Where the Heck is Glenconkeine?

Started by Lar Naparka, July 20, 2010, 01:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Hi everyone,
I'm doing a bit of genealogical research and it seems that some of my ancestors hailed from the Glenconkeine area.
I know Cookstown and Ballinascreen fairly well and I know this place is somewhere in between them but I don't know its exact location.

I'd be much obliged if someone here could pinpoint the place for me.

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Estimator

From Wiki

At one stage the parishes of Ballinascreen, Kilcronaghan, and Desertmartin formed an ancient district known as Glenconkeine (from Irish: Gleann Con Cadhan meaning "Glen of Cadhan's Hound"). Local legends allegedly state that the area was a gift of Brian Carrach O'Neill to Cadhan O'Henry for defeating a monstrous hound that was terrorising the region, however Donovan states that across the country many things appear to be attribuated to an areas last lord, as Brian Carrach O'Neill in this case was.[6] In 1821, John MacCloskey in his Statistical Reports of Six Derry Parishes, states Tobermore as being the capital settlement of Glenconkeine.

Hard to believe that Tobermore was ever the capital settlement of anything!
Ulster League Champions 2009

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Estimator on July 20, 2010, 01:33:35 PM
From Wiki

At one stage the parishes of Ballinascreen, Kilcronaghan, and Desertmartin formed an ancient district known as Glenconkeine (from Irish: Gleann Con Cadhan meaning "Glen of Cadhan's Hound"). Local legends allegedly state that the area was a gift of Brian Carrach O'Neill to Cadhan O'Henry for defeating a monstrous hound that was terrorising the region, however Donovan states that across the country many things appear to be attribuated to an areas last lord, as Brian Carrach O'Neill in this case was.[6] In 1821, John MacCloskey in his Statistical Reports of Six Derry Parishes, states Tobermore as being the capital settlement of Glenconkeine.

Hard to believe that Tobermore was ever the capital settlement of anything!

Thanks very much for your help. I think I can make my way to Tobermore. I don't expect to find anything there to help with my root digging. I'm going there out of curiosity more than anything else.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi