Jimmy McGuinness

Started by here comes 6, September 27, 2012, 08:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Fairly obivious he lost the dressing room, considering his personality  and management style it's hardly surprising

ck

Quote from: twohands!!! on July 14, 2019, 11:59:07 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on June 17, 2019, 02:25:37 PM
Charlotte Independence won their first game without Jimmy yesterday 4-0 beating Birmingham Legion!

Since Jim was sacked Charlotte have played 6 games won 4 and drew 2.

That sort of turnaround in performance surely lengthens the odds of him getting another managerial gig.

That is a serious turnaround alright. To be so consistently poor and then suddenly consistently good certainly suggests things weren't well under Jimmy. I'm sure he'll use it to learn and move on. Would league of Ireland clubs be up to take him on now or would he be seen as too big a risk? Irish lads might be more receptive.

Hound

Quote from: ck on July 16, 2019, 04:19:30 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on July 14, 2019, 11:59:07 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on June 17, 2019, 02:25:37 PM
Charlotte Independence won their first game without Jimmy yesterday 4-0 beating Birmingham Legion!

Since Jim was sacked Charlotte have played 6 games won 4 and drew 2.

That sort of turnaround in performance surely lengthens the odds of him getting another managerial gig.

That is a serious turnaround alright. To be so consistently poor and then suddenly consistently good certainly suggests things weren't well under Jimmy. I'm sure he'll use it to learn and move on. Would league of Ireland clubs be up to take him on now or would he be seen as too big a risk? Irish lads might be more receptive.
From a pure football perspective it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for a LOI team to appoint him. But the interest it would create would be massive (in Irish club soccer terms anyway). If done properly they could get a sponsor to cover a lot of his costs given the extra exposure his appointment would create. I would say TV viewing figures for the first Friday night live game that features a team managed by McGuinness would be double or treble or more the usual viewing figures.

Still highly doubt it would happen. While of course there are quite a few fans who follow both LOI and GAA, there's a significant element of Dublin based LOI people who hate the GAA and would lobby hard against appointing a GAA name like McGuinness for fear he might be successful. 

GetOverTheBar

Serious Question - would LOI pay more than county management?

omaghjoe

In a way Donegal in the early noughties was the perfect storm for him.

Talented group of underachievers who needed a solid direction with a hardass methodology to get them on board. The fact that he was one of their own also helped their buy in

Would say he would struggle with another county let alone another country and sport.

skeog

I would say he would struggle counting his loot for his travels.

From the Bunker

Serious Question - Would a LOI club go for a Rookie Manager with his  limited playing and coaching experience. There are bound to be a queue of better qualified and more experienced personnel in the LOI? What does he know about the LOI?

square_ball

He'll end up back at Celtic with Neil Lennon.

From the Bunker

Quote from: square_ball on July 16, 2019, 09:58:15 PM
He'll end up back at Celtic with Neil Lennon.

Probably will end up in some minor role, which is probably his level in Association Football.

No shame on that.

seafoid

He might be happier as a corporate adviser or some kind of teacher
Soccer is a brutal business
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on July 16, 2019, 10:43:16 PM

That is why the rewards are good if you are good!

moysider

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 16, 2019, 09:07:21 PM
Serious Question - Would a LOI club go for a Rookie Manager with his  limited playing and coaching experience. There are bound to be a queue of better qualified and more experienced personnel in the LOI? What does he know about the LOI?

The idea of a LOI club taking on a GAA man as a manager is hilarious. A serious no-no. Serious hard-core soccer folk hate the GAA. I would suspect they neither know or care much about Jimmy McGuinness. They idea a league of Ireland club would have anything to do with him is daft imo.

twohands!!!

Quote from: skeog on July 16, 2019, 06:23:09 PM
I would say he would struggle counting his loot for his travels.

Be doing well if he covered the cost of his living and relocation expenses I'd imagine.

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 16, 2019, 10:44:52 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 16, 2019, 10:43:16 PM

That is why the rewards are good if you are good!
Yeah. But even if you are good you have a high chance of failure.
McGuinness has a family. At some point the dream has to start
producing returns . Other avenues are probably more promising.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GetOverTheBar

If Mayo have any sense they'll have an unformal chat. McGuinness would be all over that job I'd say.