The Future for Laois Football

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, July 05, 2021, 12:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Fielder

Not surprisingly, it's causing a bit of a stink. Justin has put his party in a very awkward situation. Remove the whip and they're getting rid of an elected representative. The SDLP are not in a great place just now. Allow him to do both and it opens up a bigger can of worms with members, constituents and party policy. It's very likely that a compromise will be necessary for everyone to save face.

I'm still amazed that Laois GAA and McNulty himself saw no issues at all here. Harm already done in many ways and I hope he doesn't pay for that by losing his seat

Blueforever

Maybe he can do like the southern politicians the rarely attend the Dail except on Budget day after that they attend to their daily jobs or whatever pies their fingers are in

Chrimtain

In fairness, didn't Peter Fitzpatrick double job with Louth footballers while also being a TD?

High Fielder

He did. Over 10 years ago. We know where the game has gone since, and if anything, it's a bigger commitment now.

I can't help feeling this wasn't a good move for McNulty. Unless he wants out of politics, he might have bought himself bother he didn't need or expect

Spiritof86

Justin McNulty by all accounts is offering his time freely as a volunteer to Laois GAA . He is entitled to expenses which is covered by the county board. This is all within the GAA rules .

Strange appointment nevertheless but financially makes sense for CB .
Back room team  will be interesting and seemingly where the costs will be the highest .

High Fielder

Again, not really the point. Let's take this week as an example. McNulty's Constituency office is in Newry, parts of which were under water yesterday. Local businesses will be calling on him, along with local residents and the many other local interest groups. Daisy Hill Hospital is down the road, and that is a big issue for McNulty. This man has more than enough on his plate. It's hard to fathom what he was thinking by taking the Laois job

He needs to say he's assisting Laois in an advisory capacity only. On a voluntary basis. If there is money to spare, and we need McNulty to mentor or advise, then fine, go with that. But for the sake of his political career, he needs to row back on his involvement with Laois; at least from a public perspective

Spiritof86

Quote from: High Fielder on November 01, 2023, 12:59:19 PMAgain, not really the point. Let's take this week as an example. McNulty's Constituency office is in Newry, parts of which were under water yesterday. Local businesses will be calling on him, along with local residents and the many other local interest groups. Daisy Hill Hospital is down the road, and that is a big issue for McNulty. This man has more than enough on his plate. It's hard to fathom what he was thinking by taking the Laois job

He needs to say he's assisting Laois in an advisory capacity only. On a voluntary basis. If there is money to spare, and we need McNulty to mentor or advise, then fine, go with that. But for the sake of his political career, he needs to row back on his involvement with Laois; at least from a public perspective

Apologies HF . I wasn't addressing a singular point you had made . It was just a stand alone comment/observation.

High Fielder

In fairness I accept the point made, and I'm not doubting McNulty's or Laois' bona fides. It's just a bad look, and it's made all the worse by the current impasse in Stormont. You can see the criticism a mile off

Giovanni

I have to say, you're not giving the man much credit for being able to make good decisions about his own affairs, about which he presumably knows more about than you do!

The Boy Wonder

Maybe Justin is stepping back into inter-county management with an eye on possible future opportunities nearer home – his native Armagh in particular.

He is familiar with the scene in Laois and even though we're at a very low level currently he could made modest progress with us.

We don't know what his aspirations in the political field might be but his grá for the GAA is obvious.

Giovanni

Quote from: High Fielder on November 01, 2023, 03:55:35 PMJust my opinion. The appointment surprised me when I first heard about it. It seems it took a few by surprise

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2023/10/27/news/justin_mcnulty_s_antics_leave_sdlp_assembly_team_deeply_frustrated_says_party_source-3734345/

Fair enough. But that article would give some credibility to the idea that Justin was not terribly happy with the SDLP in the first place. Neil Blaney's comments about Justin being "forced out" might suggest that the relationship there wasn't good before the Laois job ever came along. I don't know any of these details but I'm quite sure he's able to weigh his options up fairly sensibly.

High Fielder

He may well see his future outside of politics and the SDLP; that much is possible. Combining the two seems unrealistic though. The margin for error will be very small, and whatever about Laois, his political opponents won't spare the rod if he's found wanting

From the Terrace

Any word on players committing for 2024

Spiritof86

O'Byrne Cup Senior Football 2024

Wednesday, 3rd January 2024 – Round 1   Venue
Wexford   v   Wicklow   Chadwicks Wexford Park
Carlow   v   Kildare   Netwatch Cullen Park
Laois   v   Offaly   Laois Hire O'Moore Park

Saturday, 6th  January 2024 – Q-Finals   Venue
Winners Wexford/Wicklow   v   Winners Carlow/Kildare   Chadwicks Wexford Park/Echelon Park, Aughrim
Winners Laois/Offaly   v   Dublin   Laois Hire O'Moore Park/Glenisk O'Connor Park
Meath   v   Louth   Pairc Tailteann
Longford   v   Westmeath   Glennon Bros Pearse Park, Longford