Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffron sam2

Quote from: clootfromthe21 on October 05, 2009, 04:16:12 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on October 05, 2009, 02:45:31 PM
Billy Best (RIP) who was buried in Carrickfergus on Saturday was, I believe the last surviving member of the Antrim squad that reached the All-Ireland hurling final in 1943.

He was 89 when he died.

Was there some (albeit maybe tenuous) link between Billy Best and Georgie Best???

I have some memory of a puff piece around the time of the 89 Final making some connection between the two.

Billy and Dickie (George's da) were cousins.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

theskull1

Hatchet is that U21 result against StTeresas correct? 10-14 to 0-1

Thats a wild scoreline. I mind St Teresas having a fairly handy U21 team 2 years ago and took us very close on our way to the Final that year. Whats going on there?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

gelvis

Does anybody else find it strange how the Intermediate Final Replay has slipped under the radar?  Two weeks later and no reports in papers, on websites?

Was the game so bad that nobody wants to hear about it?
"If you worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on"

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: gelvis on October 06, 2009, 12:46:42 PM
Does anybody else find it strange how the Intermediate Final Replay has slipped under the radar?  Two weeks later and no reports in papers, on websites?

Was the game so bad that nobody wants to hear about it?

It looks like things have moved on - it's all on the "Lisbellaw hurling" thread now - just trying to throw people off the scent!

maxpower

Some eye opening results in the u21 championship, great win for st galls, is that not the st johns team that won the minor at this level

Also big result for Cushendall, Ballycastle looked to be strong at that level and too win so comfortably is impressive, perhaps losing the senior has helped focus their players on this level

Dunloy had a great result in Loughgiel, though Loughgiel hit fierce wides in the first half. Dunloy where much more economical with their chances and their big players performed
What happens next????

Minder

It is a desperate time to be playing U-21 matches, I would say the players just can't wait to the season is over.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

milltown row

Quote from: maxpower on October 11, 2009, 08:26:19 AM
Some eye opening results in the u21 championship, great win for st galls, is that not the st johns team that won the minor at this level

Also big result for Cushendall, Ballycastle looked to be strong at that level and too win so comfortably is impressive, perhaps losing the senior has helped focus their players on this level

Dunloy had a great result in Loughgiel, though Loughgiel hit fierce wides in the first half. Dunloy where much more economical with their chances and their big players performed

Minder your right poor time of the year to be playing under 21.

our lads played well yesterday, while St Johns were far more skillfull in most departments the St Galls lads had more heart and were far more determind.  Just like Dunloy all the big players had their big game. Burkey and CJ had great games and all the other lads that are on the senior squad, who have been training all season had great games also.

means we play Dunloy next. two players on that team play for the footballers. means training all week under 21 sat afternoon and Cavan Gaels on the Sunday (down there) and then a intermediate hurling semi final on the Tuesday night in Armagh!!!

oh and if we beat Dunloy, then the lads have a under 21 final the day before a possible interm. final!!! (ifs, buts, and maybe's i know)

better being in them than not

milltown row

Quote from: groundlie on October 11, 2009, 01:03:39 PM
Quote from: milltown row on October 11, 2009, 10:22:45 AM
Quote from: maxpower on October 11, 2009, 08:26:19 AM

Minder your right poor time of the year to be playing under 21.

our lads played well yesterday, while St Johns were far more skillfull in most departments the St Galls lads had more heart and were far more determind.  Just like Dunloy all the big players had their big game. Burkey and CJ had great games and all the other lads that are on the senior squad, who have been training all season had great games also.

means we play Dunloy next. two players on that team play for the footballers. means training all week under 21 sat afternoon and Cavan Gaels on the Sunday (down there) and then a intermediate hurling semi final on the Tuesday night in Armagh!!!

oh and if we beat Dunloy, then the lads have a under 21 final the day before a possible interm. final!!! (ifs, buts, and maybe's i know)

better being in them than not

The standard of hurling at the St Galls vs St Johns u21 game was awful. It is shocking that at U21 level most of the fellas can not do the basic things right. There was not one player yesterday that impressed. C-Dall or Dunloy would make light work of either team.

your being harsh groundlie, your half back line was very skillfull and the midfielder, Jude played well. like i said we wanted it more and our big players showed really well.

Guillem2

St Paul's beat Rossa today in Div 2 and deserved there win. That put paid to Rossa's chances of Div 1 next year and saves St Paul's from Div 3.

Takin out Chris Hamill after 5 mins was clearly the Pauls tactic & shopuld have ben punished with a red card IMO. But in the end the better team won & if we had takin the chances we had it could have been different.

Great to see Beller doin his bit for the association. He was acting as referees assessor as well as playing centre half back. Fair play to him.
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

milltown row

aye heard that result today, thought Rossa were going well lately.

Minder

Randalstown didn't field against us today.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

milltown row

aye they played in the football final the other night (beaten) i'd say they are a little pissed off at the minute. Glenariff's to lose now.

have you any talent coming through Minder?

Guillem2

Quote from: milltown row on October 11, 2009, 08:00:44 PM
aye heard that result today, thought Rossa were going well lately.

Hamill was a big loss. St Pauls took some good scores from way out in the second half; we couldnt do the same.
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

SaffronArmy

Any idea where the U21 semi-finals will be held next Sunday? Cushendall and Rossa should be a decent match, with some good young players on both sides. Have a feeling Dunloy will be too strong for St Galls. I'd go for Cushendall v Dunloy final.

milltown row

I'd say that Skull may get this wrong and hardstation may know the answer, but i think we beat that Dunloy under 21  team when they were minor.

game was played at our pitch (bottom one if i'm right) so they are looking forward to it and would have feared Loughgiel more than Dunloy