Shell to Sea

Started by blast05, August 21, 2008, 11:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapatista

Quote from: Tankie on September 16, 2008, 03:13:45 PM
Quote from: Zapatista on September 16, 2008, 03:11:52 PM
Quote from: Tankie on September 16, 2008, 03:07:33 PM
ahh this is taking it a bit far, theres one thing some aul one not eating but another thing putting other people lives in danger!

She is also a person.

Do you know who did this?

yes but what she is doing she can stop and its all he own choice, a bomb could go off at any stage killing anyone!

I gathered from your post that you think STS did this. Is that right? If so can you tell me why you think that?

Gnevin

Quote from: Zapatista on September 16, 2008, 03:17:02 PM
ahh this is taking it a bit far, theres one thing some aul one not eating but another thing putting other people lives in danger!

She is also a person.

yes but what she is doing she can stop and its all he own choice, a bomb could go off at any stage killing anyone!

I gathered from your post that you think STS did this. Is that right? If so can you tell me why you think that?
It's being strongly implied in the news that while it may not be STS is someone who believes in their cause
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

blast05

I am fairly certain that there is not a person in Rossport, Pullathomas, Carratighe, Portacloy, Bar na Tra, Porturlin, Bellanaboy or any other village or townland in the area surrounding where the gas is coming onshore that would condone that placing of a bomb at the offices of Shell in Dublin as mean to further the cause of getting Shell to process the gas at an off-shote terminal.

Why did Shell feel the need to reference the works in Mayo in their press release ? Ridiculous and all as it is to say, but who is to say for certain that Shell did not put it there themselves

Tankie

Quote from: blast05 on September 16, 2008, 03:27:51 PM
I am fairly certain that there is not a person in Rossport, Pullathomas, Carratighe, Portacloy, Bar na Tra, Porturlin, Bellanaboy or any other village or townland in the area surrounding where the gas is coming onshore that would condone that placing of a bomb at the offices of Shell in Dublin as mean to further the cause of getting Shell to process the gas at an off-shote terminal.

Why did Shell feel the need to reference the works in Mayo in their press release ? Ridiculous and all as it is to say, but who is to say for certain that Shell did not put it there themselves

Sure maybe Biffo himself put it there hoping to take out a few citizens of homeless guys to keep the state coffers up  ::)
Grand Slam Saturday!

Zapatista

Quote from: Gnevin on September 16, 2008, 03:18:55 PM
Quote from: Zapatista on September 16, 2008, 03:17:02 PM

She is also a person.

It's being strongly implied in the news that while it may not be STS is someone who believes in their cause

The Green Party or Al Gore maybe? How would they know this unless they know who did it?

Gnevin

Quote from: Tankie on September 16, 2008, 03:29:57 PM

Sure maybe Biffo himself put it there hoping to take out a few citizens of homeless guys to keep the state coffers up  ::)

Says it all Tankie
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

blast05

Quote from: Gnevin on September 16, 2008, 03:44:30 PM

Says it all Tankie

FFS lads, i said its a ridiculous suggestion  .... in the same manner that it is unfair that the media are taken it as a given that Shell to Sea are responsible.

Gnevin

Quote from: blast05 on September 16, 2008, 03:51:39 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on September 16, 2008, 03:44:30 PM

Says it all Tankie

FFS lads, i said its a ridiculous suggestion  .... in the same manner that it is unfair that the media are taken it as a given that Shell to Sea are responsible.
Yeah your right its as ridiculous as the notion of the Irish government wilfully endangering it own people !

Zapatista

These things can get out of hand very quick. There are interested partys on both side who would like to 'nip it in the bud' quickly.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/news/2000/11/war-001108-afnga.htm

While we are not in the same league as Nigera we are dealing with the same company who have the same motives as the Nigerians are.

Shell have used force in other places to continue their work. The have employed Military trained security for their work here.

It is as plausible to suggest Shell did this as it is to suggest STS did it.

Posted the wrong link :D ;)

blast05

QuoteYeah your right its as ridiculous as the notion of the Irish government wilfully endangering it own people !

Remind me exactly where i suggested this ?

magpie seanie

Wasting your time there Blast.

Zapatista

Quote from: blast05 on September 16, 2008, 04:42:05 PM
QuoteYeah your right its as ridiculous as the notion of the Irish government wilfully endangering it own people !

Remind me exactly where i suggested this ?

I think it was for me blast.

blast05

I see no the 6 1 news this evening, the girl that was reporting from Glengad (Glengad is where the pipes come ashore, Ballinaboy is where the terminal is) said something along the lines of, "meanwhile, the Shell to Sea protestors continue to protest demanding that the Shell terminal is re-located further west along the cost at Glinsk".

Now i have read about this propsal on all the local rags but it is the first time i have heard or read it in the national media (i may well have missed it before). I always felt this was a perfectly reasonable compromise whereby the gas is piped another 8-10 miles east along the north Mayo coast and brought ashore at a new terminal right beside the coast at Glinsk, which is uninhabited and indeed would have no people living within a 2-3 mile radius. The nearest residents would be in the village of Belderrig. Shell of course have kept the heads down and dismissed the proposals as it would require the project to start again and thus delay gas coming ashore for probably 3-4 years. It also of course would have to be subject to the full planning routine but would be a more favourable site in that there are no residents close by, it would not require high pressure unprocessed gas to be piped on land, it would not risk polluting any water supply as per the terminal at Ballinaboy, the geology is more suitable etc etc
Of course, the Shell to Sea campaign have done themselves no favours in not highlighting this propsal sufficiently at a national level and have also, as i mentioned before, allowed themselves to have their cause confused in the publics mind by standing behind Maura Harrington. I would like to see something along the lines of a statement from them saying basically that it is their continued believe that a compromise is possible by the terminal re-locating to Glinsk and also asking Maura Harrington to stop her hunger strike. Such a statement would get top billing on all news bulletins cos of the request for Harrington to stop and would thus also highlight this to date, very poorly communicated (or at least understood) other option.

Bod Mor

Quote from: blast05 on September 16, 2008, 07:02:45 PM
I see no the 6 1 news this evening, the girl that was reporting from Glengad (Glengad is where the pipes come ashore, Ballinaboy is where the terminal is) said something along the lines of, "meanwhile, the Shell to Sea protestors continue to protest demanding that the Shell terminal is re-located further west along the cost at Glinsk".

This was proposed over 3 years ago when this seafoid started off and it was completely dismissed by shell. Bullies like shell don't like being told what to do.
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

Gnevin

Quote from: Bod Mor on September 17, 2008, 12:21:31 AM
Quote from: blast05 on September 16, 2008, 07:02:45 PM

This was proposed over 3 years ago when this seafoid started off and it was completely dismissed by shell. Bullies like shell don't like being told what to do.
So now it's Shell to Sea and also a couple of miles up the road or not coming a shore in Mayo at all. I think you'll agree that's not as catchy