House Builing

Started by joebloggs, May 24, 2010, 01:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joebloggs

I'm looking into building a new house and was wondering what you guys here would do differently if building again and what you are glad you did.

Orior

You'd better state whether you're north or south of the border
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

under the bar

What with the drive for making homes more energy efficient I cannot understand why it is not complusory to have a rain-water butt in all new homes insted of using drinking water for watering the garden, rinsing clothes, washing the car etc.   

johnneycool

Put the solar panels on, a great job altogether.

AZOffaly

Loads of Power Sockets. Just when you think you have enough, add a couple. Especially in Bedrooms, Living Rooms and Kitchens.

Make sure you have phone points in a load of rooms. If you get Sky in, and want multiroom, you'll need to connect to a phoneline, and it's handy to just have it there. Costs very little.

Last thing, outside Plug socket. Very, very handy.

joebloggs

An outside plug could be very handy indeed. Building in the north. Anyone put any network cabling in? Considering this before wireless.

Hereiam

After discovering the homeplug network system I dont think I would bother with it.

sammymaguire

Some of my electrical spec included dedicated circuits for : 
Dishwasher
Fridge
Washine machine
Tumble dryer
Water heater
Focal Fire
smoke Alarms
CCTV
Intruder Alarm

Electric Shower Downstairs bedroom [Wire Only]

Intercom for gates wired to kitchen and master bedroom
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Down South

Quote from: joebloggs on May 24, 2010, 01:00:18 PM
I'm looking into building a new house and was wondering what you guys here would do differently if building again and what you are glad you did.

Is it not cheaper to buy than build at the minute?

illdecide

Make sure you put the concrete floor slabs in and not timber joists, might cost a few hundred more but are the only job. Bigger bed-rooms would have been good. Don't get a leather suite from DFS or Land of Leather...lol
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 24, 2010, 01:40:30 PM
Loads of Power Sockets. Just when you think you have enough, add a couple. Especially in Bedrooms, Living Rooms and Kitchens.

Make sure you have phone points in a load of rooms. If you get Sky in, and want multiroom, you'll need to connect to a phoneline, and it's handy to just have it there. Costs very little.

Last thing, outside Plug socket. Very, very handy.

I'd avoid the phone sockets as much as possible if its broadband you're after, just put in two phone sockets, one under the stairs or the likes and one near your main TV point to keep Sky happy. Feed a load of CAT6E through the house back to a hub under the stairs and strip off your broadband there. You can get RJ45 terminal points at any electrical supplier and you've a load less bother with filters and the likes. I've yet to meet a spark yet who could wire a proper braodband system over phone lines without a bit of bother.
Buy a DECT phone and put the base under the stairs and then you can get as many handsets as you need.

I do like the sound of that homeplug network system though, check it out.

Outside sockets are a must for the tacky christmas decorations and barbies.

under the bar

QuoteIs it not cheaper to buy than build at the minute?

Maybe so but transporting it to your site can prove difficult.