Down v Armagh (Park Esler 16:00) 19/05/2019

Started by illdecide, May 06, 2019, 10:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Can't believe this has come around so quick and can't believe the little hype there has been. Sunday week and hardly a mention.

Anyway, it just came into my head when i was passing by this afternoon so just had a nosy for tickets and there was not a big selection left. I took the town terrace as i'm bringing my 10 year old son and I'm not 100% sure where that terrace/stand is but i think it's behind the goal and we've been allocated a seat number so assume it the we small section to the side of the bottom goal.

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

illdecide

On the match itself...Armagh have the slightly better team than Down and have been playing in a higher division than Down but that won't matter one iota. Down are always hard to beat in Newry no matter who they are playing but surely Armagh will win a first round Ulster game under KMcG going into the fifth year... We all know what happened 2 years ago going in as favourites

BennyCake

You'd think McGeeney can't go 5 years without a win in Ulster. Football don't work like that though. It's a 50-50 game.

If there's a draw, will there be extra time? Or go straight to a replay?

balladmaker

All the pressure will be on McGeeney for this game.  To go a 5th season as Armagh Manager without a win in the Ulster Championship would be an awful record.  The game is 50/50, there'll be little between them at the end I reckon.

Season ticket question: as the season ticket also covers first round of the championship, I assume it's just scanned at the gate at Pairc Esler ... But how do I know what stand or terrace that it admits to for an all ticket game? 

Orior

Both sets of supporters playing their chances down. It will be very different when the ball is thrown in.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

tonto1888

Quote from: Orior on May 07, 2019, 05:02:25 PM
Both sets of supporters playing their chances down. It will be very different when the ball is thrown in.

I think we are capable of blowing down away but it's more than likely to be a bit of an arm wrestle like last time out

BennyCake

Not seen Down play this year, but I'm not sure where Armagh's scores will come from. Clarke rarely get more than 0-3, Campbell same. Even less if one or both are curtailed by Down defence. Grugan might chip in with the bulk, but I can't see us putting up a big score.

I just have a feeling, home advantage and a more prolific scorer in O'Hare will see Down over the line by 1 or 2 points.

seafoid

Armagh should be a few points better than Down but the McGeeney factor means they are fragile .
4 years of losing matches in Ulster is suboptimal.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

illdecide

Dunno if i could take it again walking out of that ground again having lost to a bad Down team, surely Armagh will win this one!!! KMcG will be under big P if he's on the wrong end of another loss. A run in the qualifiers will make everyone forget again ::)

balladmaker

Hard to believe this game is in 6 days time given the lack of talk or any sort of hype.  Shows how times have changed and where the Provincial Championships presently sit with the supporters.

Aristo 60

Quote from: illdecide on May 06, 2019, 10:32:07 PM
On the match itself...Armagh have the slightly better team than Down and have been playing in a higher division than Down but that won't matter one iota. Down are always hard to beat in Newry no matter who they are playing but surely Armagh will win a first round Ulster game under KMcG going into the fifth year... We all know what happened 2 years ago going in as favourites

Down are easy enough beat in Newry going on league form. Season ticket holders will have tickets emailed or posted to them I think. I've mine. Section G, which is fair enough.

Very low key is right. Need a bust up in the first 5 minutes to remind us all who we are / once were!

balladmaker

QuoteI've mine. Section G, which is fair enough.

What's the layout of the stand, how many sections ... A - ?

Aristo 60

A is the first stand section at the road end
E is the centre section
I think it might go on to H or J

This stuff never matters in the Dr McK or league!

bennydorano

This thread gives us a great indicator of the future prospects of the USFC, they're not good. I expect a similar shit show to the last one, toss of a coin to see who wins.

I might try and avoid the score until the deferred coverage starts at 7pm on BBC2. Thats how interested I am these days.

Ambrose

It pains me to say this, but Armagh will win this with ease. That's not to say they are any great shakes, but this is one of the poorest Down teams I have ever seen. While we were unlucky to miss out on promotion, we had an awful lot of luck and could easily have been relegated. Losing to Louth was inexcusable.
Armagh to win by 6 or 7 points and a stay of execution for the McGeeney gravy train.
You can't live off history and tradition forever