Paddy Heaney of the irish news!

Started by culchy1, December 07, 2006, 10:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

IN: Sales are falling, lads. Go get Paddy back. 

Paddy, come back. Here's a wad of notes.

PH: OK, but only if I can constantly refer to my gym in the column.

IN: Deal.

PH: Missus, cancel those flyers.

yellowcard

Quote from: seafoid on February 06, 2020, 11:58:29 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on February 06, 2020, 10:01:18 AM
Quote from: ck on February 05, 2020, 10:40:37 PM
I rarely read the Irish News but happened to read a copy today. Heaney is a good writer but his article today is a glorified advert for his gym business in Maghera. His sucking up to Rory Gallagher was pathetic and OTT and again clear that its another business move as his gym will be used by Derry players.

Call me cynical but Heaney would appear to be back writing to enhance his own business!

Those were also my initial thoughts. One week is fair enough on his return to journalism but a second consecutive underwhelming column mostly about his gym just looks as though it is a self promotion column. Heaney was a very good writer but hopefully he will return to writing about what he does best which is gaelic football.   
Try writing an article about football in early February.
In his mythical past in the Irish News did he write much of note in winter ?

The national Leagues are in full flow so from a games perspective plenty to write about. There is an epidemic of young players on whom county managers are placing way too much in terms of demands. I've heard of a county player recently who travelled to Belfast at 4.30am for a gym session that morning, returned to Belfast and then returned back to his county again that evening for a pitch session. Countless examples of this rat race. Fixtures issue has never been solved and is not getting better. Upcoming congress and presidential race. Loads of issues.

Still much too early to judge but maybe Paddy has just lost his contacts and inside knowledge within gaelic football and will not be able to offer the same insight which he did previously. Hopefully not but time will tell. Whether he is returning because of his passion for writing and gaelic games or simply out of necessity, it will quickly become obvious on the page. 

Taylor

If we were expecting Paddy's new column to be like his old one then we are sorely disappointed.

The IN will be pissed off as they obviously hoped the arrest their drop in sales by taking Paddy back (his old pieces were really good).

The two latest pieces will do nothing to help sales as they are dire

ck

Quote from: Taylor on February 06, 2020, 12:36:56 PM
If we were expecting Paddy's new column to be like his old one then we are sorely disappointed.

The IN will be pissed off as they obviously hoped the arrest their drop in sales by taking Paddy back (his old pieces were really good).

The two latest pieces will do nothing to help sales as they are dire

Agree. The stuff I read the other day would put people off buying it. It was a blatant advertisement for his own gym. As for the love letter to Rory Gallagher? Another blatant business development tactic. The whole thing was embarrassing for the man.

Rawhide

Paddy back to his best with that arcticle today, very enjoyable, 'the days when wakes were like smoking championships'  ;D ;D
cccc is a true supporter lol

Targetman

Naw can't agree with that, at least he didn't mention his gym!!

illdecide

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

redzone

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: redzone on March 04, 2020, 08:43:46 PM
Copy and paste it up

Can't even unless a subscriber - premium content can't be viewed even incognito. Anyone know a bypass?

Main Street

Quote from: the_daddy on March 05, 2020, 10:57:06 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 05, 2020, 10:36:36 AM
Copy and paste it up

Can't even unless a subscriber - premium content can't be viewed even incognito. Anyone know a bypass?

Buy the paper?
Screenshot

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: the_daddy on March 05, 2020, 10:57:06 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 05, 2020, 10:36:36 AM
Copy and paste it up

Buy the paper?

Go away with your nonsense.

Eamonnca1

Viewing the page source works for some newspapers, but not the IN.

Newbridge Exile

Today's article was one of the  best since he returned to the Irish News, he really hits the nail on the head imo  with regards to the pushy parents and clubs attitude at under age level these days .

lenny

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on May 06, 2020, 10:07:09 AM
Today's article was one of the  best since he returned to the Irish News, he really hits the nail on the head imo  with regards to the pushy parents and clubs attitude at under age level these days .

Totally agree, great article.

clarshack