Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterEli

Quote from: Redhand Santa on December 04, 2019, 05:09:55 PM
There will still be issues but the fixtures should be less of a problem next year. As Tyrone aren't in the preliminary round in ulster next year, there is 7 weekends between the last round of NFL (assuming Tyrone don't make the final) and the first round game v Donegal. That should allow 6 league fixtures to be played.

If Tyrone lose that and enter the qualifiers there potentially wont be another Tyrone game until near the end of June allowing 3 more games to be played. Even if they win I think there is still another 1 or 2 slots in between county games to get matches played. There also isn't any u20 county matches during the summer next year so the majority of starred games can be saved for then.

If all goes to plan and fixtures done properly most if not all of the regular league games should be wrapped up pre championship next year. If Tyrone lose to Donegal in ulster there definitely won't be any excuses for them not to be.

With all this considered and a master fixture schedule released from the GAA with all weekends/dates known should it not be possible for our county board to do the same? Release a fixture planner, obviously, there would need to be different versions with possible outcomes but surely some sense of when games are going to be played is better than none for the club players.

Tyrone county master fixtures planner could look like:
A) Tyrone beaten in the first round of Ulster knocked out in super 8's or beaten in All-Ireland semi. 
B) Ulster champions knocked out in super 8's or beaten in All-Ireland semi.
C) Tyrone beaten in first round of Ulster, All-Ireland finalists.
D) Ulster champions, All-Ireland finalist.

4 different schedules are obviously a lot of work, but most weekends will overlap with only some tweaking involved. All Ireland semi-final is usually a week after super 8's so no need for different plans in place there.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 04, 2019, 04:50:48 PM
Quote from: trailer on December 04, 2019, 02:30:19 PM
Quote from: God14 on December 03, 2019, 01:49:13 PM
Quote from: The_Slug on December 03, 2019, 01:44:04 PM
Quote from: GlenMan on December 02, 2019, 10:30:45 PM

Martin Sludden up for Vice Chair/Chair of the CCC

Say what you want but I think he would be a good man to get in, he would actually try and get the fixtures situation sorted.

Agree with this, I hope it happens

You know what. If he fixes the fixtures then good luck to him.

I think the fixtures are largely unfixable unless fixed at National level.

There are exceptions. Reserve football might need decoupled from senior and the odd double fixture required.

Think the last roll of the dice for reserves is to make it a localised league. Otherwise it's over and we shouldn't underestimate the effect of a collapse of reserve football in the GAA.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 04, 2019, 04:50:48 PM

Say what you want but I think he would be a good man to get in, he would actually try and get the fixtures situation sorted.

I think the fixtures are largely unfixable unless fixed at National level.

There are exceptions. Reserve football might need decoupled from senior and the odd double fixture required.

I dont think there is any doubt that this needs to happen
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

southtyronegael

Harte in Irish news today reckons Dublin will be even better with new manager. " New managers and new setups always bring an injection of something to every team, and so imagine bringing an injection to Dublin, what they'd be like" the f**king irony of this. What a bollock.

Knock Yer Mucker In

Quote from: southtyronegael on December 06, 2019, 11:13:39 AM
Harte in Irish news today reckons Dublin will be even better with new manager. " New managers and new setups always bring an injection of something to every team, and so imagine bringing an injection to Dublin, what they'd be like" the f**king irony of this. What a bollock.

STG I think he did that deliberately knowing you would blow a head gasket  ;D ;D

trailer

The man has no shame.

Christmas Lights

He's done you up a kipper here mate

imtommygunn

Quote from: Christmas Lights on December 06, 2019, 11:42:21 AM

He's done you up a kipper here mate

;D

He whispered - this one is for STG and trailer after it I heard.

southtyronegael

Let's hope the county board quote that paragraph to harte when he getting the P45 next autumn.

trailer

I see Sludden was elected. Next up, a motion to ban anyone from Louth visiting Tyrone.

Pearse Blue

Quote from: trailer on December 11, 2019, 01:08:18 PM

I see Sludden was elected. Next up, a motion to ban anyone from Louth visiting Tyrone.
Wonder if Sludden is a Harte Bandwagoner, or has he a bit of sense?

GetOverTheBar

If Martin Sludden the County Board Elected Official is anything like Martin Sludden the referee, he won't give a sh**e about upsetting anyone, the word elected however means it'll be more of the same one suspects.

GetOverTheBar

Irish News, pick of Tyrone last 20 years.

TYRONE
Pascal McConnell
OF the 15 spots on the team, none has greater competition. But that's nothing new to Packie McConnell, whose whole career was spent battling with John Devine for the number one slot. They shared it back and forward from 2003 – when it was Devine's – through to Niall Morgan emerged in 2013. McConnell played in their other two finals and was just that fraction more distinctive in his shot-stopping.

Ryan McMenamin
HIS unmistakability always made McMenamin stand out from the crowd that little bit more. The hair, the beard, the wiryness. Mostly, though, you'd have recognised him because he was in the personal space of whomever he was sent to mark. Ricey was tireless in his duties, and the pace and energy he brought to the counter-attack all the way from corner-back was like a look into the future.

Cormac McAnallen
McANALLEN was shaping as a promising midfielder but as the 2003 campaign went on, Tyrone just couldn't scratch the itch they had at full-back. Mickey Harte called on the Eglish man to drop back after Down bombarded them with high ball in the drawn Ulster final. It had the ultimate transformative impact on their season as he collected an All-Ireland medal and an Allstar. Named captain for the following season before tragedy struck and robbed Tyrone football of one of its brightest lights.

Joe McMahon
BIG Joe was one of Mickey Harte's best, most reliable and most versatile soldiers. Won his two All-Irelands at full-back and yet rarely spent a day in between playing at number three. Going from scoring 1-1 against Dublin in the '08 quarter-final to teaming up with brother Justy and doing the famous Twin Towers job on Kieran Donaghy and Tommy Walsh was the ultimate display of his adaptability.

Mattie Donnelly
WITH the team being revamped after 2013, the Trillick man has been a mainstay of everything they've become since. As they became so proficient in the running game, Donnelly was at the heart of it. When they needed to find something different, they moved the two-time Allstar into the attack and he provided it. He's a brilliant sweeper but a far more effective man when Tyrone get him on the ball near goal. He gets in ahead of current team-mate Peter Harte.

Conor Gormley
SURE the block itself is enough to justify The Block himself, but in a way boiling his career down to even such a monumental moment in time undermines just how good Gormley was. Whether it was as an orthodox six, at full-back or as the sweeper, Gormley stood out a mile for his reading of the game and the bravery he brought to proceedings. There weren't too many ever got the better of the Carrickmore man, who won Allstars in all three All-Ireland winning years.

Philip Jordan
IN the discussion around the great wing-backs, Philip Jordan's career will stand up alongside any of them. He contributed 2-16 in championship games between 2003 and 2010, but while he was a good finisher, it was a lot more. The defensive side of his game wasn't always given its due credit, but it was often hidden by the shadow of his attacking abilities. Four Allstars made him the most decorated of all the Tyrone defenders from that era, which says it all.

Sean Cavanagh
COMING off the successful minor and under-21 teams, Cavanagh's introduction to the team was pivotal to Tyrone getting across the line in 2003. Went on to have a magnificent career that included five Allstars and the Footballer of the Year award as he led them to a third crown in '08. At his best coming from deep, bamboozling defenders with that trademark shimmy. Was still a leading light right up until retirement in 2017.

Colm Cavanagh
IT took him a long time to emerge from his brother's shadow but over the past few years, Colm Cavanagh has become Tyrone's ultimate leader. Developed into a fine midfielder but it was in dropping into the sweeping role that he really came to national prominence, winning two Allstars. Alternating between the two roles, he has pinned the whole thing together in both defence and midfield. It's a coin toss to put him ahead of the grossly unfortunate Kevin Hughes.

Brian Dooher
AT the time, Dooher seemed almost like a freak of nature. Strong, robust, it was the quiet way that he just seemed to pop up on every loose ball going, no matter whether it fell in front of Tyrone's goal or out on the sideline or on the edge of the 'D'. The famous point against Kerry, bouncing his way down the sideline off men, was so special in that it boiled him down into 12 seconds. Another who excelled in the big years, winning Allstars in '03, '05 and '08.

Brian McGuigan
IT'S as if the traditional number 11 role died when McGuigan faded off the inter-county scene. The Ardboe man ghosted around looking for ball and when he got it facing the opposition's goal, he could almost anything he wanted with it. His vision, his passing ability, his decision-making, they were all exemplary. An Allstar in '03, his decision to return home from Oz to play in '05 was massive for Tyrone.

Enda McGinley
NO matter what job Mickey Harte asked him to do, McGinley did it with the minimum of fuss. Most of the time, it was operating out as the third midfielder, where he'd find himself on mountains of ball. At times he was asked to play as an orthodox midfield man, most notably in 2008, when he did it so well that he ended up with his sole Allstar. Went on a great scoring run that year. The kind of player every team needs.

Owen Mulligan
HE wasn't always the most consistent but when Mulligan was good, he was brilliant. Scored one of the great all-time goals against Dublin in 2005, which was all the more significant because Tyrone seemed in such bother in the game. Being named man of the match in that year's final capped his best season, which had seen him dropped in early summer and go on to win his Allstar. A brilliant finisher, he could go off right or left, and always had that eye for goal.

Peter Canavan
FROM scoring ridiculous tallies with efforts from impossible angles and of ludicrous levels of difficulty, as well as his ability to thread a pass like no other man, there were simply none as good as Canavan. Injuries were starting to take their toll towards the end and yet he still had it in his locker to score as sumptuous a goal as he did in the 2005 final, his last game. Finished up with six Allstars (three in the 2000s) and a Footballer of the Year gong (1995).

Stephen O'Neill
AS Canavan neared the end, the quiet man from Aughabrack took over as the shining light in the Tyrone attack. O'Neill was a great ball-winner and was just as good a finisher with a bigger range. Often caught the eye with spectacular efforts, but he also did the simple things well. Won an Allstar in his breakthrough year and was the best forward in Ireland by 2015, when he rightfully won the Footballer of the Year award. Retired briefly through injury but returned and only finally gave in after the 2013 season.

trailer

Quote from: Pearse Blue on December 11, 2019, 01:57:03 PM
Quote from: trailer on December 11, 2019, 01:08:18 PM

Wonder if Sludden is a Harte Bandwagoner, or has he a bit of sense?

You don't get jobs in Chinese communist party unless you're loyal to President Xi.

southtyronegael

Is it true that anyone who gets elected to county board roles has to swear an oath of allegiance to Mickey harte?