SOON TO BE PUBLISHED VOICES FROM THE GRAVE

Started by Seosamh, February 16, 2010, 02:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seosamh

http://seosamhsonar.blogspot.com/2010/02/joe-oneill-2009-today-marks-2nd.html

Today marks the 2nd anniversary of the death of the Belfast IRA leader, Brendan "The Dark" Hughes.

A new book, Voices From The Grave - Two Men's War in Ireland, by journalist Ed Maloney, is expected to be in stores in the comming weeks. The release of the book, which is already posted, but not yet available on Amazon and other such sites, is eagerly awaited by those in TV, print media, and the blogesphere. The cause of their eager anticipation will be any new information which may emerge regarding the personal and political relationships between the President of Sinn Féin, and the self-confessed member of the organization of which Gerry Adams was never a member.

It is also expected that new information may come to light on the 1981 hunger strike controversy, as to whether or not a deal was on the table which may have saved lives.

In late 2,000, I interviewed Brendan Hughes in his apartment in Divis Towers Belfast. That interview which was published in the on-line magazine G21, is reproduced below.

For full interview:
http://seosamhsonar.blogspot.com/2010/02/joe-oneill-2009-today-marks-2nd.html

Eoghan Mag

Holds no weight whatsoever. Dead men can't talk. This is a non-starter.

ardmhachaabu

The book is going to be mighty interesting.  SF will be doing their best to discredit him if it does include truths too close to the bone

Not too long ago I was walking home from town with my Mrs and son, we came to the sliproad from the Westlink just opposite Divis Tower where Darkie lived and this plush limousine pulled up to turn left but had to stop. Martin McGuinness was in it and it occurred to me then that Martin has come a long way and that Darkie would have been disgusted at his former colleagues

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

orangeman

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on February 16, 2010, 08:28:50 PM
The book is going to be mighty interesting.  SF will be doing their best to discredit him if it does include truths too close to the bone
Not too long ago I was walking home from town with my Mrs and son, we came to the sliproad from the Westlink just opposite Divis Tower where Darkie lived and this plush limousine pulled up to turn left but had to stop. Martin McGuinness was in it and it occurred to me then that Martin has come a long way and that Darkie would have been disgusted at his former colleagues

That process has already started.

It will be interesting to see the content especially with regard to the Hunger Strikes.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on February 16, 2010, 08:28:50 PM

Would you mind telling me how someone like you who has no time for Sinn Fein or the IRA is willing to accept the word of someone like Brendan Hughes? Surely if you think so little of the Sinn Fein or the IRA you would think the same of Brendan Hughes?  I don't understand it. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ardmhachaabu

Simple pints

As much as I would have despised his politics, at least he was a man of principle and a man of honour.  I have never supported the use of violence, I have always thought it to be counter-productive in uniting people.  Men like Hughes though, I respect men like him.  You always know where you are with men like that unlike the current crowd. 
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

sandwiches_in_the_boot

To say the book can be ignored before you even know what it contains is incredible. Why not wait and read the bloody book before attacking it. To do so suggests other motivations.

Hughes would be well respected and just because he didn't toe the SF party line, doesn't mean he hasn't plenty to tell. FFS he was inside the provos a lifetime right beside Adams during some of the biggest events of our modern history.

This sit down and say nothing attitude in case it hurts the movement (ie Sinn Fein) doesn't stand any more.Time for full disclosure.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

Zapatista

I'm sure it will be an interesting and hopefully good book.

I'm sure it will be full of criticism of SF and the IRA but I don't think therre is much left to be told other than Hughes personal experiences which i'm really looking forward to.

In the interview in the link above Hughes puts across an opinion we have often heard. It's similar some those who joined other groups and some who left disillusioned. Nothing new though. His view on the politics of the struggle are no more or less relevant than the many other men and women who dedicated their lives to the struggle. Many who still do in a variety of ways. He claims he knew nothing about the IRA's decisions towards the end of the war (i believe him) and was told what was happening which he seems to have taken exception to. Again this is nothing new. Many others claimed the same. Many were briefed and decided to go another way when they lost the argument. It's all been lived through already by many others.

The problem will be the opotunist jumping on it. As was referred to earlier "dead men can't talk". from here on in hughes' words can be called whatever we want to call them. We can even call them new and revealationary.

Gaffer

Amazon have been messing me about as regards this book. Ordered it in early January and was told then that I would have it in mid Jan. Then email with apologies and said that I would have it by 14th Feb. Nothing arrived. I checked and noted that it is to be published on 18th March so why is Amazon giving me these earlier dates. It s  usually a reliable outfit.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Zapatista

Quote from: Gaffer on February 16, 2010, 09:42:45 PM
Amazon have been messing me about as regards this book. Ordered it in early January and was told then that I would have it in mid Jan. Then email with apologies and said that I would have it by 14th Feb. Nothing arrived. I checked and noted that it is to be published on 18th March so why is Amazon giving me these earlier dates. It s  usually a reliable outfit.

They are preparing you for the experiences you'll read about of dealing with the brits in the 1980 hungerstrike ;)

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: sandwiches_in_the_boot on February 16, 2010, 09:06:07 PM
To say the book can be ignored before you even know what it contains is incredible. Why not wait and read the bloody book before attacking it. To do so suggests other motivations.

Hughes would be well respected and just because he didn't toe the SF party line, doesn't mean he hasn't plenty to tell. FFS he was inside the provos a lifetime right beside Adams during some of the biggest events of our modern history.

This sit down and say nothing attitude in case it hurts the movement (ie Sinn Fein) doesn't stand any more.Time for full disclosure.
The bit I bolded is spot on

There is speculation at the minute in west Belfast that Darkie revealed what happened Jean McConville and who ordered it etc

lynchbhoy

would be very interested now if a book with some info from brendan hughes is released and he has apparantly said that there was a deal on the table in relation to the hunger strikes, as when I met and spoke to hughes at length in philadelphia when he was on a funds raising drive in america at the time - he confirmed that there was no deal , that the hunger strikers were not under any control of the Ira army council etc and a few other items.
He didnt get any money from me, but I thoroughly enjoyed the short film, presentation, Q&A session and the great chat I had with him afterwards.

if this book is anything like the farcical fictional fairy story released by richard orawe then it would be to detract from what hughes was, said and stood for while he was alive.

whatever your opinions on him, he was a charismatic and very interesting guy

Minder

Where is the official GaaBoard spokesman, Nally Stand?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Gaffer

Davy Irvine has made contributions to this book as well. His revelations could be interesting

As regards Darkie, he was a highly respected republican within their circle and anything thing he says in this book is going to be taken as the truth.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Nally Stand

He's right here ;-) I reserve judgement until I've read it. I do have reservations that it'l be another Richard O'Rawe re-write but as I say, I'll reserve judgement.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore