Doire v Tir Eoghain, Celtic Park, Sat 1st Feb & on Setanta Sports 1

Started by Fuzzman, January 22, 2014, 03:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Under Lights

clarshack

that's an ordinary enough tyrone team tbh. wouldnt be confident of beating derry in celtic park with that starting 15.

nrico2006

Quote from: clarshack on January 31, 2014, 11:29:50 AM
that's an ordinary enough tyrone team tbh. wouldnt be confident of beating derry in celtic park with that 15.

Dunno how it can be classed as ordinary when its effectively the new generation coming through and is filled with youth.  The majority of them are unproven at senior level but have had major success at underage level.  Im glad that Harte is giving them the game time as the more they play and play together at this level then the quicker they will find their feet and excel, something which I am confident they will do.  Harte did the same back in 2000 to 2003 in the league, and it took a lot of games for the like of Mulligan, SON, BMG etc to relaly find their feet and stand out.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

J OGorman

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 31, 2014, 11:33:00 AM
that's an ordinary enough tyrone team tbh. wouldnt be confident of beating derry in celtic park with that 15.

Dunno how it can be classed as ordinary when its effectively the new generation coming through and is filled with youth.  The majority of them are unproven at senior level but have had major success at underage level.  Im glad that Harte is giving them the game time as the more they play and play together at this level then the quicker they will find their feet and excel, something which I am confident they will do.  Harte did the same back in 2000 to 2003 in the league, and it took a lot of games for the like of Mulligan, SON, BMG etc to relaly find their feet and stand out.

in terms of a team being rated, say poor / ordinary / good, I'd say ordinary is decent in terms of a description of this Tyrone team. You cant class them as poor and they havent done (had time) to do enough to be described as good

You're fierce sensitive  / confident when it comes to Tyrone. Be nice if Derry tanked you bucks the mora night. Paypacket spent on new Rocksolid denims and no points :-)

Walter Cronc

Errr Harte took charge in 2003 and even the most optimistic Tyrone fan surely doesn't think this crop are anywhere near the level of the aforementioned.

nrico2006

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 31, 2014, 12:35:55 PM

Errr Harte took charge in 2003 and even the most optimistic Tyrone fan surely doesn't think this crop are anywhere near the level of the aforementioned.

Yes he did, but my point was that from 2000 on there was a plethora of the underage stars who were given a lot of game time in order to get comfortable at that level.  Its ok looking back now and knowing how good Steven O'Neill, Brian McGuigan, Mulligan became, but at the turn of the century they were in the same boat as a lot of the younger players coming through now.  They all have experienced similar levels of success, and who can say that in ten years time people won't be talking about Ronan O'Neill, Shay McGuigan, Peter Harte, Conan Grugan etc.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Walter Cronc

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 31, 2014, 01:35:07 PM

Yes he did, but my point was that from 2000 on there was a plethora of the underage stars who were given a lot of game time in order to get comfortable at that level.  Its ok looking back now and knowing how good Steven O'Neill, Brian McGuigan, Mulligan became, but at the turn of the century they were in the same boat as a lot of the younger players coming through now.  They all have experienced similar levels of success, and who can say that in ten years time people won't be talking about Ronan O'Neill, Shay McGuigan, Peter Harte, Conan Grugan etc.

The one difference with their peers is the U21 step up. Tyrone have failed at this grade for a number of years now despite their minor success.

nrico2006

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 31, 2014, 01:41:04 PM

The one difference with their peers is the U21 step up. Tyrone have failed at this grade for a number of years now despite their minor success.

That would point to a problem in management as much as anything else.  Another factor I think that is overlooked often is the u-21 championship since 2005 or 2006 has been run off very early in the year in wintry conditions which suits the more physical, strong and well drilled teams as opposed to the best footballing teams.     

Walter Cronc

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 31, 2014, 02:08:02 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 31, 2014, 01:41:04 PM

That would point to a problem in management as much as anything else.  Another factor I think that is overlooked often is the u-21 championship since 2005 or 2006 has been run off very early in the year in wintry conditions which suits the more physical, strong and well drilled teams as opposed to the best footballing teams.     

::)

The Trap

God14

Club Rossa

Hopefully the heavens will open this weekend and we'll get a few of the more experienced boys back for the re-fixture ;)

theticklemister

Quote from: Club Rossa on January 31, 2014, 05:49:02 PM
Hopefully the heavens will open this weekend and we'll get a few of the more experienced boys back for the re-fixture ;)

What about the shopping trip?

trileacman

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 31, 2014, 02:08:02 PM

Dunno how you could say that. Munroe and Donnelly won the AI minor but couldn't make the respective step up when it came to U-21. They were easily the most qualified for the job at the time.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Redhand Santa

Hope the games goes ahead and I'm happy enough none of the older boys are back starting. The younger boys did everything asked of them in the McKenna cup and more so deserve their chance at this level. I'm looking forward to seeing how all the debutants get on and Mcbride at midfield. Also curious as to how the mattie Donnelly experiment at full forward will go.

Having said all that wouldn't be surprised if there is no game on!