Gaza Blockade Protests At Belfast City Hall

Started by Seosamh, June 06, 2010, 04:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seosamh

http://seosamhsonar.blogspot.com/2010/06/gaza-blockade-protests-at-belfast-city.html

As Irish peace activist and former Nobel Peace Laureate, Mairéad Corrigan Maguire, was taken into Israeli custody Saturday following the boarding of the Irish vessel Rachel Corrie by armed units of the Israeli Defence Forces, another equally famous Irish peace and justice campaigner, Bernadette Devlin McAliskey, was addressing a Gaza  blockage protest at Belfast City Hall, that afternoon.

The Irish ship, named in honour of the young American peace worker Rachel Corrie, who was killed by a bulldozer in Gaza while protesting the destruction of Palestine homes being demolished by the Israel government, was carrying humanitarian aid to the beleaguered citizens of Gaza.

When the news broke of the killings of aid workers by the IDF last Monday, an impromptu meeting in support of Gaza blockage runners was held at Belfast City Hall at which President of Sinn Féin, Gerry Adams, addressed protesters which included many members of Sinn Féin.

Saturday's protest was also attended by prominent members of Sinn Féin, including, MEP Bairbre De Brún, and MLA Gerry Kelly. If the irony of the attendance of Sinn Féin politicians and supporters at the event was lost on them then the fiery Ms. McAliskey was quick to remind them of it. Addressing the meeting Ms. McAliskey reminded the protesters that under new legislation supported by Sinn Féin such meetings would be illegal.

The ''Draft Public Assemblies, Parades and Protest Bill'', published on April 20, by the First Minister, (Peter Robinson, Democratic Unionist Party) and Deputy First Minister, (Martin McGuinness, Sinn Féin) would make it illegal for all gatherings involving 50 or more people, which take place in any ''public place'' without giving 37 working days notice to authorities. The legislation would also impose a £5, 000 fine and 6 months imprison for violations of the act.

Civil libertarians, community groups, trade unions and others, have expressed outrage at the proposed legislation and have vowed to mount an aggressive campaign to oppose it.

A public rally against the bill will take place on Saturday, June 26, at the Art College Gardens Belfast, and March to Belfast City Hall. The meeting will be addressed by leading trade unionists, campaigners, and community activists.

Useful links:
Facebook Page: No To Public Assemblies Bill.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=104617472916202&ref=ts

Facebook Page: Viva Palestina!
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=238347355199&ref=ts

Sadaka – The Ireland Palestine Alliance
http://www.sadaka.ie/

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Minder on June 06, 2010, 04:19:49 PM
What is a "community activist" ?
Someone on the brew working part time in some EU funded prisoners rehabilitation scheme. Or something.

Arthur_Friend

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 06, 2010, 04:24:07 PM
Quote from: Minder on June 06, 2010, 04:19:49 PM
What is a "community activist" ?
Someone on the brew working part time in some EU funded prisoners rehabilitation scheme. Or something.

Ah, so cynical for one so young.

Hardy

Tyrones own

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Hurler on the Bitch

Well, I see Gaza's trendy again! What ever happened to Tibet? Or even the Basque Country? No, everyone in West Belfast Sinn Fein is again a trendy Gaza internationalist. Our struggle, your struggle etc. Wonder how many free study visits the great and the good will get out of this one? Takes me to the fair it does. The guy from QUB who was interviewed on Radio Ulster on Tuesday - and I quote - "I feel as a student that I should come along and represent the educated people" really should be given a kicking. However, all false tears and posturing for a far off squabble. Perhaps the pseudo-intellectuals should sort west belfast out first before solving the Arab Israeli conflict! 

pintsofguinness

QuoteThe guy from QUB who was interviewed on Radio Ulster on Tuesday - and I quote - "I feel as a student that I should come along and represent the educated  people"
:D - what a w**ker
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Maguire01

I'm surprised the new 'Parades' bill hasn't been discussed here already. SF has really made a mess of this one. It would make it illegal for 50 people to protest at a hospital closure unless they gave adequate notice! The problem was parades, not public gatherings.

Minder

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 06, 2010, 11:03:46 PM
I'm surprised the new 'Parades' bill hasn't been discussed here already. SF has really made a mess of this one. It would make it illegal for 50 people to protest at a hospital closure unless they gave adequate notice! The problem was parades, not public gatherings.

It will be discussed, when glens abu and Nally Stand get paper in the fax machine.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

pintsofguinness

where did they get this idea from? China? Russia? Korea?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

thejuice

Was talking to a lad who was at a protest in Dublin outside the Israeli embassy. The embassy posted on its website that it would not be opening that day due to "violent protests". Yer man said they did nothing but stand around waving flags and drinking tea.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Nally Stand

Quote from: Minder on June 06, 2010, 11:09:14 PM

It will be discussed, when glens abu and Nally Stand get paper in the fax machine.

Typical mindset, anyone who speaks from an unapologetically republican viewpoint on this board gets ridiculed and told they are "rehearsing SF press statements". Could you maybe provide me with a direct quote from me which also appears in a Sinn Féin press statement? I am perfectly capable of thinking for myself Minder. My arguments generally are backed up with evidence or facts or are statements of opinion, and unlike yourself, I don't rely on snide smart ass comments which substitute in place of actual debate.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Maguire01

Any chance of your unprompted opinion on this one then?

Nally Stand

No problem - when I actually read what is being proposed in this bill and not the parts of it being highlighted here. If it turns out to be as simple as banning spontaneous protests I would be completely opposed to it.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore