreciation of Donegal's lateral patient possession game.
See how it goes against Tyrone and Monaghan.

I couldn't care less about how it goes against Tyrone and Monaghan. You're missing the point, not reading what I have said, and repeating yourself. I don't think you possess the insight to discuss it in detail.

joemamas

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on February 11, 2020, 09:38:22 AM

Just on the subject of Daly, listening to Anthony Moyles on OTB AM this morning, he had clearly only watched the highlights on TV last night and basically from the one clip of the 2nd Donegal goal formed the opinion that "Galway have issues at 6" when nothing could be further from the truth.
It's absolutely laughable that GAA pundits continue to spoof away with these guessed generalities, ex-players should know vastly more than the punters in the stands and it's this insight and accumulated knowledge that we want to hear, just say you didn't see the match fully and provide the analysis on the games that you did. In contrast I did note from Aidan O'Rourke's coaching column for RTE that he highlighted Galway's "scramble defence" as not good enough throughout the Kerry match and especially for the last two Kerry scores that clinched it. He outlined John Daly's slow reaction to the developing attacks for both scores, having watched it back I think it's harsh to pin the blame with Daly (particularly for Spillane's point) but at least there's a solid analysis made to back up the critique, more of that please.

100% agree with this, it's ridiculous at this time of year. There's only 2 or 3 games televised each weekend so fair enough that pundits won't have seen every game, but they should stop analysing teams as if they have. For the Sunday Game at the weekend just past Pat Spillane and Ciaran Whelan were standing on the pitch directly after the Meath Mayo game supposedly providing analysis on other games that had literally just finished all across the country. They obviously hadn't seen the games and I'd be surprised if they had even seen much highlights. So Pat was spouting general platitudes such as 'Galway are really playing with the shackles off under Joyce'.

Another example is Eoin Sheehan on OTBAM last week, when analysing Tyrone he said they were the only team still playing puke football. How he came to this conclusion when neither of Tyrone's first two league games had been televised I don't know. Had he been at either, particularly the Meath game, he would know Tyrone have actually been experimenting with pushing up on teams more aggressively and have been wide open in defence at times as a result.

So Pat was spouting general platitudes such as 'Galway are really playing with the shackles off under Joyce'.

Pat has been basically collecting a check for the last number of years from RTE and whoever else still buys in to his cliches.
He is beyond poor, laughable even. I put more effort into homework in junior infants.

He desperately needs a certain number of soundbites, irrespective of context, relevance or value add.
A blatent example of this was last year, after a leinster championship or qualifier game, some poor players father passed away the week of the game,
Ciaran Whelan was doing a good job providing a fairly detailed analysis of the game, The bold Pat, cuts him off mid analysis- mid-sentence, and declares " I just want to say it was a credit to X playing today after his father passing. Ciaran Whelan looked at him as if to say ( "WTF, you couldnt have waited 30 seconds to say that).

Main Street

Quote from: joemamas on February 11, 2020, 01:51:53 PM
Quote from: bigpackiechestout on February 11, 2020, 09:38:22 AM

So Pat was spouting general platitudes such as 'Galway are really playing with the shackles off under Joyce'.

Pat has been basically collecting a check for the last number of years from RTE and whoever else still buys in to his cliches.
He is beyond poor, laughable even. I put more effort into homework in junior infants.

He desperately needs a certain number of soundbites, irrespective of context, relevance or value add.
A blatent example of this was last year, after a leinster championship or qualifier game, some poor players father passed away the week of the game,
Ciaran Whelan was doing a good job providing a fairly detailed analysis of the game, The bold Pat, cuts him off mid analysis- mid-sentence, and declares " I just want to say it was a credit to X playing today after his father passing. Ciaran Whelan looked at him as if to say ( "WTF, you couldnt have waited 30 seconds to say that).
On their pitchside cameo, I found it more interesting to watch a chilled out and grinning Ciaran in the background while Pat was speaking.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 11, 2020, 11:21:08 AM
Great summary as usual from AFA. I was delighted to see Sean Kelly start at corner back, mentioned it on here previously that I thought he'd be good in that role and he didn't let us down; He was excellent defensively and popped up with a brilliant goal.  Heaney had his hands full with Jamie Brennan and he struggled at times marking him but in fairness he won't be marking too many like Brennan throughout the year, as usual Heaney is the man you'd want going through on goal.

Kicckouts continue to be a problem and will need serious work between league and championship, Galway did well on Paton's kickouts but the wind likely played its part though; Comer made a difference second half and got his hands on every ball that come his way.

I thought O'Donnell had a poor first half, kicked the ball away on several occasions. Perhaps I'm been very harsh but I think on a summer days on a good pitch his lack of speed of the mark will come back to haunt us. Steede was anonymous, not sure how many more chances he'll get and D'Arcy will have to do more to keep himself in the team. Cooke is a big loss especially given the way Galway are playing. Boyle extremely lucky to stay on, PJ must see something in him but we've yet to see it yet. I liked that 2nd point Finnerty kicked, he didn't need much space to get his shot away; I still think he's got a bit of developing to do physically.

Walsh is just a joy to watch, lets hope he keeps this up as there's only a few players who can match him for talent.

What's going on here? Man was immense during the club series - doesn't seem like a lack of talent.