Jimmy McGuinness

Started by here comes 6, September 27, 2012, 08:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Altogether now,in a scouse accent!

Jimmy's winning matches
Jimmy's winning games
Jimmy's bringing the Champions League back to Anfield Road again!

mylestheslasher

Jimmys shite smells like roses apparently.

skeog

what a load of dung about nothing

LeoMc

Maybe nothing in it but Jimmy is an amateur manager of an amateur team. IF he is being offered a paid role it is something he would have to consider.

Croí na hÉireann

He was approached by Celtic according to the Times yesterday.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

yellowcard

On hogan stand website that Liverpool were interested in employing him as a sports psychologist.

cadence

how much do sports psychologists, even the most sought after, earn? if he's doing alright for himself where he is, he'll hardly leave the place and people he loves, and his dream job too, for a similar salary somewhere else without the perks. plenty time to go elsewhere when he's won us a few more sams and he's helped to bring about the changes in the set up and culture of donegal football, mentored and earmarked a few likely predecessors.

personally, i'd like him to be given as long as he wants to stay and can commit to it. he seems to have a good connection with the players and that's about enough spending time together. he really seems to get a kick out of it and loves what he's doing so he'll be upsetting the naysayers for a while yet. i'm reassured. we had reached the promised land and it seemed like we'd have to roam in the desert for 40 years, or worse still, as long as mayo.   

yellowcard

Has been quoted today as saying that he would have to consider his options if he received a professional offer. Could it be that Jimmy will not be winning any more matches with Donegal?

From the Bunker

Quote from: cadence on October 08, 2012, 08:06:25 PM
how much do sports psychologists, even the most sought after, earn? if he's doing alright for himself where he is, he'll hardly leave the place and people he loves, and his dream job too, for a similar salary somewhere else without the perks. plenty time to go elsewhere when he's won us a few more sams and he's helped to bring about the changes in the set up and culture of donegal football, mentored and earmarked a few likely predecessors.

personally, i'd like him to be given as long as he wants to stay and can commit to it. he seems to have a good connection with the players and that's about enough spending time together. he really seems to get a kick out of it and loves what he's doing so he'll be upsetting the naysayers for a while yet. i'm reassured. we had reached the promised land and it seemed like we'd have to roam in the desert for 40 years, or worse still, as long as mayo.

Remember that before you start counting Sams. That when it took a short time to get where you are, it can take just as short to get back to where you were! I'd say there was alot expected of the '92 team and see what happened there. Don't go counting chickens!

ross4life

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 08, 2012, 08:56:22 PM

Remember that before you start counting Sams. That when it took a short time to get where you are, it can take just as short to get back to where you were! I'd say there was alot expected of the '92 team and see what happened there. Don't go counting chickens!
The one thing that stood out was the age profile of that 1992 Donegal team Brian Murray,Martin Gavigan,James McHugh all 28,Matt Gallagher,Donal Reid,Martin Shovlin ,Anthony Molloy ,Martin McHugh,Joyce McMullan All 30 & Charlie Mulgrew 31 those players had to ship a lot of disappointments before reaching the promised land.

They had they chance to win it again in 1993 but after that they were gone the current Donegal side is alot younger if they keep McGuinness i expect them to be around for at least another 5 years & of course their downfall could happen if Jimmy decides to walk away.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Armamike

I'm not sure whether Liverpool would be in for McGuinness to be honest - they would have their pick of sports psychologists and there's a lot of them out there.
That's just, like your opinion man.

imtommygunn

The job he has done with Donegal is probably as good a job psychologically as could be done anywhere.

He got a team of boys who, allegedly, wouldn't commit and got them into having complete faith in him and their whole team. It wasn't like these boys were even close to winning an ai before him - they were miles away.

I would say he'd do a great job at a professional setup.

cadence

sorry ftb, just jesting. bit too soon for that i'm guessing.

cadence

Quote from: ross4life on October 08, 2012, 09:27:57 PM

The one thing that stood out was the age profile of that 1992 Donegal team Brian Murray,Martin Gavigan,James McHugh all 28,Matt Gallagher,Donal Reid,Martin Shovlin ,Anthony Molloy ,Martin McHugh,Joyce McMullan All 30 & Charlie Mulgrew 31 those players had to ship a lot of disappointments before reaching the promised land.

They had they chance to win it again in 1993 but after that they were gone the current Donegal side is alot younger if they keep McGuinness i expect them to be around for at least another 5 years & of course their downfall could happen if Jimmy decides to walk away.

i remember seeing martin mchugh against galway in croker in '83. took quite a few of that donegal squad a good number of years to finally climb the mountain. you could say the same about some of the members of the current squad. i suppose what's different now is that the u21 side have rejuvenated the lads that were there before and the culture, mindset and style of donegal football at county level has changed. 

it would be all different without mcguinness. we'd be screwed.

From the Bunker

Quote from: cadence on October 08, 2012, 09:58:55 PM
Quote from: ross4life on October 08, 2012, 09:27:57 PM

i remember seeing martin mchugh against galway in croker in '83. took quite a few of that donegal squad a good number of years to finally climb the mountain. you could say the same about some of the members of the current squad. i suppose what's different now is that the u21 side have rejuvenated the lads that were there before and the culture, mindset and style of donegal football at county level has changed. 

it would be all different without mcguinness. we'd be screwed.

How many of that 2010 All Ireland losing under 21 team are now part of this Donegal set-up?