Women & Weddings - WTF?!

Started by bennydorano, October 02, 2014, 07:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

This has the makings of a classic thread. Some deadly rants in there!

Last wedding I was at was in Vegas. Mate from school flew in with a small party of friends and family and I flew over and joined him. Got married in a wee wedding chapel his first words coming out as a married man were "right byes, let's find a pub somewhere till we watch this match." Ireland was in a World Cup qualifier that day.

Took a handful of photos at the Las Vegas sign, went to a bar for a lok of drinks, to a buffet for dinner (he said a few words and that was all the formalities) and to the Chandelier bar for the rest of the night. Hard to bate. I'd say he had more of a hand in planning it than she did.

WT4E

Quote from: BennyCake on October 03, 2014, 12:35:09 PM
On the tan issue - why do women need to look like they have fallen into a bucket of custard? Can their mates or mothers not have a word and tell them how ridiculous they look.

Seen photos lately of a night out my niece had a few weeks ago. All caked up like geishas or something. But one of her mates, 19 or 20, absolutely beautiful girl, looked a mess. Like she had her make up applied with Homer's make up gun. There was no need for her to have anything other than the lips and eyes done. I didn't even recognise her. Why do they feel that this is attractive or what men find attractive? Jesus it was brutal.

Just picking up on the tan and dolling up of women - for weddings is bad but I have heard of womens football players having tan done and wearing make up for football - how sad is that - one tyrone club team in particular from what I hear.  :o

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: WT4E on October 10, 2014, 11:55:09 AM
On the tan issue - why do women need to look like they have fallen into a bucket of custard? Can their mates or mothers not have a word and tell them how ridiculous they look.

Seen photos lately of a night out my niece had a few weeks ago. All caked up like geishas or something. But one of her mates, 19 or 20, absolutely beautiful girl, looked a mess. Like she had her make up applied with Homer's make up gun. There was no need for her to have anything other than the lips and eyes done. I didn't even recognise her. Why do they feel that this is attractive or what men find attractive? Jesus it was brutal.

Just picking up on the tan and dolling up of women - for weddings is bad but I have heard of womens football players having tan done and wearing make up for football - how sad is that - one tyrone club team in particular from what I hear.  :o

Mucksavage-tastic!!!!

Under Lights

11 Weddings this year including the Mrs' Brother's coming up  :-[

muppet

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 10, 2014, 11:59:35 AM

Mucksavage-tastic!!!!

Great word.

You should twat Des Cahill to use it on The Sunday Game.
MWWSI 2017

RedHand88

Resurrecting an ancient thread because I think its still relevant today...

Since the last post, over 8 years have passed, a period of time where weddings were reduced to minimalist events due to a global pandemic (including my own), and have  recently resurfaced to become even bigger over exorbitant displays of wealth (debt).
What have you noticed at recent weddings that have made you stop and think "Notions"?
Was it the 3rd band of the weekend? The second day bbq? The "pre-wedding party" the weekend before? What about the fireworks display or the Hollywood worthy film crew going for a close up on your face as you made your way into a chapel in the arse of nowhere whilst your mind was firmly set on the pints you would be drinking later?

markl121

engaged there recently myself and finding the whole thing wild. Herself and myself are after something fairly reserved, 30-40 close friends and family max. Finding this nearly impossible to get for a weekend where they all want 100+ guests minimum and for you to sell x amount of rooms. Looking at abroad as a viable option and don't mind paying a but more per head when its actually people you want to be there and no every obscure relative under the sun who's wedding I was apparently at.

Her ones are mad for the fairytale wedding and trying to tell her what she wants and doesn't want. "You haven't done your official engagement instagram post yet" "You can't get married on this day or that day" We have discussed eloping and saying nothing to no-one. My neighbour got engaged there and her man had hired a photographer for a professional photoshoot of their dog (yes the dog) and then while this was ongoing he proposed so they have full professional pics of the whole damn thing.

We are very conscious of it only being one day and no-one will remember it after a week, also very conscious of it being our day and our choice so I really don't want other people paying for it for us. Will be telling ones no giftsand post all the pictures online that yous want, I don't care.
Finding it very hard to get somewhere on a weekend that will even cater to us, the whole industry is pushing for the huge fairytale wedding style shite.

Tony Baloney

It is definitely got worse in recent years. I was at a cousin's wedding last year and there was 3 photographers and a drone operator  :-\. They had a harpist play all through the meal, so you could hardly hear the person sitting next to you. At an in-laws wedding where there was a falling out in the wedding party as the bride kept ordering people outside for more photos and they were all starving! The same pair posted an engagement photo when they got engaged where he "surprised" her on holiday which was all captured on camera. Turns out they had several goes at it to get the right photo so she had to look surprised more than once! The world is a mad place.

It is called the wedding industry for a reason! It is designed to extract every last cent from you and Instragram has just exacerbated the whole thing. However, people can choose not to follow social media. Spend what you are comfortable with, so you're not carrying debt out of it and invite who you want.

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: markl121 on May 01, 2023, 01:25:35 AM
engaged there recently myself and finding the whole thing wild. Herself and myself are after something fairly reserved, 30-40 close friends and family max. Finding this nearly impossible to get for a weekend where they all want 100+ guests minimum and for you to sell x amount of rooms. Looking at abroad as a viable option and don't mind paying a but more per head when its actually people you want to be there and no every obscure relative under the sun who's wedding I was apparently at.

Her ones are mad for the fairytale wedding and trying to tell her what she wants and doesn't want. "You haven't done your official engagement instagram post yet" "You can't get married on this day or that day" We have discussed eloping and saying nothing to no-one. My neighbour got engaged there and her man had hired a photographer for a professional photoshoot of their dog (yes the dog) and then while this was ongoing he proposed so they have full professional pics of the whole damn thing.

We are very conscious of it only being one day and no-one will remember it after a week, also very conscious of it being our day and our choice so I really don't want other people paying for it for us. Will be telling ones no giftsand post all the pictures online that yous want, I don't care.
Finding it very hard to get somewhere on a weekend that will even cater to us, the whole industry is pushing for the huge fairytale wedding style shite.

Your wedding, your money, your choice. Do what pleases both of you and forget about everyone else. You'll have a much better day for it.

brokencrossbar1

Got married recently. Being that bit older a lot of the bullshit was not appropriate and the wedding venue recognised that but I could see how younger couples could be badly influenced. We were at a few weddings last year and there were a few instances of notions. No horse drawn carriages or the like but one thing in particular was very cringe worthy. The speeches were so co-ordinated with clear planned 'jokes'. There was nearly an hour of pure nonsense. The father of the bride read out a poem that he 'picked' according to him. He was so uncomfortable reading it that it was embarrassing. Our speeches last 10 minutes, she and I spoke and that was it.

We did the ceremony ourselves too. Humanist wedding and basically we wrote the whole lot and had friends doing the music. 30 minutes start to finish. More time for everyone to enjoy themselves!  Keep it simple and have people who you really want there. There was no one there who we 'had' to have there. It's your big day so do it as you please. If you're having to get official engagement stuff and that then you're getting lost in the bullshit. Our engagement photo was taken off her iPhone balancing on a wall!  People genuinely thought it was professional simply because we were both so happy!

Brick Tamlin

They're at the botox now I hear.
Painting yourself orange wasn't enough for them but they now have to inject poison into their faces in the search for beauty.
Tatood eyebrows too.
Worlds cowped.

seafoid

Seen photos lately of a night out my niece had a few weeks ago. All caked up like geishas or something. But one of her mates, 19 or 20, absolutely beautiful girl, looked a mess. Like she had her make up applied with Homer's make up gun. There was no need for her to have anything other than the lips and eyes done. I didn't even recognise her. Why do t
hey feel that this is attractive or what men find attractive? Jesus it was brutal.

Fake tan is very popular among camogie players.

LC

Easy to get sucked into the extras that the venue try to sign you up to, the way we looked at it at the time it made sense that if we were going to go big on anything  do so for the honeymoon instead of the wedding.  Our wedding was basic enough but splashed out on the honeymoon in terms of going to the States and doing a Caribbean cruise, no regrets.

Nanderson

Quote from: seafoid on May 01, 2023, 09:48:14 AM

Seen photos lately of a night out my niece had a few weeks ago. All caked up like geishas or something. But one of her mates, 19 or 20, absolutely beautiful girl, looked a mess. Like she had her make up applied with Homer's make up gun. There was no need for her to have anything other than the lips and eyes done. I didn't even recognise her. Why do t
hey feel that this is attractive or what men find attractive? Jesus it was brutal.

Fake tan is very popular among camogie players.
Fake tan is to camogie what skin fades are to footballers. Always makes you play better and look better ;D

bennydorano

Had a wedding abroad last year (best man), was fantastic. A lot of middle aged people knocking about so a lot less people who give a shit about what others think. Fair amount of hallions as well tbf made it a great couple of days. More pressure on the Instagram generation.