Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: trailer on April 29, 2019, 01:13:05 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on April 29, 2019, 12:24:12 PM
Lukaku was such an underwhelming signing. When you consider he's meant to be Uniteds main goal scorer. It's depressing.

Vardy would have been a much better signing at probably half the price.

Utd often signed 29 and 30 year old CF. Sherringham and RVP just 2 examples. Listen those 2 probably better options right now than Lukaku. Ans Sherringham must near 50!
Lukaku is so limited. His 1st touch is so poor it's not funny. He is obese. He never gives an interview and that's probably because he  stuffing his face with buns post match. Not a Manchester United player!!

I nearly choked on my lunch reading that!  ;D (and it wasn't a bun).

Sheringham is about 53, but he was always in decent shape. Probably still is now.

screenexile

Quote from: thewobbler on April 29, 2019, 12:32:26 PM
Has any goalkeeper that took a full nosedive, ever recovered?

I can't think of any. Once the bangers go between the sticks, they never come back.

David Seaman??

J70

I can't think of any. Once the bangers go between the sticks, they never come back.

Grobbelaar had quite a few horror shows in his first season at Liverpool. And given that he used to come flying out for every cross that even went near the goal box, he'd still cost them the odd goal every season. Yet he soldiered through it developed into a top keeper, partly thanks to (like DeGea) his amazing agility and reflexes.

I wouldn't see any reason why DeGea should be written off. He has been mostly flawless for the past five years. We're not talking about Karius here. Maybe needs a change of scenery.

NAG1

Quote from: J70 on April 29, 2019, 03:55:12 PM

Grobbelaar had quite a few horror shows in his first season at Liverpool. And given that he used to come flying out for every cross that even went near the goal box, he'd still cost them the odd goal every season. Yet he soldiered through it developed into a top keeper, partly thanks to (like DeGea) his amazing agility and reflexes.

I wouldn't see any reason why DeGea should be written off. He has been mostly flawless for the past five years. We're not talking about Karius here. Maybe needs a change of scenery.

I think this De Gea thing is being blown out of proportion, he has had a blip for the first time since his early days at the club. He looks like a lad that needs the summer break, like a few of them. If he stays at the club, the break will do him good and hopefully when he returns next season he will have a back 4 in front of him that can get up to his level of performance over the past number of seasons.

BennyCake

Quote from: screenexile on April 29, 2019, 02:20:00 PM

David Seaman??

Never rated Seaman. Decent enough shotstopper but his feet were always nailed to the floor, and couldn't jump.

gawa316

David James and Brad Friedel were both brutal at Liverpool but went on to have more than decent careers

BennyCake

It's only those that were sold on from big clubs that were considered failures, as their mistakes were more high profile. Some keepers just find their level.

Ben Foster wasn't up to it at United, but has come good lately at Watford. Same with Tim Howard.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: NAG1 on April 29, 2019, 04:11:22 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 29, 2019, 03:55:12 PM

I think this De Gea thing is being blown out of proportion, he has had a blip for the first time since his early days at the club. He looks like a lad that needs the summer break, like a few of them. If he stays at the club, the break will do him good and hopefully when he returns next season he will have a back 4 in front of him that can get up to his level of performance over the past number of seasons.

Hardly a blip. Was brutal for Spain last summer and form has been generally poor since. United should cash in on him now.

BennyCake

He nearly signed for Real 2 or 3 years ago. And Real didn't come in for him again, so that says a lot.

I was hoping he'd have a good World Cup so he could leave. That was his chance to impress the likes of Real and get his preferred move. But he was terrible, and United are stuck with him. What other big team would go for him now? Especially after recent howlers. They all seem to have decent keepers.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: BennyCake on April 29, 2019, 06:33:43 PM
It's only those that were sold on from big clubs that were considered failures, as their mistakes were more high profile. Some keepers just find their level.

Ben Foster wasn't up to it at United, but has come good lately at Watford. Same with Tim Howard.

Re Ben Foster, check out Wolves winner from Saturday.

thewobbler

It's just that De Gea's form reminds me of the demise of Paul Robinson, Joe Hart, Jim Leighton. A steady and reliable presence that once standards dropped a little, could'nt stop mistaking mistakes. I wouldn't compare him to Grobelaar, who was always an eccentric, or James, who always looked the part but always made mistakes too. It was his reliability marked him out for the past 3-4 years.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on April 29, 2019, 08:43:24 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on April 29, 2019, 06:33:43 PM

Re Ben Foster, check out Wolves winner from Saturday.

Or the only goal of the game against Arsenal recently.

johnnycool

Quote from: thewobbler on April 29, 2019, 08:51:53 PM
It's just that De Gea's form reminds me of the demise of Paul Robinson, Joe Hart, Jim Leighton. A steady and reliable presence that once standards dropped a little, could'nt stop mistaking mistakes. I wouldn't compare him to Grobelaar, who was always an eccentric, or James, who always looked the part but always made mistakes too. It was his reliability marked him out for the past 3-4 years.

Leightons head must have been totally gone when Ferguson bust his balls to get Les Sealey in double quick pronto for the FA Cup replay IIRC.

This was a man who'd followed Ferguson down from Aberdeen.

Ferguson was a ruthless hoor and needed to be.

magpie seanie

Quote from: johnnycool on April 30, 2019, 11:36:02 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on April 29, 2019, 08:51:53 PM

Leightons head must have been totally gone when Ferguson bust his balls to get Les Sealey in double quick pronto for the FA Cup replay IIRC.

This was a man who'd followed Ferguson down from Aberdeen.

Ferguson was a ruthless hoor and needed to be.

United would have lost that replay if Leighton had started. No doubts. I felt sorry for him but it was the right decision for the team and the club. Leighton was a brilliant keeper at his peak.

Maroon Manc

A quick look here can see some of the problems United have in terms of fitness

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2019/statistics/round=2000980/players/index.html

Martial's & don't make for good reading when compared against players in similar positions. Pogba's probably not as bad although if their were stats for sprints he'd be near the bottom of it, does more strolling about the pitch than most.

Been told those running stats improved when Ole took over.