Tyrone players say the Rosary before every game

Started by T Fearon, July 20, 2017, 06:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Itchy on July 23, 2017, 07:49:21 PM
What would happen is a Muslim or the like was a decent footballer in Tyrone, would they have to convert?

I think they tried the Muslim craic in 2008 with the beards.
Next year they'll be in saffron robes.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

vallankumous

http://traleetoday.ie/final-countdown-kieran-donaghy-rebirth-star/

Tomas O'Se once remarked of the Tyrone team of the mid 00's that "if Tyrone were out set dancing five nights a week every other team would be out doing it as well."

I think he referred to "northern teams" at the time rather than 'Tyrone' but this is the first quote I found.

Beantown

Who gives a F**k.  I couldn't care less.  Maybe Dublin read the Koran and Kerry are all Krishna's.  Maybe Longford are all mormons.  Who cares?

Players will toe the line in certain counties just to stay on the panel, whether they are religious or not.  If Brian Cody asked his players to hop on one leg and bark like a dog before a match they would...  Its all about the sense of collective and sense of team that is the main driving force behind this.

Supporters wear lucky jerseys, unwashed usually, have routines and superstitions they go through.  Going to mass in Drumcondra before a big match in Croker is a big one.

Nothing to see here, move on.

magpie seanie

Quote from: seafoid on July 24, 2017, 01:29:17 PM
Quote from: vallankumous on July 24, 2017, 12:56:11 PM
it's some reflection when Mickey Harte can get them to do something they wouldn't do for their own Mothers.

Some player years ago was asked what it meant to win the all Ireland
"i'll have to get a new mickey"
If the rosary is the way to get there ...

Larry O'Gorman was the man. Pure honest!

Hardy

Quote from: Beantown on July 26, 2017, 10:15:41 AM
Who gives a F**k.  I couldn't care less.  Maybe Dublin read the Koran and Kerry are all Krishna's.  Maybe Longford are all mormons.  Who cares?

Players will toe the line in certain counties just to stay on the panel, whether they are religious or not.  If Brian Cody asked his players to hop on one leg and bark like a dog before a match they would...  Its all about the sense of collective and sense of team that is the main driving force behind this.

Supporters wear lucky jerseys, unwashed usually, have routines and superstitions they go through.  Going to mass in Drumcondra before a big match in Croker is a big one.

Nothing to see here, move on.

I think I saw Brolly doing that one time.

reddgnhand

Quote from: BennyCake on July 25, 2017, 06:51:27 PM
Quote from: lenny on July 25, 2017, 05:03:29 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on July 25, 2017, 03:19:10 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 25, 2017, 02:10:48 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on July 25, 2017, 11:44:04 AM
Quote from: rosnarun on July 25, 2017, 11:27:21 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on July 25, 2017, 07:27:40 AM
What would happen is a Muslim or the like was a decent footballer in Tyrone, would they have to convert?
Maybe they would do something different to aid team bonding!
I doubt if a devout Muslim/Prod would have any issue with pre match prayer as long as its on of Thanks and offering  a not a plea to change the result of the game . which is more of a VooDoo thing
as for atheist sure they are so liberal they couldn't have any issue either . .
I'm sure Mickey doesn't insist they actually say anything just sit/kneel in concentration  to the chosen bonding ritual

Other teams will be onto this and say two decades of the Rosary meaning God will give them the rub of the green instead of those heathen hoors from Tyrone only saying one...

Ah sure wy bother training at all. Teams could meet 4/5 times a week and say the rosary for an hour and a half. Then we'll know who the holiest county in Ireland is, as that team will be taking Sam home.

Just imagine the interviews at the banquet. Jaysus, the dedication of these lads. Each one of them went through a dozen rosary beads since before christmas. Except if Tyrone win Sam, youll hear no insider info.

lads
the idea of the prayer is not to gain advantage but to give thanks
no wonder the Church is failing seeing how poor the message is distributed

just did a little highlighting for the hard of reading among us

They're not praying for thanks, they're praying for forgiveness for the cynical fouls and sledging they are about to commit. That's why a lot of people don't like that about Harte, it's the hypocrisy.

Bar Morgan, they have been fairly disciplined this year. Maybe they're praying for forgiveness for past sins. Gormley, Ricey, Jordan, Mugsy, Canavan to name a few. They'll be praying for years given the shite those boys got up to.

Do you ever judge your own players?

BennyCake

Quote from: reddgnhand on July 26, 2017, 06:32:33 PM
I doubt if a devout Muslim/Prod would have any issue with pre match prayer as long as its on of Thanks and offering  a not a plea to change the result of the game . which is more of a VooDoo thing
I'm sure Mickey doesn't insist they actually say anything just sit/kneel in concentration  to the chosen bonding ritual

Other teams will be onto this and say two decades of the Rosary meaning God will give them the rub of the green instead of those heathen hoors from Tyrone only saying one...

Ah sure wy bother training at all. Teams could meet 4/5 times a week and say the rosary for an hour and a half. Then we'll know who the holiest county in Ireland is, as that team will be taking Sam home.

Just imagine the interviews at the banquet. Jaysus, the dedication of these lads. Each one of them went through a dozen rosary beads since before christmas. Except if Tyrone win Sam, youll hear no insider info.

lads

They're not praying for thanks, they're praying for forgiveness for the cynical fouls and sledging they are about to commit. That's why a lot of people don't like that about Harte, it's the hypocrisy.

Bar Morgan, they have been fairly disciplined this year. Maybe they're praying for forgiveness for past sins. Gormley, Ricey, Jordan, Mugsy, Canavan to name a few. They'll be praying for years given the shite those boys got up to.

Such as...?

reddgnhand

Quote from: BennyCake on July 26, 2017, 06:39:16 PM
Quote from: reddgnhand on July 26, 2017, 06:32:33 PM

lads

Such as...?

I would suggest you read Star Donaghy's book.