Started by here comes 6, September 27, 2012, 08:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadence

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 08, 2012, 10:04:04 PM
Quote from: cadence on October 08, 2012, 09:58:55 PM
Quote from: ross4life on October 08, 2012, 09:27:57 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on October 08, 2012, 08:56:22 PM
Quote from: cadence on October 08, 2012, 08:06:25 PM
how much do sports psychologists, even the most sought after, earn? if he's doing alright for himself where he is, he'll hardly leave the place and people he loves, and his dream job too, for a similar salary somewhere else without the perks. plenty time to go elsewhere when he's won us a few more sams and he's helped to bring about the changes in the set up and culture of donegal football, mentored and earmarked a few likely predecessors.

personally, i'd like him to be given as long as he wants to stay and can commit to it. he seems to have a good connection with the players and that's about enough spending time together. he really seems to get a kick out of it and loves what he's doing so he'll be upsetting the naysayers for a while yet. i'm reassured. we had reached the promised land and it seemed like we'd have to roam in the desert for 40 years, or worse still, as long as mayo.

Remember that before you start counting Sams. That when it took a short time to get where you are, it can take just as short to get back to where you were! I'd say there was alot expected of the '92 team and see what happened there. Don't go counting chickens!
The one thing that stood out was the age profile of that 1992 Donegal team Brian Murray,Martin Gavigan,James McHugh all 28,Matt Gallagher,Donal Reid,Martin Shovlin ,Anthony Molloy ,Martin McHugh,Joyce McMullan All 30 & Charlie Mulgrew 31 those players had to ship a lot of disappointments before reaching the promised land.

They had they chance to win it again in 1993 but after that they were gone the current Donegal side is alot younger if they keep McGuinness i expect them to be around for at least another 5 years & of course their downfall could happen if Jimmy decides to walk away.

i remember seeing martin mchugh against galway in croker in '83. took quite a few of that donegal squad a good number of years to finally climb the mountain. you could say the same about some of the members of the current squad. i suppose what's different now is that the u21 side have rejuvenated the lads that were there before and the culture, mindset and style of donegal football at county level has changed. 

it would be all different without mcguinness. we'd be screwed.

How many of that 2010 All Ireland losing under 21 team are now part of this Donegal set-up?

6 from the first 15 that lined out.... mcgrath, walsh, mchugh, murphy, molloy and mcloone.

mylestheslasher

It would surely by ironic if he went off to Celtic or Liverpool. I mean the guy that expects amateurs to give up their lives to follow him would then feck off for a professional role somewhere else. Anyway, I doubt it will happen sound like a load of bull to me.

J70

Quote from: mylestheslasher on October 08, 2012, 10:31:28 PM
It would surely by ironic if he went off to Celtic or Liverpool. I mean the guy that expects amateurs to give up their lives to follow him would then feck off for a professional role somewhere else. Anyway, I doubt it will happen sound like a load of bull to me.

Surely you mean give up their lives to have a chance to win, same as players from places like Dublin and Clare have done  in the past?

I'd be disappointed  if he left, but if the opportunity came up you'd be hard pressed to find anyone in Donegal who'd begrudge him. Most of us would say thanks very much, best of luck and f**k the begrudgers.

Syferus

It's pretty clear that your emotional feeling on the topic are completely clouding the realities of an offer.

NaomhBridAbĂș

Quote from: J70 on October 09, 2012, 05:39:44 AM

Surely you mean give up their lives to have a chance to win, same as players from places like Dublin and Clare have done  in the past?

I'd be disappointed  if he left, but if the opportunity came up you'd be hard pressed to find anyone in Donegal who'd begrudge him. Most of us would say thanks very much, best of luck and f**k the begrudgers.

+1
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

theticklemister

According to packie bonnar on the wireless there jim mcguinness is a cert to head to celtic, no ifs or buts said big packie. The news reporter on the radio said daniel o donnell is on after 9, so no doubt we will definetly hear the truth then!

Nally Stand

"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

rodney trotter

Not a load of old media tripe after all, for those who thought it was.... part time but will probaly be full time in the future.

Hardy

Is Jimmy McGuinness the new Larry Reilly?

rodney trotter

Quote from: Hardy on November 08, 2012, 10:16:35 AM

No, Larry was a one - off.

Hardy

I dunno. There are no reggae songs about Larry Reilly. And no matter how you look at it, he's not winnin' matches. And he doesn't look like the Messiah, either.

rodney trotter

He didn't have the beard and the flowing locks, but not many players score went on mazy solo runs in Clones and scored wonder points, and still manage to look over weight. Larry was that man. ( unless you add Rory Woods)

The Worker

anglocelt39

Quote from: Hardy on November 08, 2012, 10:16:35 AM

Dunno Hardy I think he might have the makings of the new Seanie Johston
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

rodney trotter

The best point I can remember by Larry was also the most memorable as it was against Meath, the qualifier win in Clones 05. Ran Meath ragged that day, We might get him back for the league meeting next year in Navan.