Did the South fail Northern catholics ?

Started by seafoid, January 17, 2022, 07:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franko

Quote from: seafoid on January 18, 2022, 03:13:00 PM
Quote from: Franko on January 18, 2022, 02:21:17 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 18, 2022, 10:49:12 AM
The Shinner narrative is very alluring but I think it it ignores 2 key facts :

1. In 1922 the UK was the dominant global economic power and sterling was the global currency. The South had SFA leverage
2. NI has some form of group trauma and any UI will need to planned over a number of decades if it is to fly.  There is no way it will happen in the short term.

Telling response.  Morrison's letter mentions events in the 1960's, 1970 and 1984.

As the first point of your rebuttal to defend the actions of the government, you conveniently choose the political situation in 1922.
Morrison is an ideologues. NI in 1984 was the most violent region in Western Europe. I remember the first ceasefire. People in Dublin couldn't believe it. We were so used to the nihilism on the news.

I think the Shinners need to do outreach work to all the people in the Republic who think NI is a different country.

With all due respect, this is a load of drivel.

Snapchap

Quote from: armaghniac on January 18, 2022, 05:05:07 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on January 18, 2022, 11:23:52 AM

1. In 1922 the UK was the dominant global economic power and sterling was the global currency. The South had SFA leverage
2. NI has some form of group trauma and any UI will need to planned over a number of decades if it is to fly.  There is no way it will happen in the short term.

So the north was lumped into the category of "foreign affairs" by successive southern governments because of the strength of the pound?

You can argue this both ways. The North might be regarded as a "home" affair, but the use of the term Foreign Affairs for dealing with the British government is some of a response to their attempt to claim Ireland and have their Imperial office deal with it.

lol now that's a creative imagination!

Franko

Quote from: armaghniac on January 18, 2022, 05:05:07 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on January 18, 2022, 11:23:52 AM

So the north was lumped into the category of "foreign affairs" by successive southern governments because of the strength of the pound?

You can argue this both ways. The North might be regarded as a "home" affair, but the use of the term Foreign Affairs for dealing with the British government is some of a response to their attempt to claim Ireland and have their Imperial office deal with it.

That's quite the reach there  ;D ;D

The desperate grasping for the slightest justification in this thread is a sight to behold

armaghniac

The British are foreigners, are they not?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Franko

general_lee

Banagher allegedly on the receiving end of some anti-northern sentiment in their AI intermediate hurling semi..

clarshack

Snapchap

If you want a textbook example of how the south has historically abandoned northern nationalism, consider how utterly absurd it it that when Micheal Martin turns up at the Bloody Sunday 50th Anniversary this weekend, it will be the very first time a sitting Taoiseach will have done so. Let that sink in. Contrast that with the fact that Taoisigh are an annual fixture at the Enniskillen Bombing Memorial and you can see the mindsets/motivations at play.

I know I posted this link a few weeks ago on another thread, but for the weekend that's in it, it's worth reposting it. It's a video where Eamon McCann recounts the way their campaign was ignored/resisted by the southern establishment. Shocking to listen to:

https://twitter.com/DanielCollins85/status/1267451641600659458?t=qhHsRdSFRcyT1zns9K5ipQ&s=19