Fermanagh v Armagh Brewster Pk Sat 19th May 7:00pm

Started by illdecide, May 10, 2018, 09:08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dubh driocht

Quote from: sid waddell on May 19, 2018, 11:22:54 PM
Bad evening for Ard Mocha.

Armagh supporters thought success would be instant when Geezer took over but they need to wake up and smell the coffee. They mistakenly thought the players would be full of beans once they reached the ground in Enniskillen today, and there could now be trouble brewing after the team's roasting.

There was never going to be a latte comeback this evening without their Americano.

It was a flat (orange and) white performance - one could even say it was crappuccino - they were made mugs of, and there will be no cups heading to the Orchard county this year. But hopefully supporters of other counties will refrain from indulging in some Orange Mocha-ing.

For Fermanagh supporters however, if they could finally win the Ulster title this year it would be very much a case of Au Lait, Au Lait, Au Lait.

Clever Sid. More entertaining than the game.
For the first time in my life I actually felt sorry for Armagh as, like ourselves, they are a proud and passionate county who are pretty poor at present. To keep some balance they have gone up to Division 2 while we are heading in the other direction.
However, it make me smile to read Armagh posters complaining about cynicism and gamesmanship. That's the problem with bringing negative innovations into what should be a fair and honest amateur sporting contest where the best 15 players win. Some other crowd get so pissed off with being caught out that they take on your tactics, get better at it and it becomes a race to the bottom.

Throw ball

Quote from: Dubh driocht on May 20, 2018, 09:55:56 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on May 19, 2018, 11:22:54 PM
Bad evening for Ard Mocha.

Armagh supporters thought success would be instant when Geezer took over but they need to wake up and smell the coffee. They mistakenly thought the players would be full of beans once they reached the ground in Enniskillen today, and there could now be trouble brewing after the team's roasting.

There was never going to be a latte comeback this evening without their Americano.

It was a flat (orange and) white performance - one could even say it was crappuccino - they were made mugs of, and there will be no cups heading to the Orchard county this year. But hopefully supporters of other counties will refrain from indulging in some Orange Mocha-ing.

For Fermanagh supporters however, if they could finally win the Ulster title this year it would be very much a case of Au Lait, Au Lait, Au Lait.

Clever Sid. More entertaining than the game.
For the first time in my life I actually felt sorry for Armagh as, like ourselves, they are a proud and passionate county who are pretty poor at present. To keep some balance they have gone up to Division 2 while we are heading in the other direction.
However, it make me smile to read Armagh posters complaining about cynicism and gamesmanship. That's the problem with bringing negative innovations into what should be a fair and honest amateur sporting contest where the best 15 players win. Some other crowd get so pissed off with being caught out that they take on your tactics, get better at it and it becomes a race to the bottom.

While I will undoubtedly disagree with your assessment no matter were this started something has to be done about it. The super 8 was introduced for money IMHO and these tactics are driving supporters away in their droves. Something needs to be done.

keeperlit

Quote from: tonto1888 on May 20, 2018, 09:51:05 AM
Quote from: Throw ball on May 20, 2018, 09:48:40 AM
Quote from: keeperlit on May 20, 2018, 09:39:27 AM
[quote author=Erne Man link=topic=28631.msg1808827#msg1808827 date=15 Didn't see what happened re the sending off, but I thought McGeeney was going to clock young Grimley when he came off - so I can only assume what he did was daft.

Should not have been in the field to get sent off as management  should have had grimly subbed after about 20 mins into first half. Was having a stinker.

You aren't allowed to make 15 substitutions and there were quite a few worse than him. If Armagh are to progress they need to find more players like him. One rash moment and people would lynch a fella. If Dublin had taken that route in 2003 when Cluxton kicked McDonnell they may not have as many All Ireland's.

Agree with this. Grimley was far from the worst up until his red.
[/quote]
Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to lynch the fella. My perception from watching the match was that Niall was having a poor game and that a few Fermanagh scores came directly from him and was not generally involved in the game at all. Sometimes this happens to players on any given day. Could be wrong but would need to watch it again. Agree that you could have subbed any amount of boys but some of the substitutions were baffling to say the least.

Rufus T Firefly

From my own point of view, my intention to referencing the cynicism of Fermanagh was simply to present it as an observation on my part - not a complaint. Armagh last night have too many concerns of our own to worry about what others do.

Our great team of the noughties had a reputation for cynicism, but my feeling would be it was not for trash talking or feigning injury, or indeed disrupting the opposition kick-outs by pinging a second football onto the pitch. Maybe others will disagree and point to some specific incident from 2007 that totally undermines what I said. Ho hum.

To be fair, probably the biggest insult you delivered - and I'm sure it was not your intention to do so - was to say as a Down man that you feel sorry for us!! Some may feel that that really represents the nadir.   :)

Orior

If Armagh had converted half of their wide tally then they could have won. We could've achieved that easily with Oisin O'Neill or Jamie Clarke on the pitch, picking off balls laid off by Murnin.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

StGallsGAA

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 20, 2018, 10:27:36 AM

From my own point of view, my intention to referencing the cynicism of Fermanagh was simply to present it as an observation on my part - not a complaint. Armagh last night have too many concerns of our own to worry about what others do.

Our great team of the noughties had a reputation for cynicism, but my feeling would be it was not for trash talking or feigning injury, or indeed disrupting the opposition kick-outs by pinging a second football onto the pitch. Maybe others will disagree and point to some specific incident from 2007 that totally undermines what I said. Ho hum.

To be fair, probably the biggest insult you delivered - and I'm sure it was not your intention to do so - was to say as a Down man that you feel sorry for us!! Some may feel that that really represents the nadir.   :)

Fermanagh easily the better side. Could've won by more. Sending off correct too.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: StGallsGAA on May 20, 2018, 10:49:10 AM
Fermanagh easily the better side. Could've won by more. Sending off correct too.

Agree with all of that.

ONeill

Armagh have been playing division 3 football for two years. You're expecting too much. If the talent was there, that wouldn't have happened. Armagh have played 14 division 3 games in 2 years and won 9 of them.

That 2014 side which knocked Tyrone out was the last decent outfit. You had two Kernans, Clarke and Mallon.

It's just a dip in the talent pool, systems or none.

And it's fcukin glorious.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: ONeill on May 20, 2018, 10:56:55 AM

;D

Just words Shane - I honestly believe your heart isn't in it to the same extent as yesteryear.

armaghniac

Armagh might have been playing Div 3, but so have Fermanagh. So that is no defence for yesterday's performance.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: ONeill on May 20, 2018, 10:56:55 AM
Armagh have been playing division 3 football for two years. You're expecting too much. If the talent was there, that wouldn't have happened. Armagh have played 14 division 3 games in 2 years and won 9 of them.

That 2014 side which knocked Tyrone out was the last decent outfit. You had two Kernans, Clarke and Mallon.

It's just a dip in the talent pool, systems or none.

Schadenfreude is lovely but it doesn't win all Irelands. Neither does groupthink.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/no-one-knows-where-tyrone-are-at-sean-cavanagh-hoping-to-see-impact-of-stephen-oneill-in-red-hand-attack-36915715.html
"Mickey's certainly the boss," Cavanagh responds when asked whether players have an input in team meetings. "No, no, you don't stand up, no. Mickey's very single-minded in his approach and I think anyone who knows him (feels the same)."

Cavanagh details "quite an autocratic style" of leadership during Harte's lengthy reign and doubts whether Tyrone will adopt a more attacking approach against Monaghan following their harrowing All-Ireland SFC semi-final loss to Dublin last August.

Would he have sacrificed an Ulster title to play more expansive football?

"It's easy to say it now but at the time, genuinely, and this is the big thing, when you're an inter-county footballer, and Mickey is a very convincing manager as well, whenever you're in that zone, you think nothing else but what Mickey is telling you.

"It's only on reflection afterwards that you realise that you would have liked maybe to try something different. At the time I was 100pc convinced that we'd win an All-Ireland last year.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Owen Brannigan

The behaviour yesterday from Fermanagh was no surprise given that McMenamin is in the management team.  it would have been poor enough with Gallagher in charge but McMenamin bring things to another level, to that previously was the preserve of his Tyrone teams.

In general the squad from 1999 to 2008 played a hard game and while blocking off the running player was a tactic and not against any rule, the players with the possible exception of Marty O'Rourke didn't bother with the trash talk that was so evident yesterday from the Fermanagh team.  They have taken the feigning of injury to a level that Tyrone have set since 2003.  While Grimley was stupid in swinging his arm, Quigley, who has serious form for cheating, fell to the ground instantly holding his face. 

FermGael

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 20, 2018, 11:36:05 AM

The behaviour yesterday from Fermanagh was no surprise given that McMenamin is in the management team.  it would have been poor enough with Gallagher in charge but McMenamin bring things to another level, to that previously was the preserve of his Tyrone teams.

In general the squad from 1999 to 2008 played a hard game and while blocking off the running player was a tactic and not against any rule, the players with the possible exception of Marty O'Rourke didn't bother with the trash talk that was so evident yesterday from the Fermanagh team.  They have taken the feigning of injury to a level that Tyrone have set since 2003.  While Grimley was stupid in swinging his arm, Quigley, who has serious form for cheating, fell to the ground instantly holding his face. 

Owen you need to take the orange glasses off.
The 'treatment' that both Quigley brothers got yesterday was very noticeable.
I watched it and they didn't react.
Daniel Teague came off the bench and was immediately subject to the same 'treatment'.

Sean received a forearm in the face.  That's a red card.
The Armagh tackling was shocking.  Made it easy for the referee.
Armagh went out to be physical and try and bully Fermanagh.
Armagh didn't score from play after the 16th minute.
Armagh were completely cleaned around midfield as well.
That's why Armagh got beat. 

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Itchy

Quote from: FermGael on May 20, 2018, 11:47:58 AM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 20, 2018, 11:36:05 AM

Owen you need to take the orange glasses off.
The 'treatment' that both Quigley brothers got yesterday was very noticeable.
I watched it and they didn't react.
Daniel Teague came off the bench and was immediately subject to the same 'treatment'.

Sean received a forearm in the face.  That's a red card.
The Armagh tackling was shocking.  Made it easy for the referee.
Armagh went out to be physical and try and bully Fermanagh.
Armagh didn't score from play after the 16th minute.
Armagh were completely cleaned around midfield as well.
That's why Armagh got beat.

Armagh are always the victims.

naka

Quote from: Orior on May 20, 2018, 10:34:00 AM
If Armagh had converted half of their wide tally then they could have won. We could've achieved that easily with Oisin O'Neill or Jamie Clarke on the pitch, picking off balls laid off by Murnin.
Armagh were never winning that game.
Fermanagh did a number all over the pitch so deserved to win and maybe could have pushed on further.
Have to say no11 for fer managh a tasty player if he could shoot, he was excellent as a link player all evening.
No22 got himself involved in a lot of nasty stuff  in last couple of minutes and actually found myself hoping someone would chin him ,he didn't need to do it as game was over.