1916 Celebrations

Started by Orior, March 04, 2016, 10:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

During the week, Ruth Dudley Edwards was having a go at Sinn Fein. Nothing unusual there.

Then Nelson McCausland having a dig at Crossmaglen Rangers for having a 1916 commemoration in their grounds.

Yet on the 12th July, we all have to take a days leave to celebrate protestant king william defeat catholic king james.

Are we to hang our head in shame because of what happened in 1916?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

T Fearon

Is the issue not political commemorations in sporting grounds?

We should all hang our heads in shame about 1916,and the legacy of a partitioned island neither part of which is remotely independent.

seafoid

Too many northern Prods won't tolerate any signs of Irish nationhood. Fair play to Arlene foster for making it to Christchurch for a CoI ceremony commemorating 1916. Nationalists should be proud to mark 1916. And 2002. And 2003
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyCake

Quote from: T Fearon on March 04, 2016, 10:33:23 PM
Is the issue not political commemorations in sporting grounds?

We should all hang our heads in shame about 1916,and the legacy of a partitioned island neither part of which is remotely independent.

No country is truly independent though. They are either run by unelected arseholes or squeezed by the balls by the worlds banks. Or both.

I'm interested in the history of 1916, but I won't be celebrating it. I wouldn't say we should be ashamedof 1916. Something like it was needed to ignite a fight for independence, quite rightly so. Partition was the result of what started with 1916 but had 32 counties gained independence, would things have been any less bloodier? You can't exactly ignore the fact that hundreds of thousands of Unionists in the North wished to remain under Britain, and they weren't exactly going to be easily put off that notion.

T Fearon

I too am interested in 1916 but am wondering what the point of it was,especially with the freestate having a collective nervous breakdown at the prospect of a Brexit (while bizarrely celebrating independence from Britain?),and conforming to German law.Tons of bloodshed North and South,massive emigration in search of work,then for a decade when there was economic prosperity it was totally mismanaged.

seafoid

Gaelscoileanna in Dublin. It was a unionist city before. A lot done but more to do on the 4th field.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

rrhf

Quote from: T Fearon on March 05, 2016, 07:20:13 AM
I too am interested in 1916 but am wondering what the point of it was,especially with the freestate having a collective nervous breakdown at the prospect of a Brexit (while bizarrely celebrating independence from Britain?),and conforming to German law.Tons of bloodshed North and South,massive emigration in search of work,then for a decade when there was economic prosperity it was totally mismanaged.
Yes it has been a mess, but contributed to by centuries of underdevelopment and lack of mature autonomous governance.  Belfast will continue to suffer and it will be history repeating itself from the pre 1916 period in Dublin when a relatively prosperous region was de prioritised by Westminster.     I really dont think Brexit will happen but if it did,  I would suspect that NI will suffer greatly.  The future of NI under Britain is very bleak indeed anyway as the England continues to serve its own demands first, an itchy Scotland second and that loyal puppy NI third.  The case for an economically united Ireland will come when those who see themselves as British are rewarded proportionately higher than their number politically and economically than those who see themselves as Irish.  ie in a positively discriminating all Ireland powersharing executive and in that context the rejoining of the commonwealth for identity purposes.  Now there's the tail wagging the dog!  DUP/unionism and Fine Gael with Fianna Fail/SDLP aligning as well.   Sinn Fein and labour would be the third grouping but ironically Sinn Fein could be obliterated under such an approach and this might suit some interests.  The approach must come from the South first but everything would be changed utterly. 

StGallsGAA

I see the PSNI are now wading in trying to connect 1916 celebrations with dissident activity.  A bit pathetic but what else would you expect?

T Fearon

I don't think it's factually incorrect for the PSNI to point out that dissidents are on a mission for a big spectacular to coincide with the Easter Rising anniversary.

Over the Bar

Of course it's factually incorrect.  Speculation is not fact.  The dissident head-bangers have been on a mission for a big spectacular since they formed.

Orior

Maybe I should have entitled the thread Commemeration instead of Celebration
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

T Fearon

Or Commemoration even😜

amanda

Quote from: StGallsGAA on March 05, 2016, 11:14:14 AM
I see the PSNI are now wading in trying to connect 1916 celebrations with dissident activity.  A bit pathetic but what else would you expect?
As Mr Spock would say, that's only logical thinking.
After all the Bonfires and shooting at the Police at Easter are connected

Applesisapples

A couple of points, Unionists of all hues have the knack to condemn Nationalism and Republicanism and any war or uprising that does not meet their strict definition of a just war, and they do it with out hint of embarrassment at their own double standards. Some so called nationalists on both sides of the border have a similar line on what constitutes good Anti British violence and bad. Secondly to be fair to the PSNI they obviously fear with good reason that dissidents want a Centenary Celebration of an explosive nature. Personally I don't really have much interest in marching to commemorate wars or violence of any historical note, be it 1916 or 1690.

Walter Cronc

Off topic - Have a few friends from overseas visiting Ireland during Easter week. Is there anything going on in Dublin related to the rising? Obviously taking them to Kilmainham jail.