Derry 1993 - 25 years on

Started by ONeill, August 17, 2018, 01:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on August 17, 2018, 06:08:29 PM
"Colin Corkery - a deceptive type of player.

He's slower than he looks"

Would beat any lad over 10 yards, but usually stood for a couple of minutes with his hands on his hips after a score.

imtommygunn

Sitting on the windowsill at the back of the cusack stand for the dublin game. It was a tight one. There was no way the final was being lost but touch and go against dublin.

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Over the Bar on August 17, 2018, 11:01:10 PM
The GAA bringing Derry v Donegal to newly laid Clones after weeks of wet weather was a disgrace. Lucky men didn't break legs.
[/quot
From memory one of the Derry Minors did get a  broken leg in the curtain raiser

imtommygunn

I think it was scullion from bellaghy?

Jeremiah O

Yeah was Cathal Scullion who broke his leg.
Gerald Cavlan had a super game that day.
I can vividly remember the huge crowds in Cookstown to welcome the Derry team.They got a great reception,well until they hit the bottom end of the town where the loyalists were waiting!
Unconquered and unconquerable

Fear ón Srath Bán

Was exiled in London at the time, and was genuinely thrilled that the Oak Leafers actually pulled it off (note, lenny ;) ).

That quagmire of an Ulster Final, watched in some Cricklewood joint with Strabane pals I hadn't seen in ages, remains ensconced in this noggin for one unforgettable reason only: Tohill! What an imperious display of midfield prowess in absolutely atrocious conditions.

Saw the Final in Hammersmith in, rather ironically, a pub called the "British Queen" -- this was in the days when one dare not be too choosy about where one might actually catch a game, old chap! ;)

If the Ulster Final was Tohill, then the AIF itself was Gormley, with Mc Gurk in a supporting role, and Cahalane by default, wishing no doubt he'd kept his mitts rather more to himself early on. Also remarkable in my mind for some Derry City buachaill who wandered in, straight out of a Dickens' novel with his "Derry" emblazoned top hat, and Artful Dodger great coat.

Agh... the good old days, before football was really invented... :P ;)

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

BennyHarp

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 18, 2018, 09:40:58 AM
Was exiled in London at the time, and was genuinely thrilled that the Oak Leafers actually pulled it off (note, lenny ;) ).

That quagmire of an Ulster Final, watched in some Cricklewood joint with Strabane pals I hadn't seen in ages, remains ensconced in this noggin for one unforgettable reason only: Tohill! What an imperious display of midfield prowess in absolutely atrocious conditions.

Saw the Final in Hammersmith in, rather ironically, a pub called the "British Queen" -- this was in the days when one dare not be too choosy about where one might actually catch a game, old chap! ;)

If the Ulster Final was Tohill, then the AIF itself was Gormley, with Mc Gurk in a supporting role, and Cahalane by default, wishing no doubt he'd kept his mitts rather more to himself early on. Also remarkable in my mind for some Derry City buachaill who wandered in, straight out of a Dickens novel with his "Derry" emblazoned top hat, and Artful Dodger great coat.

Agh... tbe good old days, before football was really invented... :P ;)

My abiding memory of that Ulster Final was Tyrone winning the minor game beforehand in the middle of a monsoon with Gerard Cavlin kicking points for fun. The first of many major inter county honours for a certain Mickey Harte. It was nice for the Derry ones to see it all begin.
That was never a square ball!!

screenexile

Never missed a match those days and followed the whole thing.

Marshes was great to finish so strong and Burnsy's goal was a great memory.

Monaghan match I can barely remember.

Donegal match was just horrific as a spectator but remember it being a real gutsy performance and as has been said there was just no way Derry were contemplating losing the match. Remember Cassidy's points and Barton's was excellent as well!

Dublin match was first class probably the best match I've been to. There were some great scores from both teams and it really could have went either way. Derrys leaders stood up though and the emotion flowing out after the match was like nothing I'd experienced before. It was the first time I got onto the Croke Park pitch which I never shut up about for a week.

The final was a bit surreal I had a ticket on my own in the Hogan Stand (daunting as an 11 year old) beside two older Cork fellas. Was slightly worried after the first 10/15 mins but when Davies went off I felt we would do it and we did.

I had to meet my uncle at the bottom of the stand so was behind Downey has he lifted the cup. Then as I waited at the bottom of the entry the whole team came walking past and I got a few pats on the head from my heroes. It was class!!!

Watched the "Gaelic Games" DVD numerous times over the years I've great memories of the whole Championship!

Jayop

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: ONeill on August 17, 2018, 01:56:12 PM
Memories?

A few, including...

The Dublin semi-final and Johnny McGurk's point.
The Ulster Final played in a monsoon.
Derry win playing five games; Armagh played six and didn't get to an Ulster Final.
Uhlsport gloves.
Enda Gormley's free-kick run up.
Cahalane's non red card.
Gormley's follow up point.
Tony Davis's red card.
Last match of the old Cusack Stand.
The look of amazement on Barton's face - standing in the bus - at the thousands of people applauding them on the streets of Armagh City on the Monday night.

pbat

Some great photos on facebook today showing last nights squad reunion.

BennyCake

haranguerer

Quote from: tintin25 on August 17, 2018, 09:48:39 PM
Loved heading to matches in the 90's with my father.  Obviously wasn't too much success where my own county (Fermanagh) was involved, but can remember heading to plenty of Ulster Championship games in that 92-95 period.  Pretty sure I went to all the Derry games in 1993 bar the final and similarly with Down in 1994.  I doubt too many neutrals would take in as many games these days.

Most games in the 90's beside us in Clones too - in every Sunday. Everyone getting in whatever way they could - there used to be crowds clambering onto the TV lorries which were pulled down the lane which would be the back of the gerry arthurs now and hopping over the fence from there.

JoG2

Jeez 'Screen and Estimator, you boys have quare memories. Like a good few, we were at all the games that year, you felt something special was gonna happen. So much so the club warned everybody that no membership, no final tix should Derry reach the final. Yet, low and behold, on the night the tickets were given out at the hall all hell near broke loose with normally sensible folk completely losing the run of the themselves. Each member got 2 tix, I got 2 for the Hill.

The Donegal game was surreal. Tohill put in the single best performance I've ever seen from a player, peerless. Great scenes on the pitch after. Mind shaking Gormley's hand and being struck by the condition the hoor was in. Apparently, maybe someone could verify the story, that Gormley had rehabed in Lilleshall (where the England soccer team trained) prior to the final.

Squad of us traveled in a 4 gear petrol Transit to the final. Christ she was thirsty. Mini-bus stopped outside Castleblaney when we came upon a local north Derry business man standing at the side of the road, wearing a full grey suit, red and white laces around his forehead, wrote clean off . He didn't say much, well he said plenty but none of it made any sense, but we reckon he was let out for another pee with those he was originally travelling down with and they drove off on him.  Stood just to the right of the old scoreboard at the Canal End. Unreal match and something else to beat the Dubs on their home turf. Straight to the Big Tree, drank stout for what seemed like hours waiting on the 2 mini-bus drivers..finally they landed arm in arm, sh1t-faced.

Travelled down to the final on the Friday morning. Booked into halls of residence on the southside. 4 of us booked a ground floor 2 bedroom job, opened the back window and let the other 8 boys in. 10 mins into the match itself and I didn't have the confidence some of the others above had. A few Meath men beside us at the back of the Hill kept telling us we'll win. Serious scenes at the end, we were still trying to make our way onto the pitch when Downey lifted Sam. The amount of heads you bumped into on the pitch was unreal, including a couple of protestants we knew growing up. Eventually landed back to the Big Tree again hoarce and shattered. One of our usual travelling gang who'd soldiered across to 'Screen for the league matches since we were knee height couldn't travel to the final due to sickness. We queued up at the payphone to call him, blubbering like big weans, a combination of the win and 3 days on the stout. Ended up in a place called McGraths on O'Connell street I think (not sure if it's still on the go). The upstairs dance floor was mental all night. The days after were a blur and I was thankful to get off to start uni to sober up !