Shell to Sea

Started by blast05, August 21, 2008, 11:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tankie

Quote from: Colonel Cool on September 18, 2008, 09:37:30 AM
Is that woman that leads the opposition to Gas/Oil pipelines still on her hunger strike?

yeah i was listening to her today, shes on day ten. She said she wont eat until the pipe laying ship leaves irish waters. She is playing a dangerous game here and working on the assumption that people give a fock.
Grand Slam Saturday!

Zapatista

Quote from: Tankie on September 18, 2008, 02:10:21 PM
Is that woman that leads the opposition to Gas/Oil pipelines still on her hunger strike?

yeah i was listening to her today, shes on day ten. She said she wont eat until the pipe laying ship leaves irish waters. She is playing a dangerous game here and working on the assumption that people give a fock.

Is she the leader of the protests?

Do people not give a fock?

Tankie

Quote from: Zapatista on September 18, 2008, 02:13:45 PM

I dont think she is a leader or anything like that. Also i dont think people do care, when the 5 lads were sent to jail i was expecting a huge public outcry but nobody cared, sure i brought it up in work today an some colleagues didnt even know what i was talking about!
Grand Slam Saturday!

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Tankie on September 18, 2008, 02:19:24 PM

I dont think she is a leader or anything like that. Also i dont think people do care, when the 5 lads were sent to jail i was expecting a huge public outcry but nobody cared, sure i brought it up in work today an some colleagues didnt even know what i was talking about!

Thats because most people working in McDonalds are foreign
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Tankie

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on September 18, 2008, 02:21:31 PM

where you out watching that british soccer team you love on tuesday LL?
Grand Slam Saturday!

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Tankie on September 18, 2008, 02:25:26 PM

??? Thats a funny question and I can't see the relevance all that chip oil must be getting the better of you,but to answer, no i watched it at home and throughly enjoyed it
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ludermor

:D :D

Tankie

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on September 18, 2008, 02:27:25 PM

??? Thats a funny question and I can't see the relevance all that chip oil must be getting the better of you,but to answer, no i watched it at home and throughly enjoyed it

like a true british fan. are you not putting your crest up again this season?
Grand Slam Saturday!

Hardy

Is it reasonable to make the benign assumption that this is not on the front pages because the media realise that the woman needs help and that hyping up her self-harming might only serve to encourage it?

Tankie

it will be interesting to see how this plays out as I cannot se shell taking the ship out of irish waters!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Colonel Cool

Quote from: Hardy on September 18, 2008, 02:33:18 PM
Is it reasonable to make the benign assumption that this is not on the front pages because the media realise that the woman needs help and that hyping up her self-harming might only serve to encourage it?

That's what I thought when I saw her interviewed. She needs help. Do they have the equivalent of sectioning under the Mental Health Act in the South?
I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Tankie on September 18, 2008, 02:32:24 PM

Yeah might do after the Ryder Cup...Do you wanna explain where you are going with this your not making any sense young man
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Tankie

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on September 18, 2008, 02:55:10 PM
Quote from: Tankie on September 18, 2008, 02:32:24 PM

Yeah might do after the Ryder Cup...Do you wanna explain where you are going with this your not making any sense young man

I have no real direction as it is well off topic!
Grand Slam Saturday!

muppet

Quote from: Lecale2 on September 17, 2008, 09:52:28 PM
The truth is that most countries would bite Shell's hand off to allow them to gain access to natural gas/oil off their coast in the current climate.
Years of prosperity have changed our outlook and allowed a couple of self interested farmers, fishermen and Eco warriors to set the agenda. Time to wake up I think.

You are right, it is time you woke up to the reality of what is going on.

Firstly lets ringfence your accusing the farmers etc of self interest.

Now why should we bite Shell's hand off? You have ruled out the defense of self interest in the case of the farmers, fishermen etc so you obviously cannot use it as an argument for the Government .

What's good for the goose is good for the brown envelope loving gander.

So if self interest is ruled out then why would we bite Shell's hand off to merely give away the only useful natural resource that we have, for free?

FYI the natural gas will be sold to the international market at market rates. If hypothetically we couldn't afford market rates (imagine a spike in energy prices) then any country that could afford it would get the gas. Shell get the money. We'd get 50 jobs until the gas runs out.

Now if we ignore the locals protest and re-allow the self interest agrument in the case of a country selling its gas, surely there would actually be some charge for the raw material? But there isn't, not a cent.

So tell me how it is any of our interests?
MWWSI 2017

Silky

Muppet - well named.

There's two sides to the story. We need the Gas for our economy. The farmers & fishermen need to wake up to progress. This is the counter arguement from Mayo for the Gas.

Recent Shell to Sea proposal is nothing new; it is high time Mayo put controversy behind it and start maximising the tangible benefits from bringing the gas ashore says Brendan Cafferty, Secretary of the Pro Gas Mayo group.

The Pro Gas Mayo group was set up to give the ordinary people of Mayo a voice in the debate over the gas. Included in our group are farmers, businessmen, ordinary workers, unemployed and retired people. .   We represent the families that have long been separated by those who have had to go to Britain and further in an effort to find work.  We represent the people who see the gas as the first chapter in a new history of Mayo.  We have watched quietly from the sidelines whilst the Government, big business and various other groups with their own agendas have claimed to represent the people of Erris and Mayo, and we are saying it's high time we spoke for ourselves.

The Pro-Gas Mayo group wants Corrib gas to be developed in its current design for one simple reason; we believe that an onshore terminal offers Mayo the best way to maximise the benefits of the gas.  Offshore processing will certainly provide benefits, but not to the communities in Erris.  It's a simple fact that Ireland, never mind Mayo, doesn't have the capabilities to build or support an offshore platform.  Only by building an onshore terminal will local suppliers and sub-contractors get a chance to participate in the project and thus share the benefit.

I understand that there are now nearly 170 jobs that can be directly or indirectly linked to work at the Bellanaboy Bridge site, this will increase to 700 during construction.  I accept that this figure is only for the duration of construction but 700 jobs over a two-year period is certainly of great value in unemployment black spot. I believe the gas will act as a catalyst for much needed further development in the area.  Looking longer term there will be 50 permanent jobs on the terminal, 50 permanent, pensionable jobs is certainly not to be sniffed at and is in our view the tip of the iceberg.  Such a facility can not operate in isolation and must be supported by all manner of services and contractors, again these satellite jobs would not exist if the gas was processed offshore.

Apart from the obvious benefits of employment, the other primary benefit to Mayo is the gas itself.  Some towns in Mayo will be disappointed that the recent announcement was not more widespread, understandably so.  These towns have long since recognised the potential for development that gas will bring to their communities.  The best example of this lies in Cork, where the availability of gas has encouraged world-leaders in the pharmaceutical industry to locate their premises in the area.  It is unwise to predict a similar boom in Mayo, but you can guarantee that without the gas Mayo will not be viewed as an attractive proposition for future foreign and domestic investors.
While we welcome very much the recent RedC opinion poll which shows that a large majority of people in the county wish to see people go to work on the project unhindered, it is our opinion that that such polls can hardly be the criterion for deciding the desirability or otherwise of developments such as this, phone masts or whatever.

Of course we don't advocate jobs at any cost and some people will rightly point out that the health and safety of the community of Erris, and the environmental protection of the landscape is the number one factor in deciding how to recover the gas.  We agree wholeheartedly with this, the fact of the matter is however, neither our group, nor many of the loudest voices in this debate, are experts on the matters of locating or operating a gas-processing terminal, or on pipeline safety.  We believe that the experts should be left to do their job and we as a society must trust in their expertise and competency.  Due process has been followed, relevant authorities have been fully engaged, submissions have been made from various parties; including Dr Garavan of Shell to Sea who said in a letter to Mayo County Council "that there was no demonstrable need to recover the gas".  Yet there is reluctance on behalf of some who have participated to accept the outcomes of these processes. Pipe safety through Rossport was the issue last year (despite getting a clean bill of health from Advantica consultants), now that it is out of the equation, new agendas arise. Things like tax yield, peat removal, UK Gas are thrown into the pot. I say that Shell will pay 26% corporation tax, while other companies operating here pay 12.5%; if the tax regime was so good, how come there were so few companies interested in exploring the wells?  The Terminal is located in a wooded area in one of the best sites possible. Yes peat is being transported from it to a  Bord Na Mona cut-away bog at Shramore- hardly a cataclysmic development !   Ireland imports up to 90% of it's gas from the UK which itself is now a net importer of the product, hardly an optimum situation with Kinsale Gas running out. Corrib will supply about 60% of our Gas needs, so we see the necessity of the project going ahead. We say that Shell to Sea's proposal is nothing that hasn't been gone through before, the time has past for a re-think of the design concept, let's getting on with the practical business of asserting Mayo on the national stage

And this is really what we are all about.  We have watched Mayo's reputation been dragged through the mud recently as outlined by Superintendent Gannon in a recent article and want to show the country that we welcome the gas, we welcome development and we want to play our part in the vibrant Ireland we live in today.

Sustainability Report    

Sustainability Report    

Download the Shell Sustainability Report 2006 or view it online

Exploration    

Exploration    

Our Oil and Gas exploration activities in Ireland...

News and Library    

News and Library    

Latest Press Releases and Articles.