RTE on FREEVIEW

Started by Hereiam, September 19, 2009, 11:45:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hereiam

Strange things going on with RTE on freeview. This is the second time that it has appeared on my TV. I thought you couldn't get it on freeview. The last time it appeared it was only on for 2 days and disappeared. Would be great if it stayed for the final tomorrow as the picture is fat better than the normal aerial. Anyone shed any light on this as to what is going on. Do you get RTE on freeview?

Hereiam

Jesus not one answer to this. Anyone alive out there

ziggysego

No, you don't get RTE on Freeview. They are currently testing out the digital signal for the south, which sometimes leaks over here. However they are two different formats, so it'll never been shown here.

Fionn knows the ins and outs of it better than I can ever explain. If you do a search here, you'll see a more detailed answer.
Testing Accessibility

mick999

RTE are doing tests at the moment of their new DTT broadcasts ...
Nothing guaranteed but seems to be available in most areas.

You will need a TV or box which is capable of decoding MPEG4 streams ... 
The UK freeview is a different standard MPEG2 , but some of the newer TVs can now decode both types ...
If you are receiving RTE, then I guess that your TV can decode MPEG4 ..

Lots of discussion on it here :http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055350262&page=30
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055420793&page=30

peterquaife

i live close to the border and have had rte 1, 2, tv3 and tg4 as channels 1,2, 3 and 4 for a couple of months. this happened after i scanned for channels. bbc1, 2, itv and channel 4 are now on channels 800, 801, 802 and 803.

as one poster mentioned, the quality of the picture is much better, but i run the freeview through BT vision and cannot record from rte

ziggysego

What's BT Vision like Peter?
Testing Accessibility

Hereiam

That would explain the short spell it stays on. The picture for the all ireland was top class yesterday just a pity about the result. Thanks

Sandino

I did a scan at the weekend and I can get the audio for a number of RTE stations but no picture. I was suprised to even get the audio as my freeview is from a very old set top box. Does this mean I might get a picture in the future or does this mean I will not get a picture in the future.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

ziggysego

Quote from: Sandino on September 21, 2009, 01:06:46 PM
I did a scan at the weekend and I can get the audio for a number of RTE stations but no picture. I was suprised to even get the audio as my freeview is from a very old set top box. Does this mean I might get a picture in the future or does this mean I will not get a picture in the future.

You won't get it in the future then. That's what I get.
Testing Accessibility

peterquaife

Quote from: ziggysego on September 21, 2009, 12:39:45 PM

its OK, has its moments. The facilty to record, much like Sky + is great. You have a tonne of movies on demand, some free, or you can pay up to £3.50 for a newer release.

I added it on to the broadband i had. We have the basic freeview channels, espn (11 quid for the card, free after), the movie and the kids addon (for junior). With the 8mb broadband, line rental, add-ons the paying for the odd movie, its not a clink off £50 a month to be honest.

Looked into Virgin media, but i cannot get the digital side in my location.

peterquaife

Quote from: Hereiam on September 21, 2009, 12:43:07 PM
That would explain the short spell it stays on. The picture for the all ireland was top class yesterday just a pity about the result. Thanks

it was almost like watching HD in comparison to the analogue feed.

ziggysego

Quote from: peterquaife on September 21, 2009, 01:09:13 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on September 21, 2009, 12:39:45 PM

its OK, has its moments. The facilty to record, much like Sky + is great. You have a tonne of movies on demand, some free, or you can pay up to £3.50 for a newer release.

I added it on to the broadband i had. We have the basic freeview channels, espn (11 quid for the card, free after), the movie and the kids addon (for junior). With the 8mb broadband, line rental, add-ons the paying for the odd movie, its not a clink off £50 a month to be honest.

Looked into Virgin media, but i cannot get the digital side in my location.

I've got Freeview and Freesat, but want to add to it around Christmas when there is special offers. Tossing up between BT Vision and Sky HD. Want to get Setanta Ireland for when the NFL starts again in the New Year.
Testing Accessibility

Feckitt

Analogue TV is due to end in a year or two, so everyone will be on Digital.  Does that mean that no-one in the North will be able to get RTE, surely that cannot be right.  I need to get a digibox of some sort, as I cannot get RTE or TG4.  You cannot be serious that none of them include RTE.  What are our politicians doing about this?

lfdown2

the story was afaik that you would only be able to get rte etc through sky or the likes

Bensars

This has been going on for some time.

However the problem is that the reception/frequency only last for short periods of time. If you do another search it will totally ignore the RTE's etc. The picture quality is excellent but i found that it stalls/jumps quite frequently.