Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 05, 2015, 06:37:26 PM
Quote from: Hardy on June 05, 2015, 06:24:31 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on June 05, 2015, 04:08:22 PM
Quote from: Hardy on June 05, 2015, 11:25:17 AM

Quote from: armaghniac on June 05, 2015, 10:57:32 AM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 05, 2015, 10:50:07 AM
I wonder will Louth County Board be on the blower now to the Leinster Council re the 'referee mistake' in 2010?

I believe a plan for 3000 seater Dermot O'Brien stadium will emerge. This will have a silver roof and will be built on a hill overlooking the Boyne so that it can be seen throughout Meath.

Zey have ask, "Can't we have a replay?" (Laughter.) Ya. Ha ha. Zey have ask for zat. Really.

(Actually they never did, but the majority of gaeldom will swear they did. That's how legend trumps fact. Sure practically 100% of GAA people think John McDermott injured Peter Canavan.)

Wasn't a referee mistake in 2010, Im pretty sure he done it on purpose

Who injured Peter Canavan in 96?

See what I mean?

No

Who injured Peter Canavan in 96

Why don't you go and find out whether anybody injured him?

omaghjoe

Quote from: Hardy on June 05, 2015, 06:51:00 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on June 05, 2015, 06:37:26 PM
Quote from: Hardy on June 05, 2015, 06:24:31 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on June 05, 2015, 04:08:22 PM
Quote from: Hardy on June 05, 2015, 11:25:17 AM

Quote from: armaghniac on June 05, 2015, 10:57:32 AM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 05, 2015, 10:50:07 AM
I wonder will Louth County Board be on the blower now to the Leinster Council re the 'referee mistake' in 2010?

I believe a plan for 3000 seater Dermot O'Brien stadium will emerge. This will have a silver roof and will be built on a hill overlooking the Boyne so that it can be seen throughout Meath.

Zey have ask, "Can't we have a replay?" (Laughter.) Ya. Ha ha. Zey have ask for zat. Really.

(Actually they never did, but the majority of gaeldom will swear they did. That's how legend trumps fact. Sure practically 100% of GAA people think John McDermott injured Peter Canavan.)

Wasn't a referee mistake in 2010, Im pretty sure he done it on purpose

See what I mean?

No

Who injured Peter Canavan in 96

Why don't you go and find out whether anybody injured him?

That's what I am trying to do... and since you seem to know I am asking you

so....

Hardy

Sorry - I didn't mean to be tetchy.

Nobody injured him. He injured himself by twisting his ankle when he got his standing toe stuck in the turf in the course of scoring a point. I don't mean to go all Tyronie by dredging up events of a generation ago. Though I do particularly enjoy my memories of possibly our second-best ever performance. I just think it's a particularly good example of the triumph of legend over fact. I'm willing to bet over 90% of football fans believe John McDermott took him out.

(Sorry for the thread diversion. I'd be sorrier if it wan't a soccer thread, though.)

muppet

Imagine that Delaney is correct.

Imagine then, that a missed call by a referee, has a strong legal basis for a court action against the sporting authority responsible. Remember Henry's handball created a winner, if it hadn't happened we would have probably had a penalty shoot-out. There is absolutely no legal argument that we would definitely have gone on to qualify for the World Cup if the goal had been disallowed. So Delaney's case is that we were denied the chance to qualify for South Africa. That fact that a total 210 minutes of football was played, where we had that very chance throughout, would appear to me to water down the argument that one error cost us our chance.

Regardless though, is it the FAI position that any contentious decision in the League of Ireland, that could be seen to cost a team their chance at success, would see the FAI as being liable for the potential loss of prize-money, attendances, sponsorship etc? Is that what Delaney is really saying?

MWWSI 2017

omaghjoe

Quote from: Hardy on June 05, 2015, 08:18:51 PM

Nobody injured him. He injured himself by twisting his ankle when he got his standing toe stuck in the turf in the course of scoring a point. I don't mean to go all Tyronie by dredging up events of a generation ago. Though I do particularly enjoy my memories of possibly our second-best ever performance. I just think it's a particularly good example of the triumph of legend over fact. I'm willing to bet over 90% of football fans believe John McDermott took him out.

(Sorry for the thread diversion. I'd be sorrier if it wan't a soccer thread, though.)

And the late tackle that twisted his body away from his standing foot had no contribution to his injury?

muppet

Those you us who found the whole 'please, please let us go to South Africa' sh*te embarrassing are about to enter Groundhog Day. I expect more of the same stupid FaceBook and twitter nonsense from people who never interact with sport unless it is via a bandwagon.

http://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/fai-statement-050615

This is the latest spin:

*    On November 30 2009, during a press conference, Sepp Blatter made a joke of the Association's request to be the 33rd team at the World Cup. This was in direct breach of agreed confidentiality and subsequently brought reputational damage to the FAI.

So the money was because of Blatter's 'joke' and breach of confidentiality. This is even bigger bollox than the previous position.

Especially considering this is how easy it is to get out of confidentiality according to the FAI:

This action is being taken because FIFA has confirmed the transaction. As such, it is the view of the FAI Board who met today, that they are no longer obliged to abide by the confidentiality agreement with FIFA.
MWWSI 2017

Hardy

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 05, 2015, 08:44:10 PM

And the late tackle that twisted his body away from his standing foot had no contribution to his injury?

There was no tackle. There was no contact other than McDermott's tripping over the falling Canavan.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Hardy on June 05, 2015, 10:27:52 PM

There was no tackle. There was no contact other than McDermott's tripping over the falling Canavan.

So at what stage in the course of events would this photo have been taken?

From the Bunker

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=197454

Hardy

1. Still photographs are not acceptable evidence of anything other than the presence if the protagonists.

2. Even if they were, where's the contact in that pic?

Look, do you think I would be making categorical statements here if I wasn't sure of the facts? Check out the video. There's no contact. There might have been intent. My own opinion is that Peter was wide open and John would have creamed him - legitimately if he'd connected properly or illegally if he'd connected with Peter's front. But it doesn't matter, because he missed.

My only point is  to illustrate that myth and legend completely overwhelm facts.The facts of this case have absolutely no bearing on the universally accepted myth that McDermott took Canavan out of that game.

Hardy

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 05, 2015, 10:38:36 PM

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=197454

Check the video. There is no contact. Canavan leans back and McDermott misses him. I can't offer an opinion as to why he would say otherwise.

laoislad

What has any of this nonsense got to do with FIFA Corruption.?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AZOffaly

They gave Tyrone Mickey Harte to make them shut up.

Hardy

Quote from: laoislad on June 05, 2015, 10:53:51 PM
What has any of this nonsense got to do with FIFA Corruption.?

Nothing.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Hardy on June 05, 2015, 10:46:32 PM
1. Still photographs are not acceptable evidence of anything other than the presence if the protagonists.

2. Even if they were, where's the contact in that pic?

Look, do you think I would be making categorical statements here if I wasn't sure of the facts? Check out the video. There's no contact. There might have been intent. My own opinion is that Peter was wide open and John would have creamed him - legitimately if he'd connected properly or illegally if he'd connected with Peter's front. But it doesn't matter, because he missed.

My only point is  to illustrate that myth and legend completely overwhelm facts.The facts of this case have absolutely no bearing on the universally accepted myth that McDermott took Canavan out of that game.

Listen Hardy I am not disputing what you are saying i was just looking for evidence of what happened and uncovered that photo. And was interested because it looks like McDermott is about to blindside him and that Canavans foot doesn't look planted so I was wondering where in the course of events you thought that the photo might have taken place.

If you have other evidence please present it so we can check it out and then we can all be sure about the facts.