Northern Ireland Football Team

Started by Feckitt, March 30, 2015, 12:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelg

Quote from: An Watcher on March 30, 2015, 10:50:47 PM
Can't believe the nonsense I'm reading on here. Wearing a gaa hoodie to Windsor park and it not being too bad. Good luck to anyone going to watch games there. It's only in very recent years that the IFA have tried to make Windsor more welcoming. I would have had more respect for them if they moved their ground to a different area. What respect does playing gstq show to baird, mcginn etc. Catch yerself on. U wouldn't have to scratch too far beneath the surface to find the Windsor of 30/40 years ago.
Good luck to anyone going to watch games there.  What exactly do you think is going to happen?

I would have had more respect for them if they moved their ground to a different area.  Not sure they could have afforded a move.  In any case, the Lisburn Road / Tates Avenue is now populated by students and Polish people etc.

What respect does playing gstq show to baird, mcginn etc.  The same argument could be applied to the playing of the Irish anthem at Ireland rugby matches.  In short, it's not that big a deal what anthem is or isn't played. 

50fiftyball

Quote from: T Fearon on March 30, 2015, 05:56:51 PM
Whatever about the politics I would venture to suggest that not too many Republic players would get into the current North of Ireland team.You would have to concede that Michael O'Neill is enhancing his reputation as an excellent young manager,destined for a big club job in England.

Comedy gold there T Fearon!

The group that Northern Ireland are in is a Mickey Mouse group compared to Republic's. Poland, Germany & Scotland would beat the pick of any of the teams in N.I's group. I mean, Romania top the group, and that's saying something.

Johnny Evans would start, possibly Gareth McAuley. as for the rest, Chris Brunt etc, no. Regardless of how they perform for the Republic, names like McLean, McCarthy, McGeady, Long, all would step into the Northern Ireland team at ease.

The Subbie

The mere thought of the north qualifying fills me with dread only because it will mean Jackie Fullerton been dug up again to lead the love in ably assisted by that insufferable p***k "winker" Watson.

general_lee

Quote from: 50fiftyball on March 31, 2015, 10:35:14 AM
Whatever about the politics I would venture to suggest that not too many Republic players would get into the current North of Ireland team.You would have to concede that Michael O'Neill is enhancing his reputation as an excellent young manager,destined for a big club job in England.

The group that Northern Ireland are in is a Mickey Mouse group compared to Republic's. Poland, Germany & Scotland would beat the pick of any of the teams in N.I's group. I mean, Romania top the group, and that's saying something.

Johnny Evans would start, possibly Gareth McAuley. as for the rest, Chris Brunt etc, no. Regardless of how they perform for the Republic, names like McLean, McCarthy, McGeady, Long, all would step into the Northern Ireland team at ease.
I reckon ROI would still make hard work of that group if they were in it, like they are currently doing at the minute. Germany are still hung-over from the WC, Poland are certainly beatable as are the Scots. Individually ROI are better hands down than NI, but as a team they are clearly not.

Most of the time international football is more about being organised, well drilled and disciplined, rather than just having good players. The NI team are punching above their weight and are almost playing like a club team. I for one hope they qualify, two teams to support the way I look at it.

foxcommander

Quote from: The Subbie on March 31, 2015, 10:51:37 AM
because it will mean Jackie Fullerton been dug up again

When did Jackie Fullerton die? Or is he a Zombie?
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

nrico2006

Quote from: general_lee on March 31, 2015, 10:59:51 AM
Quote from: 50fiftyball on March 31, 2015, 10:35:14 AM

I reckon ROI would still make hard work of that group if they were in it, like they are currently doing at the minute. Germany are still hung-over from the WC, Poland are certainly beatable as are the Scots. Individually ROI are better hands down than NI, but as a team they are clearly not.

Most of the time international football is more about being organised, well drilled and disciplined, rather than just having good players. The NI team are punching above their weight and are almost playing like a club team. I for one hope they qualify, two teams to support the way I look at it.

The most sensible post here yet.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Mikhailov

Windsor of 30+ years ago was not a pleasant place to go. Spain were a top team then (Butragueno, Hierro, Michel, Nadal et al) and a group of us were assured by some Protestant friends that all would be OK if we wanted to go down and see some world class players on view. It was a WC qualifier if memory serves me right around 1985/1986. Off we went, sat in top deck of stand and lo and behold we meet another few GAA lads from neighbouring club who were sat about 8-10 rows in front of us.

Spain quickly went into a 2 goal lead and sure enough one of our GAA friends from the neighbouring club got a wee bit braver and during a lull in the game he shouted back to us 'who won the minor game'??

Needless to say we went for a burger at HT and scampered on home....

JPGJOHNNYG

The Republic have some very good players and excuses like that they dont have any players playing at the big clubs is also rubbish. There are plenty of teams we have struggled against of late who have half their team playing club football for teams you have never even heard of. The problem with the Republic is they have forgotten how to win. The list of teams who we have beaten competitively in the last 15 years is nothing but minnows and there is an even bigger list of very average teams who we are incapable of beating and looks like Scotland and Poland are joiningg that rather long list of ridiculously average teams. At least Northern Ireland despite their limitations give it a go and as a result have beaten Spain, Russia, England, Sweden, Denmark  and many more since we last did anything. The only problem with the North is they have a tendency to lose to a Luxembourg or Faroe Islands every so often which wrecks their chances.
By the way Windsor park has improved unbelievably in 20 years however there is still a nasty core of fans, not many but significant. Ps the IFA had a great chance to deal with stadium location but decided to go for Windsor upgrade which not only stank of Linfield favourtism but kept the stadium in a very loyalist area despite some demographic shift. Thye also have run a mile from the anthem issue. When former player Paul McVeigh said it was something that needed changing the blazers and token Gerry all kidded themselves that it was a non-issue

gallsman

The Republic has some "very good" players? I would respectfully disagree. They have some good players who are solid members of teams/squads outside the top of the premiership. Beyond that they've a few decent lads. That's about the height of it.

Orior

I know someone who is a die hard Celtic fan (travelled over every week for about 10 years), and his son is a current Linfield player. He wouldnt cross the road to watch NI, but if it helps his sons career then so be it.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: gallsman on March 31, 2015, 04:51:07 PM
The Republic has some "very good" players? I would respectfully disagree. They have some good players who are solid members of teams/squads outside the top of the premiership. Beyond that they've a few decent lads. That's about the height of it.

Your missing my point. We are not a tier 1 nation but we should still be able to deal with the likes of Scotland, Poland, Austria, Sweden, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Montenegro, Israel, Switzerland etc fine and maybe even win the occasional match FFS. The current squad has 15 players playing at premiership teams compare that to Scotlands 8 and take Lewandowski and the goalkeepers out of that Poland squad and the rest is pretty brutal

gallsman

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on March 31, 2015, 05:24:16 PM
Quote from: gallsman on March 31, 2015, 04:51:07 PM

Your missing my point. We are not a tier 1 nation but we should still be able to deal with the likes of Scotland, Poland, Austria, Sweden, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Montenegro, Israel, Switzerland etc fine and maybe even win the occasional match FFS. The current squad has 15 players playing at premiership teams compare that to Scotlands 8 and take Lewandowski and the goalkeepers out of that Poland squad and the rest is pretty brutal

I disagree. Several of those are Tier 2 teams with a world class player or two and a few others who pay at the highest level repeatedly. We don't even have that.

T Fearon

I wouldn't bet on the outcome of a NI V Republic game today.NI have players from Man Utd and Liverpool,whereas the Republic rely on the spine of Derby Co,and those well past their sell by dates like Shay Given,and Robbie Keane.Away wins in Greece and Hungary are not to be sneezed at

Hereiam

Guy i know says that alot of the fans want their own anthem and flag. Problem is no one will take this on and make the change. Until this happens alot of the Catholic majority in the north will not set a foot in it.

laoislad

Quote from: T Fearon on March 31, 2015, 06:12:54 PM
I wouldn't bet on the outcome of a NI V Republic game today.NI have players from Man Utd and Liverpool,whereas the Republic rely on the spine of Derby Co,and those well past their sell by dates like Shay Given,and Robbie Keane.Away wins in Greece and Hungary are not to be sneezed at
It's pretty obvious who you'd be supporting though...
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.