FAI...June 2024 Friendlies v Hungary and Portugal

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: seafoid on June 03, 2021, 03:15:06 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on June 03, 2021, 11:19:23 AM
Surely Kenny will get his first win tonight? If we dont, I dont think I can stick the Kenny fan boys trying to put on another positive spin.
If they can't beat Andorra there can only be 3 possibilities

1. Biddy Earley
2. Someone in the camp failed to bless themselves as a hearse passed by
3. SFA attention played to player development since 2010

That implies there was attention paid to player development before 2010.
A network of coaches whose crowning glory is to get as many of their players shoved off to English clubs was hardly player development.

seafoid

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on June 04, 2021, 02:47:13 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 03, 2021, 03:15:06 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on June 03, 2021, 11:19:23 AM
Surely Kenny will get his first win tonight? If we dont, I dont think I can stick the Kenny fan boys trying to put on another positive spin.
If they can't beat Andorra there can only be 3 possibilities

1. Biddy Earley
2. Someone in the camp failed to bless themselves as a hearse passed by
3. SFA attention played to player development since 2010

That implies there was attention paid to player development before 2010.
A network of coaches whose crowning glory is to get as many of their players shoved off to English clubs was hardly player development.
Player development was outsourced to England.

One of the great soccer words is quality.  Ireland still had some quality players in 2010.

Now the EPL harvests players from all over the world and very few Irish players get a look in

BennyCake

Capt Pat

BennyCake

Farrandeelin

Kenny Cunningham, Jaysus he's hard to listen to.   :-\
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

weareros

The enthusiasm of the Hungarian crowd for a challenge game with Ireland must be commended.

clarshack

Only caught 2nd half but the team seemed to play alright. Not a bad result.

straightred

Quote from: clarshack on June 08, 2021, 08:51:53 PM
Only caught 2nd half but the team seemed to play alright. Not a bad result.

Did well and could easily snatched a win at the end. Long way to go before we can get too optimistic but dare I say we might have turned a corner ?

BennyCake

Didn't see first half v Hungary, so only catching up now that the Hungarian fans booed the Irish team for taking the knee.

What's your thoughts on this?

seafoid

Quote from: BennyCake on June 10, 2021, 07:12:40 PM
Didn't see first half v Hungary, so only catching up now that the Hungarian fans booed the Irish team for taking the knee.

The Hungarian leader is a right wing authoritarian gobshite like Netanyahu.
Taking the knee is seen as a left wing thing. So the fans were contrary.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/brian-kerr-we-are-out-of-the-running-for-the-world-cup-already-1.4589994

"At the beginning," said Kerr, "Stephen talked a lot about how he wanted to play. He wanted to dominate the ball in all areas of the pitch and he wanted us to play it out from the back, and he wanted us to be composed, and play through the thirds.

"That is fine but the likes of Finland, Bulgaria, Wales all sat off and let us try to do that build-up from the back and then they would set traps for us in the middle of the pitch."

Another example was the early seconds in Budapest last Tuesday when Conor Hourihane and John Egan were both caught in possession perilously close to Gavin Bazunu's goal.

"I am sure the whole process – the 13 matches – has helped them," Kerr continued. "It has allowed Stephen to gain the experience and to become a bit more rational, I would say, and pragmatic when it comes to the tests of international football.

"It is not easy to win these games. You are not going to be able to control the ball against other international teams. I think that realisation has come along over time with the way the results have gone.

"In my view we are out of the running for the World Cup already," Kerr continued. "It is going to take something very dramatic to turn that around. We are going to have to beat both Portugal and Serbia in September, unless Luxembourg continue to take points off these teams as they did to us in Dublin."

BennyCake

Quote from: seafoid on June 11, 2021, 07:32:42 AM

I think it's just become tedious and meaningless.

But like the poppy, if you don't wear one, you're a target for abuse. Wilfred Zaha stopped doing it,and that was grand, but if a white player declined to do it, he'd be labelled a racist.

We get it. People get racial abuse. But McClean continually gets sectarian abuse. Others get it for being ginger, bald, Scottish, Irish, Mexican, tall, short, fat, wearing glasses, etc.

J70

Quote from: BennyCake on June 11, 2021, 12:43:29 PM

But like the poppy, if you don't wear one, you're a target for abuse. Wilfred Zaha stopped doing it,and that was grand, but if a white player declined to do it, he'd be labelled a racist.

We get it. People get racial abuse. But McClean continually gets sectarian abuse. Others get it for being ginger, bald, Scottish, Irish, Mexican, tall, short, fat, wearing glasses, etc.

Seriously?

You think this is about name-calling?

BennyCake

Quote from: J70 on June 11, 2021, 12:46:29 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on June 11, 2021, 12:43:29 PM

Seriously?

You think this is about name-calling?

No, but there are other forms of abuse directed at players (and in life in general), which seems to have been lost and forgotten about amid this BLM campaign.

I'm not saying it's acceptable to racially abuse players, but neither is it acceptable to abuse them for their looks, build, being a certain nationality, etc.