Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

What should Bobby Charlton have done that you know he didn't do? Some hero you are having a pop at an octogenarian crash survivor who has had to live with that all his life.

The club is owned by scumbags now and the Edwards family weren't a whole pile better beforehand. They should have treated the families and survivors better but they were/are businessmen who don't like to part with money unless they absolutely have to. Frankly these people should be treated with the contempt they deserve and mostly are by United supporters who have any idea of the clubs history. There's no way they'd listen to Charlton or even Busby. They fcuked over Busby's son after Busby died (the son had been promised he'd be allowed to keep running the souvenir shop I think) when they realised how much money they could make from merchandise.

The owners of the club may own it on paper and legally but they don't own the spirit of Manchester United and never will. That belongs to the supporters and always will and we will never let the memory die. Keep the red flag flying high.

Asal Mor

Charlton gets paid to take part in this charade knowing full well how his mates were screwed and turfed out onto the street.
Giles has often talked about how ruthless Busby was too. Great manager but zero loyalty. He regularly made promises to players when they were going well and left them in the gutter once they were past their best or got injured.
You're supporting a corporate entity, every one of whose players would skip off somewhere else if they got a better offer but keep flying that flag. Even better, buy the new official 2018 flag. The profit margins on it are great.

Asal Mor

Busby's son mightn't be responsible for his father's misdeeds but it's ironic that the club screwed him in the exact way his dad had screwed so many of his players.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Asal Mor on February 07, 2018, 09:50:41 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 07, 2018, 07:51:14 AM
Quote from: Asal Mor on February 07, 2018, 12:38:37 AM
I find it hard to look at the commemoration without cynicism. I suspect that at least part of the motivation in commemorating it to the extent they do is branding of the product. They should acknowledge the mistreatment of those families on days like today. It baffles me how people can feel an emotional attachment to these businesses. I'm glad we have the GAA (I know it's not perfect and some people get paid but still....).

I think in 1958 these clubs were less a business in relation to now and how they are branded , what happened to ex players was wrong but seemed to be the common thing! Doesn't make it right of course.. 

I think if such a thing happened today then the players and families would be well looked after. You have to look at it based on the time
I accept it was the culture at the time MR but does it not make ceremonies like yesterday seem farcical and disingenuous when they make such a fuss of the dead but gloss over their mistreatment of the wounded?

You'd have to look at what MS has said, they are owned by people who are intent on making money for themselves. Fans will  remember and not forget the hardships that the players families and those memebers of the press that were also onboard went through.

There many shows recalling that night are harrowing, and how players like Bobby and Harry went through, one thing sticks in my mind was the words of Jack Charlton on how Bobby changed personalities and he wasnt the Bobby he knew from growing up..

To me Bobby seems a very private person and wouldnt talk much about it, that shouldn't be a bad reflection on what he should say or didnt say
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

magpie seanie

Maroon Manc

The Edwards family really aren't popular among United fans, its nearly 20 years since I read about Louis Edwards became a shareholder at United and can't remember much of it but he certainly used unscrupulous means. United certainly should have treated the survivors of the crash differently but times were different back then and United weren't the financial juggernaut they are now.

Busby's family have been treated well by United, they had 4 free season tickets in the directors box I think or maybe they executive tickets up until the last 18 months, either way each ticket was worth £6000 a season.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Asal Mor on February 07, 2018, 10:20:58 AM
Charlton gets paid to take part in this charade knowing full well how his mates were screwed and turfed out onto the street.
Giles has often talked about how ruthless Busby was too. Great manager but zero loyalty. He regularly made promises to players when they were going well and left them in the gutter once they were past their best or got injured.
You're supporting a corporate entity, every one of whose players would skip off somewhere else if they got a better offer but keep flying that flag. Even better, buy the new official 2018 flag. The profit margins on it are great.

Harry Gregg is no fan of  Charlton and I think his apathy at how his team mates were treated is one of the reasons. Gregg is an abrasive character but he  shoots from the hip and couldn't give a toss how he is remembered at Old Trafford. Some of the things in his book is very critical of Busby to. Manchester's legacy and success today is built on that team and the way they were treated was a disgrace. Did Charlton ever thank Gregg publicly for dragging him from the wreckage, Gregg would have told him to F..k off if he did but that's not the point.
Great club but that was a terrible way to treat players who gave them so much.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Milltown Row2

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on February 07, 2018, 10:51:40 AM
Quote from: Asal Mor on February 07, 2018, 10:20:58 AM

Harry Gregg is no fan of  Charlton and I think his apathy at how his team mates were treated is one of the reasons. Gregg is an abrasive character but he  shoots from the hip and couldn't give a toss how he is remembered at Old Trafford. Some of the things in his book is very critical of Busby to. Manchester's legacy and success today is built on that team and the way they were treated was a disgrace. Did Charlton ever thank Gregg publicly for dragging him from the wreckage, Gregg would have told him to F..k off if he did but that's not the point.
Great club but that was a terrible way to treat players who gave them so much.

I said earlier, there are many clubs that have treated their best ex players with contempt when they fell on hard times, its not right but it happens, one example and I'm not sure if any of his ex clubs have done anything, Lee Hendrie, lost everything, even his parents home was taken off them when he was declared bankrupt, tried to take his own life twice! Not on his own in that regard
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

north_antrim_hound

Imm not familiar with Lee Hendries financial circumstances but I suspect he was paid a lot more than a Man U player in the 50s. You have to understand the players got severly hurt while on duty for the club and their resulting injuries deprived them of making a living in other ways. I don't think the two cases are comparable. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on February 07, 2018, 11:12:46 AM
Imm not familiar with Lee Hendries financial circumstances but I suspect he was paid a lot more than a Man U player in the 50s. You have to understand the players got severly hurt while on duty for the club and their resulting injuries deprived them of making a living in other ways. I don't think the two cases are comparable.

I think when you get to the brink of killing yourself not once but twice, you'd have to assume that he was in a bad way, and a small bail out would have helped.

I didnt say they were the same, i just said that plenty of clubs dont treat their past players with the respect you'd assume they should get..

Asal Mor

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 07, 2018, 10:37:29 AM
To me Bobby seems a very private person and wouldnt talk much about it, that shouldn't be a bad reflection on what he should say or didnt say
By being on the payroll and attending that farce without comment on what was done by the club to his team mates, he's condoning it, regardless of what his private thoughts might be.

North Antrim hound hits the nail on the head regarding the contrast between Gregg's actions and Charlton's.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Asal Mor on February 07, 2018, 01:34:32 PM
By being on the payroll and attending that farce without comment on what was done by the club to his team mates, he's condoning it, regardless of what his private thoughts might be.

North Antrim hound hits the nail on the head regarding the contrast between Gregg's actions and Charlton's.

Charlton had many payrolls before going back to Utd in the position he is in now, being there is part of job and as a mark of respect for collegues friends and loved ones. Saying he condoned the actions of what the owners did or didnt do is daft

But you are looking for an angle on this, that's really is strange, but sure carry on

magpie seanie

I shouldn't reply because it's clear all you're looking for is a row but your comments are a disgrace. You don't know the first thing about what Bobby Charlton has or has not done. To call the commemoration a farce is way over the top and clear incitement. It's also a big jump from your initial post on this subject which confirms you're nothing but a WUM.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 07, 2018, 01:46:36 PM

Charlton had many payrolls before going back to Utd in the position he is in now, being there is part of job and as a mark of respect for collegues friends and loved ones. Saying he condoned the actions of what the owners did or didnt do is daft

But you are looking for an angle on this, that's really is strange, but sure carry on

Anyones angle including myself on this subject doesn't hold much interest outside this board 
But Harry Greggs angle I would take on board all day long
I think he earned the right to speak about what happened on the day and what happened to the injured players afterwards
I seen pictures last night of the ceremony, there is Charlton sitting in the front Row with murhino,ferguson and Gregg is behind them. Chances are he didn't want to sit with them, we can only guess why.
With all his traits he comes across as a man of principles and certainly cut from a different cloth.

Asal Mor

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 07, 2018, 01:52:34 PM

I shouldn't reply because it's clear all you're looking for is a row but your comments are a disgrace. You don't know the first thing about what Bobby Charlton has or has not done. To call the commemoration a farce is way over the top and clear incitement. It's also a big jump from your initial post on this subject which confirms you're nothing but a WUM.
Maybe i was a bit over the top but would the wounded men and their families who were thrown onto the streets not consider it a farce? I imagine they would if any of them are still around and haven't been bought off in the meantime.

In fairness to Bobby if I was offered the kind of money he's on I'd sell out too.