Access Problems

Started by Lar Naparka, July 19, 2008, 11:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

I'm hoping some kind soul can help me out here.
I normally access this site using the same computer each time I log in.
I used to experience no difficulty whatever in doing this.
But on Thursday evening the situation changed and I can no longer log in from the computer in question.
I get a standard error message telling me that the site is unavailable or does not exist.
Furthermore, I have Opera, Firefox and IE installed and all basically give me the same result. I have checked my firewall settings and I don't think the problem lies there either.
So I sent a PM to gaaboardmod3 to see if I had been banned and I got a prompt and friendly reply. I was told there was no problem with my membership and the fault has to be at my end. (I can log in on other connections without any problems.)
Has anyone else ever experienced something like this or can anyone point me in the right direction.
If I have to I will go seek help on a computer help forum but I'm hoping before I do this that someone here might be able to help me.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

imtommygunn

There's an issue I mind seeing before which was something like this.(It was actually with some PC's and the Dublin marathon web-site).

The solution got quite involved though - I thought it may have been "rogue" stuff like spyware on the PC.

Primarily I'd troubleshoot by clearing cache, wiping cookies etc etc

Then I'd go down to running your AV software. (Download spybot or the like) Wipe anything that comes up.

If you're scuppered you could find one of those proxy sites which do the request for you. I have the link to one but can't at the minute find it.

There are forums out there which would be of greater help. If it's the same issue your HTTP error won't be a 404? (404 is the standard page not found but yours may be something different?)

ziggysego

Anytime I have to log in via my phone, it takes several attempts.
Testing Accessibility

imtommygunn

No this is not a dodgy site...

http://www.hidemyass.com

It's a web proxy - you should be able to access the site through that?

(Not a solution but a workaround till you get a solution...)

Lar Naparka

I have just found a solution to the problem. How it works is a complete mystery to me but I thought I'd mention it in case anyone else might need the workaround in future.

Gaaboardmod3 assured me that there was no question of either my username or my IP address being banned and that the problem must, somehow, lie at my end
I sometimes use Sandboxie, (www.sandboxie.com) when browsing about P2P sites or other ones that are prone to infect your system.
This program provides a 'sandbox,' a temporary cache to which all downloads are transferred and which is erased when the browsing session is ended. If you see something you do want to download, you need to bookmark it and then go back for it later when you are not in sandboxed mode.
I decided to run a sandboxed session and I got through to this site at my first attempt!
Why this is so is beyond me but I'm not complaining.

full back

Anyone having problems accessing the board?
Seems to be happening a lot recently

Minder

Quote from: full back on September 12, 2008, 11:58:12 AM

Yep, it seems to be going back to the way it was last year......
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ziggysego

Yeah, I've been reduced to tears several times over the few days. Oh and yes, noticed a few problems with the board too.
Testing Accessibility

the Deel Rover

ye it seems to be very slow these days thought it was something to do with my computer
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

full back

The Real Laoislad

Anyone having problems getting onto the board tonight?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

girt_giggler

ANyone know how I can get on Bebo at work??!! (its blocked) :o

Lar Naparka

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on September 17, 2008, 11:25:30 PM
Anyone having problems getting onto the board tonight?
Yes and almost every other night too.
I'd think it is the same problem that we had sometime last year- traffic overload.
Remember that the mod moved the board onto a new server and there had been discussions about regulars chipping in a few quid to pay for a faster server to host the site.
I think its time to start thinking about another move..

wherefromreferee?

Extremely slow today, anybody else finding it difficult to log in?
In your Endo!

armaghniac

I reckon the Kerry hacker mafia have sabotaged Gaaboard to stop Ulster people from slagging them.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B