County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 21, 2022, 06:29:35 PM
Offaly man Pat Flanagan and current manager of Padraig Pearses has been nominated by Pearses to become the new Roscommon senior football manager.  Has said they know my CV and know where I am. 

Not sure if that would be a the right appointment for Roscommon, a good and successful club manager but has struggled to make any impact at county level.

I thought he'd been made Longford manager, or is that another Pat Flanagan?

Cunny Funt

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on August 21, 2022, 08:41:29 PM
Offaly man Pat Flanagan and current manager of Padraig Pearses has been nominated by Pearses to become the new Roscommon senior football manager.  Has said they know my CV and know where I am. 

Not sure if that would be a the right appointment for Roscommon, a good and successful club manager but has struggled to make any impact at county level.

Was linked to the Longford gig by the media and has said today

"It just baffles me at times to see where these stories come from; I've had absolutely no contact with Longford whatsoever"

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 21, 2022, 09:31:21 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on August 21, 2022, 08:41:29 PM

Was linked to the Longford gig by the media and has said today

"It just baffles me at times to see where these stories come from; I've had absolutely no contact with Longford whatsoever"

Thanks Cunny. I stand corrected.

The Subbie

Quote from: Main Street on August 18, 2022, 01:20:18 AM
Quote from: Schkite on August 14, 2022, 12:26:53 AM
Quote from: The Subbie on August 12, 2022, 10:40:08 PM
Is Counihan the man in Monaghan ??
The rumours are strong

Think so yeah
And yet there's no white smoke.  I fancy Jason Sherlock (not that he will get the job), he's had experience coaching for years with arguably the best ever GAA set up/ county team, he's been a player as well at the top level and I'd be confident that he has the wherewithal to select a good backroom team. And obviously he's highly motivated to be a successful county team manager as he's focused on getting the Monaghan job.
But as Banty says wisely, county team management is akin to running a medium to large sized business, so much to take care of.

Am hearing a dark horse from the occupied six counties has now entered the race
Comes from a relatively decent source but who the f**k knows what's going on
Heard that Jayo has now pulled a team together also & that Counihan wasn't fancied by a certain grouping of the squad ( the elder statesmen )

It's a f**king lottery
Still think we're going to end up with a total chancer

yellowcard

The Mayo management selection process is like a boy band audition process for the county cabal merry go round. I think its very likely McStay will get the job this time.

As for Monaghan, it would be daft to go for someone like Sherlock who is probably only going to take the job with a short term view. They need a complete rebuild and should be looking to make an appointment internally with the longer term intentions of the county at heart. I'd expect a raft of retirements in Monaghan as a lot of those players have their best days behind them.     

Blowitupref

Dublin GAA have appointed Micheál Donoghue as senior hurling manager for a three-year term.

Donoghue previously managed his native Galway, leading them to the All-Ireland SHC title in 2017.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Cunny Funt

Kevin McStay confirmed as the new Mayo senior manager.

Wildweasel74

Surprised  to be honest,  when he was doing commentary you never guess he was a Mayo man the way he put then down half the time, and have a live in for Dublin and Kerry.

Farrandeelin

Best of luck to McStay. In reality it's a poisoned chalice as only the big one will do and yet I personally think there'll be a few lean years for a while to come.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/kevin-mcstay-stands-down-as-roscommon-manager-1.3619529
Recognising the need for a new voice and direction in Roscommon football, and unable resolve some of the factors currently involved, Kevin McStay has called time on his position as manager.

Although in line to serve another two seasons, McStay leaves on amicable terms with the county board, and, interestingly, said his decision "marks my retirement from senior inter county football management" - thus ruling him out of the recently vacated Mayo management position, or indeed elsewhere.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Blowitupref

Quote from: seafoid on August 22, 2022, 08:24:57 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/kevin-mcstay-stands-down-as-roscommon-manager-1.3619529
Recognising the need for a new voice and direction in Roscommon football, and unable resolve some of the factors currently involved, Kevin McStay has called time on his position as manager.

Although in line to serve another two seasons, McStay leaves on amicable terms with the county board, and, interestingly, said his decision "marks my retirement from senior inter county football management" - thus ruling him out of the recently vacated Mayo management position, or indeed elsewhere.
And only last year on a radio interview he said he'd come out of inter County management retirement if the Mayo senior gig became available again.

Gael85

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 22, 2022, 08:01:55 PM
Surprised  to be honest,  when he was doing commentary you never guess he was a Mayo man the way he put then down half the time, and have a live in for Dublin and Kerry.

McStay hates Dublin but does have a horn for Kerry.

Wildweasel74

At least u officially took him off the air.

Rudi

Hopefully Solan or Dempsey will take a big huff & throw their lot in with Roscommon & save us from Flanagan.