Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nanderson

Quote from: Smurfy123 on September 29, 2017, 08:12:29 AM
Anyone hear Frank Dawson got the sack from Ballymartin during the week?
Heard that last night anyone confirme?
What club team in Down will take him next year?
Heard he walked before he was pushed. For someone who is getting paid to manage clubs he surely has a very poor recent record since the late 00's/ early 10's.

Targetman

Congrats to Kilcoo 6 titles in a row is a serious achievement, thought Burren were really up for it in the first half especially but couldn't keep it going, Kilcoo eventually got a bit of momentum in the second half and I suppose were deserved winners without hitting anywhere near top form, they'll have to step it up to beat slaughtneil

elk

Burren just weren't good enough again!
It's amazing how this group of Kilcoo lads  still have the hunger to win another title, good luck to them in Ulster

Hedgehunter

The minor game was the best game I've seen all year.. a credit to both teams who went at it all game. A tough way to lose for clonduff but they have some serious footballers, young Devlin was outstanding. Then in Liam Kerr Burren have a rolls Royce of a footballer..

Mourne Rover

Today was probably Kilcoo's poorest final display in their outstanding six in row run, but they still had the organisation and the grit to get over the line. While Burren dominated the first half, they were only a point in front at the break and there was an inevitably about the result as soon as Kilcoo edged ahead. Kilcoo have a top class defensive system but they lost the Ulster final last year because their forwards were not good enough on the day. They were only marginally better today, and relied largely on Dylan Ward's long range points to see them home. Ryan Johnston was carrying an injury, while both Jerome Johnston and Conor Laverty found little space and the rest of their attack did not really function. They will need a distinct improvement up front if they are going to beat Slaughtneil in Newry in a fortnight.

The minor final was a far better game between two closely matched sides who were ready and able to score goals when they were required. Burren showed great determination to snatch it in the last seconds of injury time but the Clonduff management made a very curious decision in replacing their keeper with a couple of minutes to go. His kick outs had been mixed but he was decent from play and his replacement was pretty clearly still getting used to to the pace of the contest when he was outjumped by a Burren forward for the decisive goal at the death.

PAULD123

I agree that this was probably the worst Kilcoo display in their six victories. But also it was a better side they faced. The big problems would be that they never seem to have a full forward available when they turnover possession and so can't transition to attack quickly. The other massive problem is that they have no midfield. Burren out-marked them all game long.

On the plus side Kilcoo are a fantastic defensive unit.

downjim

First of all congrats to Kilcoo, to come back to the well again is a great achievement.
If they beat the Derry champions then will win Ulster. But I cannot see it as their midfield is poor and they do not have much height in their defence. I do not think they have been a great team to watch over the years but for grinding out results, the best I have ever seen.

Smurfy123

Great win for Kilcoo yesterday in what I thought was a great game?.
Fair play to Burren for a good performance
Some achievement for Kilcoo
They are the masters of grinding out results
They will never be known for a great footballing side but great champions

6th sam

Quote from: Smurfy123 on October 02, 2017, 12:19:01 PM
Great win for Kilcoo yesterday in what I thought was a great game?.
Fair play to Burren for a good performance
Some achievement for Kilcoo
They are the masters of grinding out results
They will never be known for a great footballing side but great champions

They've been "grinding out" a brave few results over the past 9 years to take home 7 championships!
Kilcoo have quality footballers all over the field at all levels, thanks to a commitment to excellence over many years. Their individual ,and collective , decision making sets them apart, and both themselves and Burren made yesterday's game enjoyable and competitive.
Dublin , similarly have "ground out" all their All-ireland finals by a point or two , over roughly the same period, but in reality these teams are  top of the pile because they have the best footballers overall.
Congrats to Kilcoo, and like Ballygalget and our other Representatives, I wish them well in their Ulster campaign.

snoopdog

The County set up could learn a lot from kilcoo in terms of development structures. How big is kilcoo parish anytime I've been through it it doesn't look too big.

Lecale Gael

Quote from: snoopdog on October 03, 2017, 06:19:36 PM
The County set up could learn a lot from kilcoo in terms of development structures. How big is kilcoo parish anytime I've been through it it doesn't look too big.

quite a big catchment area
2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

ardtole

There are a lot of clubs bordering kilcoo, I wouldn't think they have a particularly large catchment area.

RadioGAAGAA

The last census (2001) had us at ~1400 in the parish, but I'd reckon its pushed up since then. I'd guess at somewhere around 1600-1800.
i usse an speelchekor

Targetman

Comprehensive wins for Burren and Kilcoo in u14 and u16 championship finals today

downjim

Has anyone a complete list of the current championship holders from u14 to seniors including u21s??